SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
SL2Ghost42
SL2Ghost42 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2004 VUE 2.4L
Default I need to borrow something, also need ideas!

Anyone, anyone at all out there have a universal roof rack on their Saturn? Something that attaches and de-attaches easily?

I need to borrow it if you do! I'm willing to pay you the shipping costs to get it to me and also some extra for the privilage. I cannot afford to purchase one outright at all, especially since this is probably the only time I will need to do something like this.
I'm coming up on a holy-crap vacation that is going to take me into canada, and i'm coming back with waaaay more than I think my car can hold. There is no way to lighten my load any bit at all, except maybe 1 blanket, and shipping items back is not possible either, due to what i'm carrying back and why i'm getting it in the first place!

I have already searched the classifieds here, on craigslist, checked on Ebay (too expensive), done pricing on UHAUL, (More expensive!) and even random car-forum websites to no avail. Then again, not many people would advertise to have a roof rack available for rent!

If you do have something, or have other ideas how I can transport my light-yet-very-bulky load cheaply, PM me!

2000 SL2 107,000 "Little Saturn" - Daily Driver
2004 Vue 125,000 "The Vue" - Work Vehicle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Ghost42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Ghost42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2Ghost42 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I need to borrow something, also need ideas!

What kind of stuff are you trying to transport?!

But if it's just stuff like clothes and crap, you might be able to fit it all in the car. When I moved back to Durham, NC from Richmond,VA I packed my car full and it held quite a bit...I had the trunk loaded, the backseat packed and even the passenger's seat, LOL...and the car still rode great.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
94SW2
94SW2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SW2

Not sure what direction you are heading up, but if you go straight north from St. Louis, you will run fairly close to my house. I'll be taking the roof rack off the car for the season soon so it will just be sitting anyway....
Only thing I don't know is if the towers will match your roofline as mine is a '94 and you have a what, '02? It is a Thule rack - if you go to their website, find out what feet are for each car, if they are the same, you may use it. (Attaches fairly quickly...I can help install) Of course you'll have to either ship it back to me or drive it up (St. Lous is about 5hrs away...) - your call.

PM me if interested.

What are you hauling anyway?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

white powder isnt one of the things you should be transporting haha all in good fun. anyways, what exactly are you trying to transport becuase if you didnt know, Canada Customs makes you rip EVERYTHING out and put it all back in on your own time, and depending how much you bring back, i believe there is a limit in dollar value on how much you can take back with you.

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I would tow a small trailer. Better center of gravity. Harbor freight has some frame kits for $200; you could resell it locally for more than that when you're done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
SL2Ghost42
SL2Ghost42 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2004 VUE 2.4L

Okay, people asked....
Here's the list of stuff i will have to transport on my way back from Detroit...

-My large bag which will have to fit 6 days worth of clothing (I can't do laundry anywhere on my trip)
-My large Hammered Dulcimer
-a 100 watt Crate Acoustic Amp
-Dulcimer Stand (music stand)
-Two sporty wheelchair frames
-THREE sets of wheelchair wheels
-1 pair of forearm crutches
-My two blankets and a pillow
-My borrowed Aerobed
-Another person in the passenger seat
-His bag
-His desktop computer and monitor
-His laptop
-His two camcorders
-His two tripods

Yep. All that. In the backset and trunk of a Saturn while going from Detroit to Chicago (after which I drop off my friend). I....somehow don't think it'll work well.

I don't think i'll have a problem with weight as it's all light, it's just all BULKY!
As for canada, there won't be a problem when in canada. Plus the goods i'm hauling that i'm bringing, are medical goods and therefore, not subject to customs fees. Also, I have proof of payment, and I doubt that what I paid for the wheelchairs will raise any suspicions. Total cost: $375 that i will have paperwork for at my time of border crossing. I'll also be crossing with a canadian who i'm bringing down to the convention, so I doubt there will be problems on that side. I've thought that part out already, and I will have my passport with me too.
PMing you 94SW2!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Ghost42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Ghost42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2Ghost42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

wowzers, i was going to suggest taking out the passenger's seat as well as the rear seats. i did that to my '93 SC2 that i'm using to temporarily haul stuff to the recylcers. it's amazing how much room you end up with when those seats are out. i call it my "work coupe" now, LOL.

looks like you're on the right track with the Thule rack or the small U-Haul trailer.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Check out this web site for a rack. www.Yakima.com then click choose my rack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Maybe you should just rent a bigger vehicle, LOL. Perhaps an SUV or a minivan, LOL.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 AM   #10
SL2sleeper
SL2sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Unfortunately my carrier wonít ship to well because it is huge being a THULE Evolution 1600. The only thing you might be able to use would be the cross bars and possibly the feet but you would still need the attachments to the car since mine are specific for roof rails.
I did a trip from Ventura California to NYC in a 98 Nissan pathfinder with 2 cats and 3 people. We used the THULE Evolution 1600 roof cargo carrier the truck was packed full but was smooth the entire way. That trip took a week because we stopped to visit family, friends and sites.
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

A couple of months later we did another trip from Ventura California to Atlanta Georgia with a full moving truck, 24 footer (I think) and also a car on a full trailer (96 civic dx the mother-in-law's car).

In the first 23 hrs we were east of Oklahoma City somewhere I donít remember exactly I was tired. We didnít want to drive through TX to long so we went north. I slept for around 1 hr then off to GA in another 8. Total trip time 32hrs and should have been 39.5 if you can do the drive non-stop (gas, tolls, hunger, bathroom, COFFEE!!). I did all the driving on both trips.

Do you think I was in a hurry or should I try out for the cannonball?
If I had the time I would do the drive for you in nothing flat while you slept and everything packed away nicely in my new SUV as we towed your Saturn.

ER OUT

No traction control but no need it is a 5 speed

In the end ride quality means nothing performance is everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote