SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
jacoby_jason
jacoby_jason is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Aftermarket Audio/Advanced Audio

I was going to get a new head unit for my car today, but the installer at best buy advised me that since I had the advanced audio, I needed an entire rewiring of the car and would have to bypass the built in amp altogether.

My question is: Is there an adaptor I can get that will integrate the advanced audio amplifier with a new deck?..I really don't want to spend the extra money to have the car re-wired.

I have:

2003 ION 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacoby_jason's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacoby_jason reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacoby_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Aftermarket Audio/Advanced Audio

I believe the AAS amp uses the same connector as the radio itself. An aftermarket speaker harness could be converted to a bypass plug. In other words, feed the amp inputs straight to the corresponding ouputs. Having the schematics for your year would help. Some basic skills are needed. You will probably have to move pins and I'm not sure if the adapters come with enough wires. You need 16 wires/pins and I think there's only 15 included in a standard speaker harness adapter. Just buy 3 harnesses (one for the HU) and you will be all set. All you would need to do for installation is pull the connector from the amp (under the rear deck) and plug it into the adapter. Returning to stock would be just as easy.

And any decent installer should be able to do this for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Gawd
Gawd is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

No need to rewire the entire car, just find a wire harness that covers all electrical and audio details, which do exist.

I installed a car deck into my 06 Ion, no problems with that.

Thing is... I wouldn't really trust a Best Buy installer, I went to one BB and the dude said I couldn't use their dash kits because the airbag light was in the radio, I told him it wasn't, he was adament it was, I told him I wanted a specific kit and I know what I'm talking about, he said the kit is for another car and won't fit mine, I said yes it will cuz they're compatible, he said he didn't have any.

Ergh.

"We're busy, busy... breeding, building, buying."
---------------------------------------
Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gawd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gawd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
jacoby_jason
jacoby_jason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawd
No need to rewire the entire car, just find a wire harness that covers all electrical and audio details, which do exist.
Ergh.
Thanks for the info, any idea where I can find this harness?...I looked on crutchfield.com, but did not find anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacoby_jason's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacoby_jason reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacoby_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
Gawd
Gawd is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I got mine from ebay... there are other places to get'em... search the forums and I'm sure you can find a place.

"We're busy, busy... breeding, building, buying."
---------------------------------------
Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gawd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gawd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
OneFanToAnother
OneFanToAnother is on a distinguished road

That Best Buy guy is straight up wrong. You also do NOT need to buy more than one wiring harness (just one for the deck).

There are two connections to that original amp (which is a total POS, btw). All you need to do is buy crimps (butt joints - about $1.25 for 7) and a crimping tool (about $5). Cut the plug ends off both sets of wirings and crimp the lines together with the crimps. Just crimp same color to same color. Or pay 20 bucks (or whatever) to have an installer do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OneFanToAnother's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OneFanToAnother reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OneFanToAnother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFanToAnother
... All you need to do is buy crimps (butt joints - about $1.25 for 7) and a crimping tool (about $5). Cut the plug ends off both sets of wirings and crimp the lines together with the crimps. Just crimp same color to same color. Or pay 20 bucks (or whatever) to have an installer do it.
Why would you butcher your wiring harness for a $6 connector? The colors do NOT match and I'd rather wire up a bypass plug on the bench than lay on my back trying in the trunk trying to wire it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

well theres a amp turn on for the stock amps and the aftermarket deck might not beable to power them on for them to work rite but i guess its worth a try..if u even know what im talking about lol

VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
OneFanToAnother
OneFanToAnother is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut
Why would you butcher your wiring harness for a $6 connector? The colors do NOT match and I'd rather wire up a bypass plug on the bench than lay on my back trying in the trunk trying to wire it up.
Hu? My original stock amp died (because it's a fuseless POS) and I would never have any intention of replacing it so keeping the original wiring intact is a non-issue, and re-crimping the wires was easy and took about twenty minutes.

I will rewire the whole thing at some point but since I'm running the rear speakers of the HU at the moment I figured I'd just leave them on the original wiring.

I'm not sure what wiring harness or $6 connector you are refering to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OneFanToAnother's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OneFanToAnother reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OneFanToAnother is offline   Reply With Quote