SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Dan48382
Dan48382 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Living in the past?

I think that maybe time has passed me by. Iíve been a backyard mechanic since you set the dwell through the window on the distributor cap (GM Vehicles).

Iíve stuck with the simple repairs, being a backyard mechanic. Iíve replaced a head gasket, helped switch out an engine on my 1984 S-10 and YES you do have to separate the body from the frame to get to the top bolts on the bell housing.

From the early years, Iíve had a bench grinder with a wire wheel that I use to clean ALL of the bolts that Iíve removed. When I put things back together I put on some anti-seize and thatís that.

Thanks to the GREAT INFO IN THIS FORUM this last weekend I was working on my Ď95 SC-2 (turned 190,000 miles this last week) a neighbor stopped by to take a look. When I got to the point of cleaning the bolts, I was told that the bolts that the manufactures have used for some time are coated and that Iím causing more problems that Iím preventing.

Is this right??? Do I need to step into the 2000ís?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan48382's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan48382 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dan48382 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Living in the past?

As a technician,I have worked for a few car makes (Toyota,Ford,Hyundai) since 1992 and the only "special coating" that I have seen is loc-tite on the threads.

Want more gun control? Then use both hands.

Last edited by mkuz13; 10-04-2006 at 09:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkuz13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkuz13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Maybe he's thinking they are galvanized?

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Replacing the bolts would actually be a better idea. Bolts stretch over time and mileage and new ones would restore the force available from each bolt.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan48382
helped switch out an engine on my 1984 S-10 and YES you do have to separate the body from the frame to get to the top bolts on the bell housing.
?
Yup, been there, done that, more than just a couple of times. I actually contemplated, if I ever had to do it again, taking a hole saw and cutting a 1 inch hole in the hump in the floor pan where those bolts are. I would then get some plastic or rubber plugs to insert after the job was done.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
BIGDAVE54
BIGDAVE54 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2001 SL1

I was born in 1954. My first vehicle when I was a 2 stripper in the USAF was a 1954 Ford pickup truck. I had just turned 18...The truck had too.I had a leaking freeze plug on the back side of the engine...I took a chisel went through the firewall/floorboard area,pulled the rotten freeze plug,and tapped a new one back in.A tin can and some pop rivets and I was good to go. I kinda wish I still had that ole truck. I became a man in that truck in Texas. I had a few bucks left so I went across the border to Mexico and became a man again...Wife says say good night ...that is too much info..Good Night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BIGDAVE54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BIGDAVE54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BIGDAVE54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

and i am a young guy, only 48.

but i am glad that i have a saturn because it allows me to ease into this whole mechanic thing and learn as-i-go.

2nd cylinder head gasket job this weekend going on now (different cars, first was blown valve, this one coolent leaking into the cylinders)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote