SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 09-28-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
twilson16
twilson16 is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Saturn ION Thermostat Location

Hi, I own a beautiful 2005 Saturn but the other day i was driving and my a/c went from cold to hot!! and my motor temp went up close to the red so i killed it and coasted to the side of the road. When I go to start it it wont idle and it runs like crap, spittering and sputtering and get hot really quick. My Resivoir was busted so it didnt have any water pressure it now replaced!!!! I am trying to get the thermostat replaced and am puzzled as to where its at and how to do it. I need help please I am out of town and am trying to get back soon. Its a 2005 Saturn Ion Sedan I need Thermostat Location and removal and anything else that you guys may thing is bad. Wouldnt hurt to do a temp sensor while im at it. I Believe that the fan is running. Any Help is apprec. Ill be working on it all day tomorrow so e-mail me at twilson16@hotmail.com or call me would be better 954-650-7761

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twilson16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twilson16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twilson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2005 Saturn ION Thermostat Location

do u hear a loud whind noise when it is over heating and u turn off the engin if it does this the fan is still working...

VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
twilson16

Yes the fan works! Where is the dang thermostat on this car????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help twilson16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
06Laser
06Laser is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The best I've found on the web thus far is that it's a normal thermostat and it appears to be located at the bottom hose (like a water cooled VW) right next to the water pump.

Follow your bottom radiator hose towards the engine block and you should see a housing for the thermostat where the hose connects.

Again, I'm looking at part descriptions on the internet and haven't searched for mine as it's still brand new. The sketches leave a lot to the imagination.

However, if you think about it logically there's only two places for it...the top hose or the bottom hose where either meet the engine. You should be able to tell.

If you can't find it, then maybe it's worth the money to have somebody do it for you.

Good luck.

p.s. Who cares what it sounds like when it's overheating. It's past the point to worry about...and if the overflow reservoir was broken with no water or pressure then it's possible the motor is fried...it's aluminum and deserves great attention to temperature. They don't take much to warp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06Laser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06Laser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
SpeedyIon
SpeedyIon is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

1) Drain the cooling system

2) Remove the bolts that secure the thermostat housing to the water pump feed pipe.

3) Remove the feed pipe.

4) Remove the thermostat and retaining sleeve, noting the orientation for installation.

To Install:

1) Install the thermostat and retaining sleeve with the dimple placed into the housing slot.

2) Install the feed pipe that connects the thermostat housing to the water pump.

3) Install the bolt that secures the water pump feed pipe, and tighten the bolt to 18 inch lbs.(10 Nm).

4) Fill the cooling system.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC
www.ionforums.net - Forum For Saturn Ion Owners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedyIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedyIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedyIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
twilson16

Ok Replaced the thermo today and it still gets hot!!.. When i crank the car water suck in for a sec and then gets pushed back out of the coolant recovery tank. Any suggestion ???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

are u sure all of the air is out of the system? how many miles does ur car have?

VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
SpeedyIon

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson16
Ok Replaced the thermo today and it still gets hot!!.. When i crank the car water suck in for a sec and then gets pushed back out of the coolant recovery tank. Any suggestion ???
Ok, you have a 2005 right. Don't you still have the warranty??? If so, take it to the dealer.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedyIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
twilson16

No warranty It has like 65K on it. So it is out of warranty. What else could it be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
SpeedyIon

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

First of all, this may sound like a stupid question, but did you replace the coolant that was removed from the system?

Second, are you absolutely sure that you installed the thermostat correctly?

Third, what do you mean by "the car water suck in for a sec and then gets pushed back out of the coolant recovery tank," what exactly is it doing, is it sucking all the fluid from the tank then the level returns to norm?

Fourth, with the engine running, is there fluid spraying into the tank(from the hose that connects at the right side(aka passenger side))?

Finally, make sure no matter what that the fan is working, I know you said it is but I don't know how you checked so I have to say this. When you start it up next time let it run for a while until the fan starts or it starts to seem like its overheating. Norm gauge reading should be about half way.

Now understand this, I am doing my best to help you in this matter, some questions may sound stupid but they needed to be asked to diagnose the problem. Just don't get upset, otherwise I won't be inclined to help.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
liubhs02
liubhs02 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Maybe you have a broken water pump.
If you have a working thermostat and fan, I don't see what else can be the problem except the water pump, unless something is clogged up in your water jacket, in which case, you are pretty SOL. Even if you have air in your system, it gets automatically purged out. There's nucleated boiling within the block all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liubhs02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liubhs02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liubhs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
HeroHog
HeroHog is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Another possibility is a blown head-gasket or cracked head. These 2 are unlikley and are usually identified by either water in the oil (the oil looks like chocolate milk) or bubbles in the water return to the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HeroHog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HeroHog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HeroHog is offline   Reply With Quote