SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
Jarryn
Jarryn is on a distinguished road

Default Drum Brakes or Disc??

Hiya, my friend is to cocky to ask.. lol does his car have drum or disc brakes on his 1998 Saturn SL2, and if so how hard would it be to change to disc?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jarryn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jarryn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Drum Brakes or Disc??

If he can't tell by looking I wouldn't trust him to do the work safely.

Maybe he should get those hubcaps at walmart with the fake cross drilled rotors visible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

It would have disc up front and either disc or drum in the rear. It's not hard to change to disc in the back, but I agree that if he can't tell by looking then I wouldn't trust him to do anything more than put gas in the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarryn
Hiya, my friend is to cocky to ask.. lol does his car have drum or disc brakes on his 1998 Saturn SL2, and if so how hard would it be to change to disc?
if he has abs, he's got rear discs. if he doesn't, he's got drums.

both work equally well in almost all situations. the discs excel when it comes time to maintenance them, tho. if you're racing, you will change brakes often and it's WAY easier with discs. if you're not, don't bother swapping (unless you're going for the show car look) because you won't get any performance gains...

s3aturnr

edit: i REALLY hope you were just talking about the rear brakes. drums haven't been used on front brakes for passenger cars in over 30 years...

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Jarryn
Jarryn is on a distinguished road

Thank you much he has ABS and yes i was talking about just rear... lol and he was to lazy to look to see lol thank you much

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jarryn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jarryn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
he was to lazy to look
Another reason not to trust him to wrench on your car, esp. your brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Wrench Re: Drum Brakes or Disc??

Quote:
I can't tell from here
You can look under the car inside the rear wheels to see if there are rear disc's there or drums. The front brakes are disc's for sure. You can swap the rear drums for disc's. SPS has a kit with all the parts needed http://www.spswebpage.com/store/inde...5196a761eb16c5

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR
if he has abs, he's got rear discs. if he doesn't, he's got drums.
Educate me here. Was this statement true just for certain years? My 2000 SW2 has ABS and rear drum brakes.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
Educate me here. Was this statement true just for certain years? My 2000 SW2 has ABS and rear drum brakes.
Certain years and models. Only the sedans and coupes had rear discs with ABS. And only, IIRC, up to about '98 or '99.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

My wagon has ABS as well and drums in the rear. But it stops well enough so I haven't bothered to do a rear disk conversion.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
you're absolutely correct. after 98 or 99, the abs system was built with rear drums. not sure what year was the first, tho.

i KNEW the 98s with abs had rear discs because i almost traded mine back in the day for one when the 98s first came out...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
S3aturnR
Master Member

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
My wagon has ABS as well and drums in the rear. But it stops well enough so I haven't bothered to do a rear disk conversion.
never heard of it before 99 model year before, but i guess anything's possible. can you post pics of your master cylinder and rear drums? i'd like to have a peek...

s3aturnr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
never heard of it before 99 model year before, but i guess anything's possible. can you post pics of your master cylinder and rear drums? i'd like to have a peek...
The wagons always had rear drums. I've got the ramps out (new catalytic coming soon), so if the brain cells storing the reminder don't die between now and this evening, I'll take a pic or two. AFAIK, the rear reluctors are on the hubs, which (again, AFAIK) are common between rear disc and drum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Quote:
s3aturnr
Certainly, here are a few pictures. My mom was the original owner of the car and she ordered it custom from spring hill. From what she told me, you could only get rear disks if you did not order ABS. If you ordered ABS in the wagon you could only get rear drums, I know its strange since you could get it in the sedan. Anyway, being Florida the ABS has saved my butt a few times while doing a panic stop in the rain. So I'm glad I have the ABS regardless.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote