SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Robert H.
Robert H. is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L
Post VUE horn location - adding 2nd horn?

Hi...

I have a 2005 VUE 2.2L, which came with the standard single horn. The horn is not very loud at highway speeds, which can create a dangerous situation if someone can't hear you as they're drifting into your lane. So...I thought that I would add a 2nd horn as most vehicles seem to have. I've done this myself on older cars, but when trying to locate the horn yesterday, other than it appearing to be someone on the driver's side under the hood, it wasn't visible from above or below. I'm guessing that it's hidden underneath something else? Anyone know exactly where it is, and what you have to remove to get at it? Also, has anyone added a 2nd horn? Again on older cars, I remember the horn having a terminal on the side that you could simply hook another horn onto - not sure if newer horns are this simple to add onto?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robert H.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robert H. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robert H. is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: VUE horn location - adding 2nd horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H.
Hi...

I have a 2005 VUE 2.2L, which came with the standard single horn. The horn is not very loud at highway speeds, which can create a dangerous situation if someone can't hear you as they're drifting into your lane. So...I thought that I would add a 2nd horn as most vehicles seem to have. I've done this myself on older cars, but when trying to locate the horn yesterday, other than it appearing to be someone on the driver's side under the hood, it wasn't visible from above or below. I'm guessing that it's hidden underneath something else? Anyone know exactly where it is, and what you have to remove to get at it? Also, has anyone added a 2nd horn? Again on older cars, I remember the horn having a terminal on the side that you could simply hook another horn onto - not sure if newer horns are this simple to add onto?

Thanks!
Welcome to the board!
The horn is behind the drivers side headlights (I have an 06 - probably he same setup)...I had to remove four 10mm bolts along the top (two above the headlamps, and two above the centre grill - helps you remove the headlamps). I installed a Monza horn....huge difference...cuts right through any cell phone conversation....
http://www.rainerialpex.it/mod__300_-_301.htm

There have been other posters who suggest this one;
http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm (electropneumatic horns -Nautilus series)

Whatever one you choose, install is quite easy...finding a place to mount it took some doing, but I came up with a way that avoid any drilling (hate drilling holes in 'Silven' - myVue). So, I went to Home Depot (anyplace with a huge assortment of 'oversized washers' will do). I got monster washers and used the existing holes on the vertical support frame between the engine bay and light housing area...there are two holes that can be used to mount the horns (bracketed them together), and compresser...if you go that route. I used a relay (came in package), and the trigger is my OEM horn...works prefectly!!! It great, because when I set my alarm, the OEM horn chirps, as the signal isn't strong enough to fire up the big horns (hate it when folks set thier alarms and it wakes up the neighborhood)...yet when in traffic, the pressing of the horn button, the small horn goes off a millisecond before the big ones.....Very seamless...works for me....The general population seems to get the message...

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

My SC had a cavity in the front end where I could put a whole row of air horns. I had a Fiamm 3 air horn unit for a while. Two years ago I replaced the 3 air horms with a 5 air horn General Lee - Dixie horn. The compressor was noisy and the pitch on one of the horns was off a bit. I'm not sure if you experience wih musical air horn systems was typical.

I left the factory horn in place and located the control relay by the existing horn so I could swap horns when getting an inspection sticker.

Saturn could have made a lot of money offering a dealer installed second horn option and making it easy to install.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Robert H.
Robert H. is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L

Thanks guys for the great info. and advice!

I can see that this board will come in very handy for my VUE as it has for my other cars in the past!

Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robert H.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robert H. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robert H. is offline   Reply With Quote