SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
kaseyskar
kaseyskar is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default ignition switch or lock cylinder?

key not needed to start car. ignition switch or lock cylinder, which ever part is (what is the difference by the way) turns freely to start car. What do I need to replace? thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaseyskar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaseyskar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaseyskar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: ignition switch or lock cylinder?

First thing I'd do is lubricate it. Get a fresh key cut (based on the car's VIN; DON'T use your old key). Put some lightweight oil, lock lube if you can get it, on the key, and do "the old in-out, in-out".

If that fails, then it's the lock cylinder that needs replaced. Lots of recent threads here on what an, er, adventure that is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

LOL! I wish I could make my ignition to turn freely without jamming the key on the way out. At least that I know I'll be able to drive it until I save enough money for getting the new one installed.

Quote:
key not needed to start car.
Btw, what do you turn it with?? There's nothing to grab on to by hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
kaseyskar
kaseyskar is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

It can be turned with a large paper clip, tip of the key only, screwdriver, scissors...the possibilities are endless! Once the ignition is flipped it keeps running with the object safely removed and therefore "not running with scissors"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaseyskar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaseyskar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaseyskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
erastoten
erastoten is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1
Question Re: ignition switch or lock cylinder?

I have Saturn SC 1998 .

Lately I am having hard time with turning key to start up my car.
I can put key in cilinder and turn it just a bit but it won't go all the way and I don't want to push it hard in fear I could brake the key (now that would be fun). Sometimes I had tu turn it from 5 to 10 times to successfully start the car..., and trust me it's nerve vrecking...
Same goes for both doors locks... ai, ia, ai...
Did anyone have same problem and what would be the best solution. Today I was at Car_wreckers place, bought two hub-cups and mats (used) for $25.00CD good deal. And the guy told me that they sell Ignition switch/lock all shebang, but together with steering wheel. Is it complicated to replace it or should I ask for experts help? And Is there "how to" manual somewhere in this forum?

On the other note I changed ECT sensor in my car following how-to wolfs and some other guy instructions from this forum. And since I am complete dummy with two left hands ( I'm right handed ) for cars I am so proud of my self Of coarse all credit goes to those that provided such a wonderful instructions. Well I have to change my Serpentine Belt ( if I named it corectly ) and I guess for now that's it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serpentine.JPG (31.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by erastoten; 09-25-2006 at 06:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erastoten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erastoten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erastoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

First thing I'd do is get a fresh key cut. Get it cut based on the VIN, NOT re-cut from the old key. (Since the problem is both the doors and the ignition lock, the key is the common factor.)

About your serpentine belt, I'd say it's about time, given the cracks the photo shows. It's a cheap enough part, and easy enough to change, esp. if you don't know how old the existing belt is, I'd go for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
erastoten

1998 SC1

I never knew I can cut the key fresh from the VIN number!
Hmm... I am wondering if my Saturn Dealership can do that.
Thank you for intel.

Ah yeah on ECTS I gues I will have to change the "Bell Connector" since 15 min ago my throtle got stuck again at 1700 RPM...
Lets hope that will solve problem for good....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help erastoten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erastoten
I never knew I can cut the key fresh from the VIN number!
Hmm... I am wondering if my Saturn Dealership can do that.
I believe the dealership is the only place you can have a key cut from the VIN.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
I believe the dealership is the only place you can have a key cut from the VIN.
Provided you bring proof of ownership, any locksmith can cut a key from the VIN.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
erastoten

1998 SC1

Many thanks, for this advice. I was today at my Saturn Dealership and made brand new key out of my VIN number and my problem is gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Best $3 fix ever. At our dealer, if you buy a standard plastic-head key, they'll cut a cheapo Ilco flat steel key for free. Trim some off the head, and you've got a wallet key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
erastoten

1998 SC1

Wallet key saved me several times when in hurry I locked my key in the car.
Well today I got one with plastic head, tomorow I'm goin' to make one flat one at nearby locksmith... hence two old ones are for garbage...
Ya da man madpogue, you saved me big trouble and lotsa greenones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!