SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
markdn2001
markdn2001 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1995 SC2
Information Aura issues

Well today I went to the car wash, the car was nice and clean, but the Onstar/XM radio antenna was missing . Of course the carwash said they would look for it, that it may be on the line. They no longer take responsibility for them becuase it happens all the time. The manager said Caddies are their worse offenders even though Caddies have them on the back. I figured since it wasn't aftermarket it wouldn't come off that easy. I guess you learn from mistakes. Hopefully its covered under warrenty, even if its not hopefully they dont overcharge for a piece of plastic.

Second I went back to the dealer becuase the high beam was burnt out. I drove it off the lot that way, but was aware before I signed the contract. The consultant was rather embaressed because they were suppose to check stuff like that and it had 7 miles on it. So they said just bring it back when I pick op my plate.
So today the plate came in. After he put the plate on I asked if they could replace the bulb. ( Keep in mind, I wasnt being lazy or cheap about doing it myself, I just figure if I buy a new car it should all work originally). Well they didnt have the bulbs yet. They were willing to take a bulb off of another Aura.
But here is the issue, I havent checked for myself just yet, but aparently they have to take off the whole Front Facia to replace the bulbs. It would have taken at least 2 hours becuase they would have had to do it to two cars so they whould have a bulb to put in. I told them just wait till the bulb comes in so it wont take so long.

I was wondering how the bulbs would be replaced when I noticed there is no where to fit a hand between the frame and lens assembly. I guess I was right, but I just thought the lens assembly whould come out individually, guess not. Ill keep updates if anything else wierd happens. I still love the car, just letting people know what to expect. Hoping others will do the same.

I am attaching the picture of the antenna base without the antenna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sep05_0001.jpg (3.1 KB, 143 views)

SGT Mark D. U.S. Army
TOTALED Apr 09~ RIPieces ~ 2007 Saturn Aura XR M-Blue
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2494357/1
SOLD Mar 09 ~1995 Saturn SC2,
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/589660

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to markdn2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help markdn2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
markdn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Aura issues

An hour to replace a lightbulb? Who's the bright engineer who thought of that??? If you service your car at the dealer religiously, its not an issue. However, up here in Canada bulbs burn out in January and February, when temperatures are well below zero. Salt spray coats the headlamp lens and causes the bulbs to overheat and burn out. Basically, if you have to change a bulb, it usually happens in the dead of winter. An hour (make that more if its -20C temps) to change a bulb will certainly test my patience

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

How often do you have to change bulbs, anyway? Every few years?

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

The Ion is listed at an hour, too. I replaced my factory bulbs with a slightly brighter pair in about 20 minutes. Both of them. They don't take off the fascia to change the bulbs, they just undo the pushpins holding the headlight onto the radiator support. It's just like changing the bulbs in a L-series; pull the headlight, replace the bulb, put the headlight back on. There's no room to put your hand on an L-series and those don't take an hour to replace, a couple pins and a tug, you've got the light out in about 20 seconds...including opening the hood.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
KCAura
KCAura is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I had a similar issue with a headlight on am old truck, bought it brand new with a headlight out. 2 service guys and a manager were dismanteling my truck as I quietly read the manual. I walked over 10 min into the process and pulled the 2 pins behind the headlight assembly to release it! They were all a bit embarassed! I imagine that the Aura has a similar set up. Will check when the wife gets back from the store!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
markdn2001

2007 AURA XR
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCAura
I had a similar issue with a headlight on am old truck, bought it brand new with a headlight out. 2 service guys and a manager were dismanteling my truck as I quietly read the manual. I walked over 10 min into the process and pulled the 2 pins behind the headlight assembly to release it! They were all a bit embarassed! I imagine that the Aura has a similar set up. Will check when the wife gets back from the store!
I am going to check mine an see if I find it in there. I still couldnt believe they were about to take my whole front end off to replace a bulb.

SGT Mark D. U.S. Army

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help markdn2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
markdn2001

2007 AURA XR
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Not that much but its usually in the winter when it happens and if it is true I have to take my car apart for something so simple, it wont be fun in the cold.

SGT Mark D. U.S. Army

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Well, if he drove off the lot with only 7 miles on it, one could assume several times a year.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
markdn2001

2007 AURA XR
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
Well, if he drove off the lot with only 7 miles on it, one could assume several times a year.
Actually that was pretty funny, I hope it isnt the case lol.

I looked it up in the manual, here is what it says (Page 342).....

BULB REPLACEMENT

For the type of Bulb to use, see Replacement Bulbs on page 344.

For any bulb changing procedures not listed in this section, ccontact your retailer.

(Then there is the Halogen Bulb warning)

Taillamps, Turn Signal, Sidemarker, Stoplamps and Back-up Lamps
(Picture of rear lens assembly, with descriptions)

If a stoplamp or a taillamp needs to be replaced, you will need to see your Saturn Retailer.

(The rest is how to change the sidemarker, turn signal and backp up lamps)

Nothing so far that I have found or seen without taking several portions of the vehicle apart. I'll get pictures maybe.

SGT Mark D. U.S. Army

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I believe there's a TSB about the antenna issue - might just be for Caddys at the moment though. I'll have to find the exact number though. IIRC, there's a new base design.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
jd11184
jd11184 is on a distinguished road

I went into SI and checked service procedure to change a headlamp bulb on the Aura. Sure enough you have to remove the whole front facia. If you figure an hour to change a bulb it would put the cost of replacement at $91.43!!! And that is at a labor rate of $76 per hr. You go to St. Louis area and average rate is $110 per hour.

On the Ion there is no way it would take an hour to replace a headlamp bulb. All you have to do is remove the retaining pins and headlamp pops out in like 5 seconds. Warranty time is .2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jd11184's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jd11184 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jd11184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member
EnglishSL2 is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend steering clear of automatic car washes. I refuse to use them as they are notorious for damaging cars.

My father once had the roof of his Peugeot 605 dented by an automatic carwash. He hasn't used one since either!

*Simon*

1993 Volkswagen Golf GTI. No Saturn at the moment, but one day, hopefully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnglishSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnglishSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EnglishSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd11184
I went into SI and checked service procedure to change a headlamp bulb on the Aura. Sure enough you have to remove the whole front facia. If you figure an hour to change a bulb it would put the cost of replacement at $91.43!!! And that is at a labor rate of $76 per hr. You go to St. Louis area and average rate is $110 per hour.

On the Ion there is no way it would take an hour to replace a headlamp bulb. All you have to do is remove the retaining pins and headlamp pops out in like 5 seconds. Warranty time is .2
What's SI?

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

jd11184;

What parts,pieces,panels,etc make up the "facia" ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
jd11184
jd11184 is on a distinguished road

SI stands for service information. It's the GM website for our techs to research bulletins repair procedures ect.

The facia is just another word for bumper cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jd11184's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jd11184 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jd11184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #16
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

I agree with Simon; avoid automatic car baths. If you can't do it yourself at home (apt/condo with little or no driveway or no exterior faucet) then use a self-serve wash or hire someone to wash your vehicle for you. Although...how does Saturn's automatic wash not rip the OnStar antenna from the vehicle? Mine '06 has been washed several times now and the antenna has survived each wash.

jd11184, do you work for Lou Fusz's Saturn of Metro East? Just asking because you mentioned the higher labor rate if you took a vehicle to STL for service and that's where I live.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

an hour for a bulb change? Are all the Epsilons like this?..guess upgrading to Silverstars are out of the question..especially with their shorter life (Yes..Sylvania even says that..150 hours versus 1000)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #18
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

My SC2's headlights are a pain in the rear to change - especially after 13 years and two minor accidents, where things don't quite fit together right anymore.

I can't believe that it would take an hour though to change any headlight. Ever. If you look at it close enough I'm sure you can find an easier way than undoing the whole front end.

One thing I loved about our 04 VUE was that to change a headlight, you opened the hood, grabbed the back of the light, twisted slightly to the right and pulled - and there was the bulb. Total time to change one was maybe 30 seconds and the longest part was getting the wiring clip off.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #19
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
One thing I loved about our 04 VUE was that to change a headlight, you opened the hood, grabbed the back of the light, twisted slightly to the right and pulled - and there was the bulb. Total time to change one was maybe 30 seconds and the longest part was getting the wiring clip off.
Yeah, the S-series sedans are like that

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #20
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

When I sold Saturns, wer used to brag about how easy it was to replace bulbs. We'd show people how to do it at delivery.

I don't usually complain about "the new Saturn' but this is a lame design. They should know better. I prefer to take care of these issues myself, but this design makes it hard to do so. Very disappointing.

Former Saturn salesperson...love the cars, hated the boss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote