SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
slosaturn
slosaturn is on a distinguished road

Dizzy help! crazy electrical problem

i have a 94 sl2 and when i try to start it all my dash lights flash and make clicking noises but the starter does not engage. sometimes when i mess with the door lock switch it will randomly let me start it. the switch is broken and will try to lock by itself sometimes. thinking that the switch was shorting and causing parasitic draw from the battery i removed it only to have the problem remain with no random occurence of starting. can't tell what the problem is. have done everything short of intense electrical testing. anyone have any experience with this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slosaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slosaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slosaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Default Re: help! crazy electrical problem

check your driver's door lock cylinder to see if the key slot is fully vertical. It is common for older 1st gen Sl cars to have worn keys and cylinders where the key can be removed from the cylinder without fully returning to vertical. If this is the case, the power door lock switch in the cylinder stays engaged, and:
1) makes the door locks do silly things
and
2) drains the battery to the point where lights start coming on, and the car becomes hard to start.

hope this helps...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn-Eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
slosaturn
slosaturn is on a distinguished road

thanks-eh! sounds like your saying that the lock cylinder in the door is tripping the lock switch because it was not returned to the full verticle when removing the key? i can see how this could happen but i removed the switch from it's connector and it still wouldn't start and all the dash light were still flashing/clicking. wolfeman said it could be the vechile alarm systen trying to disable the car from starting because the lock switch was busted (it moves from un to lock really easy) and it couldn't tell if the door was locked or not. does anyone know how to dissable the alarm system??? is this the one where you jump the wires and cycle the ignition???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slosaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slosaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slosaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

On a '94, I'm pretty sure it's an aftermarket alarm; you'll have to research with the manufacturer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The simple solution is to remove the outer door skin and either replace the switch built into the Driver's side outside door lock key cylinder or unplug it. (Note this will NOT affect the manual switches inside the car, but you WILL lose the ability to lock/unlock all the doors with the key by simply turning it in the driver's door lock cylinder.)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

You might what to check the obvious first, starter solenoid on it's way out. The door lock thing just might be a coincident. If you do have to trouble shoot it, start at the solenoid and work backward from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Just thought of something else (Oh and NO the 94's DO NOT have an OEM security system, I apologize if I missed the year of the car before)

DO the Automatic Seatbelts in this car work? That click click click you hear may not be the locks at all but the PREST module (located under the center console near the Parking Brake handle pivot)

If the belts DO NOT work, try pulling the fuse labeled PREST in the in cabin fuse box and see of that makes the problem disappear.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote