SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
kornphlake
kornphlake is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Where to get a Coil Pack?

I need a new coil pack and I'm unsure about where to get one. SaturnParts.com is about the same price as kragen or pepboys, but I'd have to pay shipping which makes it more expensive. Kragen has Borg Warner, of course they'll tell you that Borg Warner is the best, Pepboys has some other brand I've never heared of. I don't know what the dealer would charge and I don't know if it would be different than what I'd get at a parts store.

So does it matter what brand I get or where I get it from? Any recommendations?

'96 sl2 155k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kornphlake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kornphlake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Where to get a Coil Pack?

At the risk of being irritating, are you certain the coil pack is bad? Did you switch it with the other one, to see if your problem (whatever it is) "follows" the coil pack?

Check our Classifieds section and eBay; you might find a good used one. Also try saturnautosalvage.com (a boneyard that specializes in Saturns) and saturnparts.net (the "other" online dealer; shipping may be cheaper).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
kornphlake
kornphlake is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
At the risk of being irritating, are you certain the coil pack is bad? Did you switch it with the other one, to see if your problem (whatever it is) "follows" the coil pack?

Check our Classifieds section and eBay; you might find a good used one. Also try saturnautosalvage.com (a boneyard that specializes in Saturns) and saturnparts.net (the "other" online dealer; shipping may be cheaper).

I appreciate the irritating suggestion to trace the problem before buying parts blindly. I'm pretty sure it's a bad coil pack because the resistance across the towers is over 10k ohms. I haven't swapped the coils because I'm not sure it would tell me anything right away, the problem isn't bad enough to throw a SES code except for once every couple of months and then it goes away within about 10 miles of driving, usually I can't even read the codes before the SES light goes off. I do know that it's a cyl 3 misfire, when I can get the code scanned and the cyl 3 spark plug gets fouled long before the rest of the other plugs, but aside from swapping the coils and running for 6 months then checking to see that the cyl 1 plug is fouling instead of the cyl 3 plug I've got no way to know if the problem is follwing a specific cylinder. I'm guessing that the resistance is a pretty good indication of a bad coil though.

So I guess you don't have a favorite brand then, any old coil will do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kornphlake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kornphlake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake
I'm guessing that the resistance is a pretty good indication of a bad coil though.
I'd say so.
Quote:
So I guess you don't have a favorite brand then, any old coil will do?
AFAIK that resistance is independent of any electrical input, so you could just take your ohmmeter to the local boneyard and start checking 'em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Most parts stores around here stock AC/Delco coils which seem to be equivalent to stock. I've used them and been satisfied.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote