SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Micky2191
Micky2191 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Question Steering Clicking Noise ... Please Help!!!

Hi, first of all I've looked at a lot of threads on here, and there seem to be lots of similar problems, but not identical...so here it is!!

My 97 SL1 has a very loud clicking sound somewhere near the power steering pump. This occurs when I am in gear (drive or reverse) and while turning the wheel. It is usually intermittent, but when I reach the extent of the steering wheel in either direction, it gets worse. I have recently replaced the belt tensioner, the passenger side lower control arm, the water pump, belt, and front strut mounts (all over about the last 6 months). I suspect the power steering pump or something in the steering gear assembly (not sure if that is the right term or not). I am slowly becoming a backyard mechanic, but still need laymans terms. Oh yeah, I also just had an alignment done, so I don't think it would be the tie rods. Any help would be great. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Micky2191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Micky2191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Micky2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Steering Clicking Noise ... Please Help!!!

CV joint maybe. Kind of a clackety sound when you make a sharp turn?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Micky2191

1997 SL1

I'm not sure, it's not just on sharp turns. If I turn the wheel slowly in either direction, it still happens but not as pronounced. I'll check the boots though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Micky2191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Does it happen as you're turning the wheel, even when the car's not moving? Or is it when you're holding the wheel in a turn, and the car is moving?

If it's the former, then I'd say it is something in the rack & pinion unit itself. If it's the latter, that's a classic outer CV joint noise; check both outer joint boots for damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Micky2191

1997 SL1

it's both, but only in gear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Micky2191

1997 SL1

Well, I'm going to go out in the morning and check the CV Boots, is there anything else I should be looking for other than cracks or grease leaking. As I said, I am only beginning to learn a bit about auto maintenance; I have the Haynes Manual, but that's where the extent of my knowledge comes from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Naw, CV boot inspection is a pretty straightforward visual thing. Just make sure to check the whole circumference of both boots (turn the steering all the way left, inspect what you can, then turn the steering all the way right to complete the inspection). A tear or grease leak should be pretty evident.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
Micky2191

1997 SL1

Thanks Madpogue, I'll update tomorrow and see what I find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
Micky2191

1997 SL1

Well, checked the CV boots, and can't find any cracks or leakage. Guess I'll keep poking around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!