SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
went_postal
went_postal is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default 2007 ION 3... Any info?

I just ordered an '07 ION3 2.4L VVT 5spd. (The sedan, not the coupe) the other night. More or less everything but the head curtain bags and XM.

Now... Don't laugh too hard.... I am trading an '04 RX8 in on the Saturn. The ION will be Saturn #3 for the family. We had an SL2 and an SC2 in the past. The RX8 is killing me in MPG and other maint. costs with me driving 80 miles a day for work.

So... Everywhere I look on the net all I see is ION bashing. A lot of it seems to be contained to the 03 IONs and there does not seem to be a lot of info on the 07s. As I understand it... 05 was a change and then there was also more of a change for 06. 07 has not changed much from the 06s if I understand the nonsense I have seen on the 'net.

So are the MPG numbers on the window stickers even close to reality? Can you get 30 or 30+ in the ION3? What about fit and function of the vehicle?

I have driven one two or three times. No one, and I mean NO ONE, has the 2.4 VVT in stock so I have not had a chance to drive one around. The 2.2L seemed to have plenty of get up and go so I figure the 2.4 should do just fine.

I realize that the ION is not going to be on par with the RX8 or anything. I am just wondering what REAL people actually think about the sedan. Of course the Saturn guys at the dealership think it walks on water. What do you guys (and girls) think?

Thanks for the info in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to went_postal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help went_postal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
went_postal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 ION 3... Any info?

I like mine, and I have a 2003 built in the first quarter of '03. Car's solid, has had very few mechanical issues, has withstood huge amounts of abuse and keeps on coming back for more. Some of the issues with the car are preventable, like keeping only a few (like TWO) keys on your keychain to prevent stressing out the ignition switch. '06 cars aren't having glitches, from what I've seen, and the '07s are basically the same.

Anyway, you'll love the car. If you need more power. www.hptuners.com has a tuning system available, there's intakes and exhausts and all that jazz for the engine.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Hey Went,

Congrats on your purchase. I bought my 2006 Ion 3 sedan about seven months ago. I have ~8800 miles on it so far. It's Storm Grey/grey, 2.4 with the 5-speed manual. I didn't get the XM, sunroof, leather or high-end audio with mine but it has all of the other major options I believe.

I had to order it because as you've discovered the 2.4 is somewhat of a rare option on the Ion. To date, I've only seen three others in my area. This is my fifth Saturn since 1991.

Besides oil changes, I've had mine in just for little stuff so far, nothing like what you've probably read on various Web sites. The original glovebox latch only did that when it felt like it - replaced. I had three bumperettes put on the bottom edge of the trunk lid because it was scraping paint off the back bumper and the fuel filler door had to be realigned for doing the same thing to the opening in the fender. One of the techs' boots chipped some paint out of the driver's door rocker panel - filled and buffed. The plastic pieces in the clutch pedal linkage have had to be lubricated and redone to keep that "socket wrench" noise I hear during warm weather at bay.

Lately, the only two issues have been the driver's side foam popping out of the rain gutters and an odd bit of computer programming that causes the car to turn on the SES (Service Engine Soon) light when it decides I'm riding the clutch too much. The cruise control is involved somehow too. I'm still waiting on an update for this. My last two Saturns were manuals (in fact, all of 'em have been) and had cruise and they did not do this.

Mileagewise, I'm getting between 27-29 mpg (70/30 city/highway driving) with near constant a/c use. That's a sacrifice from the 32-34 mpg I got with my 2004 Ion 2 sedan (same city/hwy mix) but for the extra 30 ponies, I willingly made the switch. The Ecotec engines have a longer break-in period than you might be used to, according to a lot more knowledgeable sources on this board than me. Many folks are reporting 33-40 mpg in all or majority highway driving. There's a long-winded thread about Ion MPGs on here, check it out. I'm hoping to see the high side of 30 once summer becomes fall.

Pluses - the power this little 4 makes (I've never had a car that can hit 30 in 2nd gear and 45 in 3rd) while not in the same league as any Mazda RX, it acquits itself well most of the time. I've surprised more than one person. I still love the exhaust burble on start up. Other pluses include the comfy yet firm ride; the reasonably nimble handling; the automatic headlights; the much-improved front seats; the big trunk; the alloy wheels.

Minuses - too thick A- and C-pillars, no lighted ancillary (door) switches, back window's too shallow compared to that on the S-series and Ion's is worse with the optional rear spoilers.

The 2003 and 2004 models were definitely the worst of the lot -- too many teething pains and drivers experienced the effects of corporate cost-cutting on things like the upholstery, headlight seals and the now-infamous front bushing failures plus the ignition switches and the auto trans shift flares. Things did indeed change in 2005, interior revamp, larger steering wheel, bigger, more comfy front seats and the sway bar bushing problem was fixed. Last model year saw the advent of the 2.4 engine plus the usual annual color changes. Your model year 2.4 actually drums out 5 hp/2 lbs-ft more than the 2006s but I won't be trading mine anytime soon. I'm quite pleased with it. I'm sure other members of the unofficially named "2.4 Club" will chime in with their own replies.

Good luck to you with yours. What color did you get?

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Asinity
Asinity is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I also own an '06 ION3 2.4L, manual in Pacific Blue. Going from my old SC1 to the ION3 was an incredible jump and I haven't regretted it one bit. My MPG usually averages around 29-31mpg but I've only put 8,500km's on it, so lots of break-in yet.

The only problem I have had was with my clutch pedal making a squeaking noise when I pressed it and released it, this went away after the car warmed up - but it still came back daily. Saturn gladly fixed it under warranty and the problem was the master cylinder. Beyond that there's been no problems aside a plastic guard that sits on top of the rad fan that doesn't want to sit in where it's supposed to, so I think if it doesn't stay on next time, it's done.

The 2.4 is an absolute blast to drive - granted it won't be anything like your RX8 is, but you're getting a much more fuel efficient and practical vehicle than the RX8, and had you got the coupe the front passenger seat folds down flat to allow for some lengthy storage space.

My fiance and I went on a 6,500km road trip right after I purchased the ION, it withstood the hilly terrain of the east coast with a full trunk easily, at 95% highway we averaged 33.8mpg that trip.

Really, the only complaints are the location of the steering wheel; a telescopic wheel would be nice because for my arms to sit comfortably my legs are squished, and when my legs are squished I'm reaching to the heavens for my steering wheel - and lastly the arm rest is too close, when I go to shift to 2nd or 4th I always elbow the rest.

I am definitely pleased with it though, it's a pleasure to drive, it's comfortable and for an I4, it's quick!

And one last thing - it's the 2.4 Posse!

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asinity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asinity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
06blk2.4
06blk2.4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

You're right, people do seem to bash the Ion. I think people see them as being "cheap" in price and quality. Maybe at one time but as for now build quality is just fine. People need to realize when you look at cars in this price range you dont always get a lot of car. But Saturn has proved a lot of people wrong, they are great cars. The Ion has improved over the years, just like any new model there may have been bugs to work out, but like I say Saturn did their homework quite well. You wont be dissapointed. Especially with the 2.4 and 5sp you'll enjoy your new car. Congrats on your new car!!

Devin

06 Black Quad Coupe 2.4 Auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06blk2.4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06blk2.4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06blk2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
gord888
gord888 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blk2.4
You're right, people do seem to bash the Ion. I think people see them as being "cheap" in price and quality. Maybe at one time but as for now build quality is just fine. People need to realize when you look at cars in this price range you dont always get a lot of car. But Saturn has proved a lot of people wrong, they are great cars. The Ion has improved over the years, just like any new model there may have been bugs to work out, but like I say Saturn did their homework quite well. You wont be dissapointed. Especially with the 2.4 and 5sp you'll enjoy your new car. Congrats on your new car!!

Devin
yep, in it's price range, you can't beat the performance and quality. Though i haven't seen many people bash the ion (aside from some import bias automotive magazines talking trash about the older models). Anyways, the 07 i think picked up 5 more horses over the 06? otherwise it's the same car. Fast, light, good on gas... umm... i get 7.5 l/100km driving like an idiot in 50/50 city/highway. it works out to about 30.3mpg.

============
http://www.ionforums.net
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359318/1
http://www.our6thplanet.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gord888's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gord888 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gord888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Gawd
Gawd is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I've got the 06'I3QC... no real problems with it thus far... 9 months and 16500+ KMs on it... I took it in last week to get an alignment and rotors worked on but only because I installed new rims and springs, otherwise the parts had no wear and tear. Nothing else about the car had a repair/maintenance problem.

Some small issues: while standing and idling, the engine jumps a bit, doesn't happen all the time though, just on rare occasions... it's a bit narrow, if only it was 2" wider, it'd be awesome... I don't like the trunk's opening style, should've used struts instead of the bars, and it closes way to easily (people slam it really hard without actually slamming it hard)... and that stupid little plastic piece under the front end of the car, always scrapes the curbs and hills, apparently it's to direct air into the engine, ah well.

"We're busy, busy... breeding, building, buying."
---------------------------------------
Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gawd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gawd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
went_postal

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks for all the replies.

I am getting Storm Gray w/o a spoiler. I have never really understood the reason for spoilers on 4 door sedans. Our SL2 had one as well... but that was because it was on the lot.

I did not get XM but if I understand this correctly... With the MP3 head unit XM is more or less a module that plugs in in the back and uses the ONSTAR antenna. Still trying to figure that out for sure. I really don't need XM as I like our local stations and I can use my iPod in this car.

I think the big things I am going to miss from the RX8 are the steering wheel radio controls, heated seats, and some of the power.

To put this all in prospective though... I do still own:
an 06 Harley-Davidson
a 98 F-150
an 85 Fiero GT (slightly left of stock).

So when I get the urge to be stupid in a 2k lbs. vehicle I still have that option. Well...except with the Harley. =)

The "bashings" that I was referring to were both in Auto Magazines and on Various websites as well. Everyone seemed to have a lot more bad to say about the vehicle than good. Having owned the other two Saturns I just wasn't understanding what was up. I was hoping it was all a bunch of nonsense and not something like GM having totally screwed up the company.

Other than that... The only thing that makes me regret getting the car is that it means I am getting older and takinng my responsibilites more seriously.

Hopefully I will have the car around September 15th or so. I find out Friday how the production schedules are looking.

Someone mentioned long break in... How long? I am used to around 3000 miles for most of my cars. Typically I try to keep the RPMs low during that period. The engine is more or less the Honda VTEC, is it not? If not the exact Honda Engine it is VERY similar tech. correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help went_postal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Tethys
Advanced Member

Went,

I mentioned the longer break in for the Ecotec engines, which are GM's design and manufacture, not Honda's. While I'm sure there are similarities between VTEC and the VVT system GM employs on this engine, they are not identical. Honda does supply the Vue's V6 currently, perhaps that's what you thought of.

On second read, maybe break-in was the wrong term. Many though have reported that the Ecotec takes closer to 10,000 miles before mile starts to rise. Check the thread out for yourself, elsewhere in the Ion section. The mileage thread might answer more of your questions too.

Good color choice, btw, though I suspect I'm a tad biased since I picked grey too.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
went_postal

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys
Went,

I mentioned the longer break in for the Ecotec engines, which are GM's design and manufacture, not Honda's. While I'm sure there are similarities between VTEC and the VVT system GM employs on this engine, they are not identical. Honda does supply the Vue's V6 currently, perhaps that's what you thought of.

On second read, maybe break-in was the wrong term. Many though have reported that the Ecotec takes closer to 10,000 miles before mile starts to rise. Check the thread out for yourself, elsewhere in the Ion section. The mileage thread might answer more of your questions too.

Good color choice, btw, though I suspect I'm a tad biased since I picked grey too.
Well... the gray was a no brainer... my RX-8 is titanium gray. =)

Thanks for all the info.

I am looking forward to getting the car. One thing I was really impressed with was how quiet the interior is. The RX8 is so noisy it is hard to talk on my ear bud when driving. From what I felt in the ION that will not be a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
dm919
dm919 is on a distinguished road

I also had to order my 2007 ION 2.4-I actually never got to drive a 2.4 until my car came in! The engine is outstanding in this car-plenty of power in any gear. I absolutely love my car-and I am already getting over 26 mpg city with only 600 miles on the odo (with a little spirited driving and 93 octane.) The only car I've fooled around with on the street is a newer Lancer Ralliart (5-speed with exhaust) and he never gained an inch on me (stopped at around 65mph) And yes I too chose Storm Gray with black leather - although I do like the new dark blue color. The leather takes this car to a whole new level in my opinion. And the premium sound rocks - I love the A-pillar tweeters. I have only seen one other 2.4 on the road-and that was last weekend when I picked mine up at the dealership. I can't wait to get some mods and head to Fayetteville drag strip. I think I can def. be in the mid-high 15's

*My favorite picture*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dm919's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dm919 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dm919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
bkrainercc
bkrainercc is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

NICE picture. I think that those stock wheels actually look good on the ion! Cant say that about most cars!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkrainercc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkrainercc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bkrainercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
TXTABBY
TXTABBY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Wow, lots-o-info here. I'm looking at an '07 with maybe the 2.4. But I WILL get the handling pkg. though. Just waiting on some $$$ issues to be resolved. Now, has anyone noticed the handling is kind of 'squirly' on straightaways? I test drove a couple of '07's last week (yes, one was a 2.4 )and found this on both. It has to be due to the 'new' elec. assisted steering. I think they should of stuck with the 'old' power steering pumps. I love the feedback from the road on my car now. I now have a 1994 SL2 w/ over 194,000 miles and I think it's time to buy new...I see co$tly repair$ coming.

Usetahave 1994 SL2 105,000 mi. avg. 29-30 mpg
Austin, TX

Last edited by TXTABBY; 08-22-2006 at 05:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXTABBY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXTABBY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXTABBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
Gawd
Gawd is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Yes the electric stabalizer thingy makes the steering sway a bit... you'll notice this when driving in wheel ruts in the road. The sway is very small but still noticable.

Tweeters? Damn... must be a new addition cuz I didn't get'em.

Time to drop that sumbeech... see that huge wheel gap in the well? Yeesh.

"We're busy, busy... breeding, building, buying."
---------------------------------------
Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gawd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gawd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
Tethys
Advanced Member

Gawd,

Tweeters in the A-pillar have been on Ions with the high-end audio since 2003 -- the first one I ever drove during a weekend in Feb. 2003 had them.

Electronic stabilizers? Are those part of the optional flux capacitor system?

Txtabby, after nearly three years of driving Ions with the electronic PS system I've gotten used to it but I admit the 3's setup is much less darty and more communicative than the 2's was. It did take me a while to get used to the turn-in at first compared to the rack-and-pinion setup in the S series. While I haven't noticed the sway you mentioned, I don't miss having to check the power steering fluid or wonder if the pump will fail as the car ages.

I agree with you about the wheels, bkrainercc, they're classy for OEM ones.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #16
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

went_postal:

You said you couldn't find a '07 sedan with the 2.4 & stick??
Here in Michigan, that was the first car I looked at & drove when I went to look at Saturns 3 weeks ago. They had a Ion 3 sedan with the 2.4 package & sunroof & spoiler in Storm Grey....was a cheap price too (I forget).

I didn't like the sedan interior though...felt too open with the extra 2 "full size" doors & I usually prefer sedans.

I ended up finding a '07 Redline at their sister store & drove that & it was a choice between that or a '07 Ion 3 with the 2.4 & Sport appearance package & stick.

I drove the 2.4 and it just didn't feel right at all after driving the Redline....sorry 2.4 guys.

The Redline was $3 more a month & insurance was cheaper...so it was a no brainer.

The Redline is really quick & keeps a smile on my face while getting great gas mileage too.

I was reading you're supposed to run 91+ octane in the 2.4 (& in the Redline)?? I know you don't have to (same in the Redline), but for performance you're supposed to.

2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrdrdan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #17
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTABBY
Wow, lots-o-info here. I'm looking at an '07 with maybe the 2.4. But I WILL get the handling pkg. though
If you get the "Enhanced Performance Package" (which includes the 2.4 engine).....it automatically comes with a "sport tuned suspension"

That's the only way to get ANY suspension upgrade from the factory

2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrdrdan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #18
went_postal

2007 ION-3 Sedan

hmmm.... according to the guys at Saturn (and the website) you do not need to run premium in the 2.4. Says 87 Octane.

As a matter of fact... even the redline says 87.

This is important (at least to me) because one of the reasons I am dumping the RX8 is because of its dependency on Premium Fuel.

Don't get me wrong... I am sure it may run a little better with Premium... but the performance you gain may impact your MPG.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #19
Tethys
Advanced Member

Sno's right, it's not a must to run 91 or even 89 octane in any Ecotec-equipped Saturn. I use 87 most of the time and the car runs fine for me. Part of the debate in the Ion mileage thread is whether the higher octanes offer higher MPGs. Some say they noticed an increase, others say the mileage didn't rise enough to offset the higher cost of moving to 89 or 91.

And Sno, this 2.4 guy isn't miffed that you bought a RL. You bought what you liked or what you wanted. So did I.

I didn't get a RL because of a) the cost vs. the standard Ions b) the higher insurance c) the various racing "invitations" I would get at stoplights, d) the lower mileage and e) the constant threat of it not being there when I walked out to go to work in the morning (I live in an apartment complex) or go out on weekends.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #20
TXTABBY
TXTABBY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan
If you get the "Enhanced Performance Package" (which includes the 2.4 engine).....it automatically comes with a "sport tuned suspension"

That's the only way to get ANY suspension upgrade from the factory
Right, my bad. Looked at my ION price list and on their site and noticed it. Hopfully, 'Saturn' will 'hear' these comments and modify E.A. steering some.

Usetahave 1994 SL2 105,000 mi. avg. 29-30 mpg
Austin, TX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXTABBY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXTABBY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXTABBY is offline   Reply With Quote