SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
irondiezl3
irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road

Default Modifications ?

now I know saturns arent racecars. I was wondering if anyone has any input on how to stleast get my horse back to stock since im sure over time it loses some. I have a 96 sl1 so far I've put in thicker racing wires,performace plugs,cold air intake and tuneup. is there anything else thats not crazy like new headers, turbo, that I could do to maybe up the horse even if just a little bit. Im sure new wires and plugs dont do anyting but its cheap stuff and mise well since i did tune up anyway i figured but i'd love to hear some ideas i might be able to use THANKS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irondiezl3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irondiezl3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Modifications ?

cat-back exhaust is a good thing to have.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
irondiezl3
irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road

r there any that arent really loud? i know thats prolly a dump question but figured id ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irondiezl3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irondiezl3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

well a turbo sohc isnt what i would call not crazy...

neways a really good cheap thing to do is get headers from a 91 or 92, they are just as good as any aftermarket ones and alot cheaper if u just pull the from a junk yard.

and cat back exhaust systems arnt enharntly (i dont feel like looking up how to spell that) loud, if u put a fart canon and too small of a resinator (or no resinator at all) then yes it will be loud. but theres plenty of combinations that can get just as much hp as those without sounding horable, and alot of the louder ones actualy loose u some hp

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Define "performance plugs" If they are not regular NGK copper, or at least NGK copper V-power they are doing more harm than good. Your extra thick plug wires are doing zero for performance, and if they cost more than stock, you got ripped off. Anything thicker than 7mm is usless unless you upgrade the entire ignition system. As for headers, they are tough to find for the SOHC, but they do exist. Someone has one up for grabs in the classifieds section right now. The DOHC motor has much more aftermarket support, and go fast gear. The #1 thing you can do is drop a DOHC in it, and get 20-30 ponies right out of the gate, then add more. If you turbo a SOHC, it'll be about as fast as a stock DOHC. Also the exhaust is a good idea.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupthree60
well a turbo sohc isnt what i would call not crazy...

neways a really good cheap thing to do is get headers from a 91 or 92, they are just as good as any aftermarket ones and alot cheaper if u just pull the from a junk yard.

Read carefully. He has a SL1 with SOHC. DOHC head from 91 or 92 will NOT bolt up, it is neither cheap or easy.

irondiezl3

I'd suggest you just drive the car as-is and save the money for gas.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #7
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Believe me when I say this, and I speak for alot of other Saturn owners who have poured thousands of dollars into their Saturns to boost HP.
Don't waste your money. It's not worth it.
After you have dumped countless green into your Saturn, it's a cool "TOY" for a short while. But then you wake up and realize that you've outgrown it. You want something better. You want something that has 200-250 HP stock.
Just think about it........If you start with an engine that already has some muscle already, "Then" you sink a few thousand into it.....In the end you'll have something worth the buck.
Then you won't have to say that "Silly Line" that myself and alot of other people have said in the past....."It's a Saturn thing".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
944obscene
944obscene is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Get an SL2.

or

The quiet exhaust thing is possible, but you need to know what resonator and pipe-size to get. I am going to buy my friend's Redline muffler and replace mine with it. Those things sound nice and are not loud. I would keep the cat whatever you do.

I am looking at making a Frankenstein motor (pieced together from different years) for my SL2. Check my thread in the mods section. you could look into it if you convert to a DOHC motor. Lots of power to be begged out of the DOHC 1.9L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 944obscene's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 944obscene reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
944obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondiezl3
now I know saturns arent racecars.
mine is...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote