SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
liubhs02
liubhs02 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Experience with Super Tech Synthetic?

I want to change to synthetic oil come next oil change time. Most of the name brand are kind of expensive, and I'm kind of poor. Does anyone have any experience with Wal-Mart's store brand Super Tech synthetic? Is it just as good as Mobil 1 or should I dish out the extra dough for Mobil 1?
Also, what's a good oil filter? I heard Fram is pretty bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liubhs02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liubhs02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liubhs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
frostypanic
frostypanic is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Experience with Super Tech Synthetic?

I personally run Mobil 1 but the Supertech Syn is a good oil for the money and I would run the supertech filter also over the fram. Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for more info. The main thing is to use the correct weight oil and the correct rating and change the oil according to the OLM. I change my oil according to the OLM and it goes off at 7.5K. The main benefit of a syn over a dino are the extended drain intervals.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frostypanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frostypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

What Brian said. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 and this oil change I'm going with the OLM or one year, which ever comes first, unless I chicken out (shudder!). I have two good engine oil analysis and two good TBNs to prove to myself that Mobil 1 can take the way I drive (usually like your grandma) but with some full throttle fits, now and then. Wal-Marts' Super Tech synthetic has some strong advocates on bobistheoilguy with some suggesting 5,000 to 7,000 mile change intervals with it. I'm a Mobil fan, so you can't go by me, but I think I would consider using it too, if instead of Mobil 1 or Penzoil Platinum that cost/affordability were an issue.

With regard to Fram filters--they do have a generally bad reputation. Around my neck-of-the-woods, Frams are also the highest priced. At Wal-Mart they are $7.47 each last time I checked! I buy from my Saturn retailer, who oddly enough has the best OTC price in town, so check around for prices. Also you might check prices at: www.fleetfilter.com as they have the best price for Wix filters that I've seen around, but I haven't yet bought from them. I prefer Saturn or AC filters (both usually made by Hengst).

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
frostypanic

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have pondered using the M 1 Extended Performance but man 15K is a long time. I would at least change the filter at 7.5K and get a UOA done at 15K. Let us know if you stick it out to the full 15K. I just got in six WIX filters for the eco-tec and they were 4.80 for six w/shipping and handling. The OEM and AC are both great choices and are all I have used until I ordered the WIX. I will go thru the six wix in six months, I have two L's. I drive 45K-50K a year and the wife drove 15K last year. I change her oil by the OLM and it is 4K-4.5K, I ran Valvoline semi-syn until recently changing to Valvoline Max Life, two changes in and the car seems to love it.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I use Saturn's brand filter... since it is cheaper then OTC at other retailers.

I use Mobil 1, but have considered Wal-Mart's Super Tech Full Synthetic. It costs less then $13 for 5 Quart Jug were M1 costs a bit over $20 (5Q Jug). I might try it next time I need an Oil Change. I've been trying to change near 6 months/ 6,000 miles or OLM. Haven't got that far yet. (More like 4-5k miles/4-5 months)

I've also noticed Wal-Mart offering Phillips 66 TropArctic Syn Blend for $1.48 a Quart. I've had Oil Tests done and M1 is doing great. If "regular" or blend Oils can give me similar results for the interval I use... It would be cheaper for me to run the cheaper stuff and not give up needed protection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
frostypanic

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and trop-artic is well regarded. I feel running Mobil 1 any less than I do 7.5K is a waste of money. At 4K-5K I would run Havoline Supreme(dino) or the trop-artic. I would run Trop-Artic it if I didn't go by the OLM. Motocraft semi-syn is also a good buy at wally world.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by liubhs02
Is it just as good as Mobil 1 or should I dish out the extra dough for Mobil 1?
No walmart pisswater oil is going to compare to mobil1. At least put some sort of brand name oil in. But it's only your engine, no need to care I guess....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
liubhs02
liubhs02 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Wrench Re: Experience with Super Tech Synthetic?

Do any of you know if there's Super Tech Oil Filter for the Saturn ION?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liubhs02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liubhs02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liubhs02 is offline   Reply With Quote