SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
gesingle
gesingle is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Fast Idle Problem Solved

Iíve seen several threads on the forum that sound similar to my 1995 Saturn SL2 problem, but none of the suggestions worked for me. When releasing the throttle during cruise, the engine maintains RPM for a second before decreasing power. When braking, it feels like I am fighting the engine. Coming to a stop, the idle remains high for a few seconds.

I cleaned the throttle body. That didnít help, so I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC), TPS, and ECTS. Still no improvement, and no vacuum leaks were apparent. I suspected the delay was caused by the IAC opening too far, behaving like a throttle and allowing too much air to enter the manifold. Releasing the throttle does not slow the engine until the IAC closes.

To verify this, I disconnected the wires from the IAC while the engine was idling. I then drove the car. Throttle response was instantóno more delay. CAUTION: If you try this, reconnect in the following sequence: Shut off engine. Disconnect battery. Reconnect wires. Reconnect battery. You may need to partially depress the accelerator when restarting. Disconnecting the battery causes the computer to forget the IAC settings and forces it to relearn.

According to the service manual, the PCM (computer) learns the proper IAC position and controls idle speed based on coolant temperature (ECTS), park/neutral switch status, vehicle speed, battery voltage, and A/C. All of these inputs were good, but what if manifold pressure is part of the speed calculation? I replaced the MAP sensor and disconnected/reconnected the battery to reset the IAC program. Problem solved! My Saturn now runs normally.

I hope my experience is helpful to others experiencing this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gesingle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gesingle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gesingle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
RangerRuss
RangerRuss is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Fast Idle Problem Solved

Perseverance usually wins out. Does anyone know how to test a MAP sensor prior to buying all these parts?

Russ

1993 SL-1 - R.I.P.

2003 VUE
2002 Ford Ranger
2003 Buick Regal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRuss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRuss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
gesingle
gesingle is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRuss
Perseverance usually wins out. Does anyone know how to test a MAP sensor prior to buying all these parts?

Russ
In my case, the MAP sensor was working at least well enough so that the PCM did not give an error code. There was carbon buildup in the sensor's tube that may have restricted flow and slowed its response enough to fool the PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gesingle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gesingle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gesingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

You can check the voltage at idle. It should be between 1-1.5v at idle. Closer to 1 is normal, but as high as 1.5v is still acceptable.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote