SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
ski4ever
ski4ever is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2000 LS1 4 cyl. Where do spark plugs go?

At approx. 76,000 mi. I've noticed my milage has dropped about 2 mpg. Decided to do my first tune-up & change the spark plugs. I couldn't immediately find where they are! My car manual doesn't give a clue as to where to find the spark plugs and wires. I assume they are hidden under a metal shroud, but am not sure. A recent stomach bypass operation makes it difficult for me to get under the engine. I don't want to buy a shop manual right now. Can anyone help? Could use a schematic of engine if available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ski4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ski4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ski4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 AM   #2
Sir Trews
Sir Trews is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: 2000 LS1 4 cyl. Where do spark plugs go?

Here's one to check around in.... http://www.faqfarm.com/wiki.phtml

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Trews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Trews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Trews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

they are under the coil packs, the black panel on top of the cam cover. DOHC engines always have the plug centered right over the piston. sorry I didn't go looking for a picture.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
frostypanic
frostypanic is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Check out a thread in the L-series tech section. The plugs are under the coil pack, with four bolts 15mm I believe. Pop of the coil packs and remove the old plugs with extension and spark plug socket. Make sure the engine is cool to the touch. Do not use anti-seize on the new plugs and torque plugs to 20ft lb. Wally world sells the Auto-lite platinum plugs that are gapped to the correct spec. Holler if you need more help.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frostypanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frostypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
epekarik
epekarik is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostypanic
Check out a thread in the L-series tech section. The plugs are under the coil pack, with four bolts 15mm I believe. Pop of the coil packs and remove the old plugs with extension and spark plug socket. Make sure the engine is cool to the touch. Do not use anti-seize on the new plugs and torque plugs to 20ft lb. Wally world sells the Auto-lite platinum plugs that are gapped to the correct spec. Holler if you need more help.

Brian
Brian,
Why should I put in the plugs without anti-seize?
thnx
Endre

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to epekarik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help epekarik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
epekarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Robman
Advanced Member
Robman will become famous soon enoughRobman will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

vibration makes them come loose.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic
1999 Yamaha Blaster YFS200

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

The Haynes Manual for the L Series has a section on spark plug maintenance and specifically states that plugs need a light coating of anti-seize compound before being put into the head.
You put a plug into an aluminum head without anti-seize coating and you will have a lot of difficulty in getting it back out a couple of years later without stripping the threads in the block and all the expense that it entails.
For what it is worth,I asked my local Saturn dealer about this today and was told that " anyone that puts new plugs into a 2.2 engine aluminum block without applying anti-seize coating,if they do not already have it on them,is asking for trouble."
Properly torqued down plugs will not come loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
frostypanic
frostypanic is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Both techs on this board state that anit-seize should not be used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frostypanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frostypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
hugh

I don't know what Techs you are referring to,but I find it strange that they would say such a thing. Possibly they are thinking of the OEM plugs for the L81 engine (V6) which come with anti-seize coating already applied. This apparently is not the case with the plugs for the 2.2. All I can say is that my dealer always puts anti-seize on any plug for any of the Saturns and Saabs that are serviced in their shop. The Haynes Manual supports this as well.

You can always take a chance that after 100K miles you can get the plugs out without damage. It just seems smarter to spend a few seconds and a few cents worth of anti-seize coating for peace of mind down the pike.

Maybe Wolfman and/or SSICarman would comment on this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Here's the complete thread with the service bulletin from GM advising antiseize NOT be used on 2.2L Ecotec engines. I assume this also applies to the 2.4L Ecotec based engine.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=antiseize

Two techs suggested a couple of drops of engine oil on the 2.2L plug threads rather than antiseize.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
hugh

Wow....talk about surprises !

I guess I'll have to take a copy of that TSB in to my service dept as they did not seem to know that Saturn had officially decreed not to use anti-seize on 2.2 L plugs.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like me that are "belt and braces" types from way back that will still use a light coating and a torque wrench when replacing plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

If the concern is that overtorquing will occur because of using antisieze, I would just use a light coating of antiseize, screw the plugs in fingert tight, and add 1/4 additional turn of the ratchet. I can't see how this would be a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote