SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
aaront
aaront is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 2000 LS2 3.0 V6 Timing Belt Replacement Pictures

Hi all,

I finally got the pictures off the camera for the timing belt replacement. The clamps were just to hold the new belt in place while it was threaded through.

The tensioners were stamped with "DB - Germany". I wonder if I can "Ask Dr. Z" on the next engine project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5554.JPG (112.3 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5555.JPG (85.8 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5556.JPG (67.5 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5557.JPG (62.0 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5560.JPG (96.1 KB, 592 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaront's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaront reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaront is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LS2 3.0 V6 Timing Belt Replacement Pictures

Those pictures are worth more than a thousand words. In my future could I get away with using one vise grip per pair of cam gears to freeze the timing in place to make easier replacement of the timing belt instead of actually matching timing ticks? It looks do-able from the your pics. Otherwise I'll have to go through the procedures when my L300 is due. Thanks for the pics!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
GregS&L
GregS&L is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Great pictures. Ahh, the versatility of ViceGrips!! No toolbox should be without a set

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
finder216
finder216 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm still not sure...I may take it to the dealer (I'm at 70k right now). Great pics though - Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to finder216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help finder216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
finder216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
billmessmer
billmessmer is on a distinguished road

1992 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

New to forum, Will be doing Timing belt on wife's L300 soon has 96,000mi
I have the Gates timing belt kit TCK285B and Gates 41142 water pump came with an "O" ring gasket beside the Baum AS4145 with the AS4558 Tension Wrench Is there anything else that I need? I was considering cam and crankshaft seals I really like the Saturn L series but don't know if it will develop any antique value in the future. I intend to get at least 200,000 miles out of this one. My 2.2 has over 130,000 miles, and so far I replaced plugs and the engine sub frame when it rotted out due to rust.
Comments, reply to billmessmer@msn.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billmessmer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billmessmer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billmessmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
WaterSprite8
WaterSprite8 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 VUE 3.6L

I have read a bunch of the timing belt/water pump change threads. So, stupid question time.

I have not read anywhere of the pre work involved, IE, how much stuff do I have to remove just to get to the timing chains, water pump, .
I assume Air filter housing, alternator, AC compressor etc.

Assuming that I can ever figure out why our sedan will not start right now, then I am going to have to do the 100,000 mile thing soon, as our sedan currently has right at 97,000 miles on it. In fact, I am not so sure that if I just went ahead and started on the timing chain project, it would be easier to replace the starter at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WaterSprite8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WaterSprite8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WaterSprite8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Whoa there!? Stop! Back up the truck!? Engine fails to fire up? Timing belt due? Starter questionable? Talk about information overload...........................

One disaster at a time. There's some major mojo going on with your fine automobile and with a little sorting out, should return your car back to the dependable ride it was before these issues popped up. Starting with the no-start issue.

Is this a starter turns the engine but it won't fire up problem or the starter never runs at all (dead silence when the ignition switch is turned to the START position)?

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
WaterSprite8
WaterSprite8 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 VUE 3.6L

Turn the key to start, nothing, no noise, no grinding, no movement, nothing.
I know the battery is good, I have cleaned the battery cables at the battery connection. Tried starting in neutral.

With the key in the on position, we held a wire on the starter, then touched the positive post on the side of the fuse block, it started right up and ran like a swiss watch. Turned it off, same thing, no noise, movement, nothing. Dead in the driveway.

So, to answer the question, absolute dead silence when I turn the key to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WaterSprite8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WaterSprite8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WaterSprite8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

OK, more info for clarity. There's either a serious battery cable issue of corrosion or a starting circuit problem. Battery cables are easy to examine for exterior corrosion but more difficult when hidden under insulation so disconnection and inspection of battery negative is first. If necessary, cut and peel back the heavy insulation on terminals to reveal hidden corrosion if a side terminal battery cracked and leaks battery acid into a terminal to eat away copper wires. Red positive terminals sometimes become compromised from battery side terminal failure and the cable won't carry the large current for starter power. Cables and ground need to be checked. If there's any doubt, have the battery tested at any store selling car batteries. Next is checking the starting circuit.

The START signal (12v) goes from the ignition switch's START wire (yellow) to the Park/Neutral safety switch and on to the starter solenoid as a small gauge purple wire on its own terminal. You can disconnect this wire from the starter solenoid terminal and measure it for 12v with either a multimeter out test light while someone turns the ignition switch to the START position; 12v on this wire only in START position. Disconnecting this wire allows testing without fear of the starter powering up. If all checks go without revealing anything wrong, the starter is a likely problem.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!