SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
ouananiche
ouananiche is on a distinguished road

Dizzy NEED HITCH INFO 2006 AWD V6 "chrome packsge"

Hi everyone,
This is my first time using a site like this, so please bare with me. My question is that I own a 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6 with the "CHROME PACKAGE" and require a trailer hitch. I am getting different answers as far as will any of the hitches on the market fit without cutting the chrome fascia on the rear bumper. Some claim yes and others claim no. I'm a little frustrated with this and want to know which hitch will fit without any cutting of the fascia. THANKS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ouananiche's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ouananiche reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ouananiche is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
GearGuy
Advanced Member
GearGuy is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: NEED HITCH INFO 2006 AWD V6 "chrome packsge"

HERE is the last thread on that specific subject.

Looks like Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch offer models that do not require you to cut the bumper.

If you search the Vue forum for "hitch" you will find lots of hitch related information.

My Draw-Tite should arrive tomorrow (Friday) and I will take some pictures for everyone since I had no luck finding any on the internet.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GearGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Yes, there are several threads out there on the subject, and 'gmcgaga' said conclusively that he did not have to cut the fascia (Chrome package)..see threads;

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81283
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80452

I looked at etrailer;

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...Saturn&t1=&h=e

and decided to go with the Hidden Hitch 81735 model...

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/prod.asp?pc=87135

Although, the round tubular models of other makers look nicer, they didn't appear to have the 'C' centre bracket, which in my opinion, is required to avoid hacking the chrome fascia....I could be wrong. Anyway, I ordered the 81735, and when it arrives I will take pictures to show that no cutting is required....I hope and pray.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Oh, almost forgot, the hidden hitch 87135 has higher tolerances for tongue weight - 350-400lbs compared to 200lbs for the tubular models (?).
Means I can hoist a little scooter on the back.... ...so friggin disappointed I sold my 82 honda passport scooter over the winter, the two together would have been heaven on camping trips....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Dorian
Dorian is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam
<snipped for brevity>
Although, the round tubular models of other makers look nicer, they didn't appear to have the 'C' centre bracket, which in my opinion, is required to avoid hacking the chrome fascia....I could be wrong. Anyway, I ordered the 81735, and when it arrives I will take pictures to show that no cutting is required....I hope and pray.

mellisam,

Have you had a chance to take any pictures that you can share with us? It would be cool to see what the back of the vehicle looks like without a trailer, and then again with a trailer attached.

http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dorian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouananiche
Hi everyone,
This is my first time using a site like this, so please bare with me. My question is that I own a 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6 with the "CHROME PACKAGE" and require a trailer hitch. I am getting different answers as far as will any of the hitches on the market fit without cutting the chrome fascia on the rear bumper. Some claim yes and others claim no. I'm a little frustrated with this and want to know which hitch will fit without any cutting of the fascia. THANKS.
Not really in the mood for 'baring' with you, but I suppose I could bear with you....

The trailer hitch install has been discussed to death.....really...just have to use the 'Search' function.
Read these threads carefully - basically you want a hitch with a 'C' centre bracket that goes around the fascia without the need for cutting.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=trailer+hitch

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=trailer+hitch

This last one is good info for wiring;
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86775

This is a site that sells them (I installed the first one, and I have the chrome fascia)
http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...Saturn&t1=&h=e

Good Luck.

BTW - get a hitch with 2" opening (class 3), as it appears to offer more flexibility (i.e. more doodads can be stuck on it, plus a higher load rating).....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian
mellisam,

Have you had a chance to take any pictures that you can share with us? It would be cool to see what the back of the vehicle looks like without a trailer, and then again with a trailer attached.

Ok, that was weird......I thought I only saw the first post, and was replying to it, only to find I had replied eons ago, and someone else had a different question...you can see my install in my picture album (trailer install or something intuitive)
No picture with a trailer hooked up though.....still looking to buy a trailer...have alittle time, as my construction buddies have delayed my house build by months...
BTW - any good places to buy a trailer? I like the idea of one with brakes 3500lb limit, with min 2' walls, and a high gate for driving things off and on (like a wheelbarrow)......

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
bandit77
bandit77 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Idea Re: NEED HITCH INFO 2006 AWD V6 "chrome packsge"

you can buy the rear chrome valance from the dealer separately with the opening cutout already there. that piece also comes with the trailer package for the vue's with the chrome trim package. don't cut the original, that'd look terrible. i've seen the trailer package for the vue's with the chrome package installed and the new rear valance gives it a very nice finished look. hope this helps!

Freakin' Awesome!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bandit77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bandit77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bandit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Dorian

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam
Ok, that was weird......I thought I only saw the first post, and was replying to it, only to find I had replied eons ago, and someone else had a different question...you can see my install in my picture album (trailer install or something intuitive)

BTW - any good places to buy a trailer? I like the idea of one with brakes 3500lb limit, with min 2' walls, and a high gate for driving things off and on (like a wheelbarrow)......
Thanks! I went to your photo bucket and looked at the pictures. Nice looking setup!

I'm sorry I can't recommend a good trailer. I have a couple of motorcycles that already have a trailer for them. They're the whole reason I bought the Vue... we will haul our bikes to Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, or the Blueridge Parkway and then spend a week riding the area on our bikes (wife has an ST1300, I ride a GL1800)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit77
you can buy the rear chrome valance from the dealer separately with the opening cutout already there. that piece also comes with the trailer package for the vue's with the chrome trim package. don't cut the original, that'd look terrible. i've seen the trailer package for the vue's with the chrome package installed and the new rear valance gives it a very nice finished look. hope this helps!
Great info bandit! I'm a fan of OEM accessories and wasn't sure where the benefit was of getting the chrome hitch over the standard hitch. I couldn't see the benefit of paying the $80 up charge (buying from a discounter). But the fact that the chrome valance with the cutout already in place comes with the hitch makes perfect sense to go with the chrome package. And since it already comes with the wiring harness as well, its looking like its an okay value as long as I install it myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

A VUE hauling around an ST1300 and GL1800? Wow, that's gonna be a lot of weight back there. Those are two wide, heavy touring bikes, but I suppose with the right setup, a V6 VUE can haul 'em without too much effort. I got the smaller hitch installed (1 1/4"?), because the most I plan on hauling with my VUE is my HD Sportster 1200R on a 4x8 or 5x8 trailer. Local ads for used trailers have several to choose from for $400 or less, or I could get a new one for around $700. The dealer had to cut out a piece of the lower bumper to make the receiver fit, but it's hardly noticeable, since I don't have the chrome package. Good luck with the hitch search, purchase, and install.

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I'm a fan of OEM accessories and wasn't sure where the benefit was of getting the chrome hitch over the standard hitch.
Bronze brings up a good point about hitches....make sure if you go with the OEM, that it is a class 3 to haul your heavy bikes....
As you said, you wanted to do it yourself, get the Hidden Hitch 87135 or similar with 'C' centre bracket and don't worry about having to buy a notched rear chrome fascia.....bigger is better....

'Silven'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #12
Dorian

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the tips! The GL1800 Weighs 900 lbs wet, the ST weighs 700 wet. Add in the 200 pound dual channel style trailer and you have 1800 lbs. Although this isn't that close to the 3500 lb max I still will take your advice and ensure that I have class 3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! The GL1800 Weighs 900 lbs wet, the ST weighs 700 wet. Add in the 200 pound dual channel style trailer and you have 1800 lbs. Although this isn't that close to the 3500 lb max I still will take your advice and ensure that I have class 3.
Are you sure about the trailer weight being 200lbs? That seems very light, for the weight it will carry (1600lbs). I'm just concerned whether or not you have enough trailer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
Dorian

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383
Are you sure about the trailer weight being 200lbs? That seems very light, for the weight it will carry (1600lbs). I'm just concerned whether or not you have enough trailer.
My bad, its a 400 LB trailer which totals 2000 pounds that I tow. I've been towing the bikes behind that trailer for a couple of years. I bought the trailer mainly because it folds up and stands on its end for easy storage in my garage when not being used. You can see the trailer at this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzestarvue
The dealer had to cut out a piece of the lower bumper to make the receiver fit, but it's hardly noticeable, since I don't have the chrome package. Good luck with the hitch search, purchase, and install.

bronzestarvue, can you give us a larger image of your hitch setup? Or if you don't mind you can send me an attachment of the image to dorian-blue@touringmotorcyclists.com.

Last edited by Dorian; 10-26-2006 at 11:32 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
GearGuy
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I picked up a 4' x 8' trailer from Harbor Freight that also folds up so I can store it in the garage.
It's a lighter duty trailer with about a 1500lb GVWR... 12inch rims...
Paid $195 on sale with coupon for the 'kit'.
I've still got to finish putting it together.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #16
GearGuy
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I picked up a 4' x 8' trailer from Harbor Freight that also folds up so I can store it in the garage.
It's a lighter duty trailer with about a 1500lb GVWR... 12inch rims...
Paid $195 on sale with coupon for the 'kit'.
I've still got to finish putting it together.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:18 PM   #17
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
My bad, its a 400 LB trailer which totals 2000 pounds that I tow. I've been towing the bikes behind that trailer for a couple of years. I bought the trailer mainly because it folds up and stands on its end for easy storage in my garage when not being used. You can see the trailer at this link
Much, much, better. My wife and I also ride and like you, we each have our own bikes. I've had my eye on that very trailer, how do you like it? Can one person fold/unfold it? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #18
Dorian

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383
Much, much, better. My wife and I also ride and like you, we each have our own bikes. I've had my eye on that very trailer, how do you like it? Can one person fold/unfold it? Thanks.
Yes, one person can easily fold/unfold it. I'm also extremely pleased with the workmanship. I purchased it via the internet from MotorsportTrailers.com and got a great price on it. A friend of mine in our riding club is currently checking on getting one and was quoted a price from MotorsportTrailers.com of $2030.00. I'm not sure what delivery would cost. The main reason I went with that particular trailer is that it was the only non-covered trailer I found that could carry two full dress touring bikes. The rails the tires sit in are 40" apart center to center. I've seen them carry two Goldwings at once.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #19
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Yes, one person can easily fold/unfold it. I'm also extremely pleased with the workmanship. I purchased it via the internet from MotorsportTrailers.com and got a great price on it. A friend of mine in our riding club is currently checking on getting one and was quoted a price from MotorsportTrailers.com of $2030.00. I'm not sure what delivery would cost. The main reason I went with that particular trailer is that it was the only non-covered trailer I found that could carry two full dress touring bikes. The rails the tires sit in are 40" apart center to center. I've seen them carry two Goldwings at once.
Thanks a bunch for the info, I think the dual bike Kendon is the way to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!