SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
slickfox
slickfox is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 Saturn SC2 Trunk Leak

On the passenger side in the trunk I have a puddle in the well. I have taken this for repair 10 time (same shop). All the side panels glue have been resealed. Glue is old and not holding up. HELP. The back window has been checked and they are at odds as to where the leak is. The rubber seal on back window is loose. Any ideass on how to fix?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slickfox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slickfox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 1997 Saturn SC2 Trunk Leak

I know this is going to sound stupid, but get a bucket of water and pour it over the trunk, then quickly open the trunk and see if you can notice where it is dripping in from. Hopefully this will help pin-point the leak.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

if you have a sunroof, make sure the drain tubes are connected and not clogged. they are on each side of the trunk. pull the carpet aside and check it out.
if not, then lay the back seats down, get a flashlight and look for a leak while someone else runs a hose over the trunk. pull the carpet out first, it makes the leak easier to locate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPDucketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPDucketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPDucketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

After I got done tearing apart the trunk in my SC2 I noticed a vent on the drivers side. I think that acts like a drain for any water that accumilates on that side. Why didn't they put one on both sides?

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Spanky
Spanky is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my 97 SC2 when I first bought it. I bought it used, so I don't know if it always leaked, or if it started in time. I took it to a Saturn dealer and they removed the rear fender and found a spot where the body was not sealed well. This was a few years back, but I believe the problem was on the driver's side on my car. Body sealer is generally applied by a robot, so if it was not applied well on my 97 SC2 there are probably many others with the same problem. Are you going to a Saturn dealer or some other repair shop? There may even be a TSB on this issue. Saturn fixed mine the first time, and I have been driving it for several years now with no leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spanky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spanky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
yougotit
yougotit is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Have you considered condensation? If I dont check my trunk periodically I will find one of the wells FULL of water and this baffled me until I noticed that the sides of the inside of the trunk behind the thin insulation were slick with beads of condensation. Mystery solved for me and now I always have a rag stuffed at the bottom of each well and check it/change it often.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yougotit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yougotit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yougotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

It's a common problem on the 2nd and 3rd gen SCs. You need to remove the rear quarter panel, and find the leak in the space frame. Mine was done at the dealer recently, and some one else did their own and took some very nice pictures. Try looking for that thread. That is if it's not the sunroof drain tubes.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac
I know this is going to sound stupid, but get a bucket of water and pour it over the trunk, then quickly open the trunk and see if you can notice where it is dripping in from. Hopefully this will help pin-point the leak.
Or just leave the lid closed, fold down the rear seat and watch from inside.

BTW, shouldn't the well (presumably the spare tire well) have a drain? Might it be plugged? My dad had a Plymouth Volare (okay, you can stop laughing now), and had some cr@ptastic "rustproofing" applied. Turns out they PLUGGED the drain holes for the trunk wells behind the wheel wells with the goop they applied. Had the opposite effect of that intended (as if that car needed any help rusting out...).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Spanky
Spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue

BTW, shouldn't the well (presumably the spare tire well) have a drain? Might it be plugged?
I don't believe most modern cars have any type of drain holes in the trunk. There should not be any water getting into the trunk in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spanky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spanky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote