SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
sgoff83
sgoff83 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default 1996 Saturn SL2: Major squealing problem!

I really hope someone can help me with this problem because it's starting to bug me and I REALLY hope it's nothing major as I am moving down to southern California at the end of July and can NOT afford any humongous repairs.

THE CAR: A 1996 Saturn SL2 with about 35K miles on it when I bought it a month and a half ago and now it's up to 36,500 miles.

THE PROBLEM: Whenever I start up the car (and this problem has only presented itself in the past couple of weeks...when I first got it, it would squeal for about 1 minute and then shut up), this high-pitched squealing noise comes out from under the hood! It won't start squealing until I actually put the car into gear (drive or reverse) and it won't squeal when the car is in motion...only when the car is stopped (like at a stop sign or stop light) and idling away. The squealing finally seems to stop after the engine is completely warmed up (which is a little past the quarter mark on the temperature gauge).

After the engine is warmed up, you can only hear it faintly...but it's still noticeable.

My suspicion is a loose fan belt. My boss told me today, that with Saturns, there isn't two or three fan belts like in most other cars...but only one that controls many things in the engine (I'm sorry...not too knowledgeable about cars so forgive my stupidity on the subject matter).

I'm hoping that someone here can help me either solve this problem or give me some advice on what the problem may be and/or how to go about fixing it!

Thank you for everyone's time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sgoff83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sgoff83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sgoff83 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
Default Re: 1996 Saturn SL2: Major squealing problem!

Sounds like just a serpintine belt from what you are describing. Not too expensive at the local parts store, $20-$30.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Check your belt tensioner. With the engine off, after you've got the serp belt off turn by hand your idler pulley, if it squeals/wobbles it has to be replaced.

Everytime I replaced my serp belts I've had to replace the belt tensioner.
I had the squeal in my 98 SL2-it needed belt tensioner, idler pulley and serp belt at 175,000 miles.

Two weeks ago the serp belt was loose from a failing belt tensioner on my other car-a 98 SL.
I replaced both for that car at 150,000 miles.
I would search the how to library and consider doing it yourself to save $$$$.

Serpentine belt-$25
Belt tensioner-$65
Idler pulley-$40

You don't want a serp belt to break on you---you could lose power steering
pump, water pump and LOTS OF $$$$$ to get it fixed!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

While you've got the belt off, spin each pulley (A/C compressor, water pump, alternator, power steering, idler, tensioner) by hand; that should give you a clue whether it's one of them, or just the belt, that's the culprit.

(Oh, and there's no fan belt. Fans on most cars have been electric for decades now; you might wanna "update" your boss.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
sgoff83
sgoff83 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Thank you to everyone for helping me out with this!!! I appreciate it soooo much!

I have no idea what to do, but if there's a help section on this web site (as, I believe, someone above mentioned), I would do ANYTHING to save myself some money!

Again, thank you! And if anyone else has any advice to give, I'd much appreciate it!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sgoff83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sgoff83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sgoff83 is offline   Reply With Quote