SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Saturns burning oil

Are Saturns the only car that burns oil?! I know they are wonderful cars, but what actually causes them to burn oil?! Would my 2000 SL2 eventually burn oil?!

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
walt
walt is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturns burning oil

I own two S series. One with 62K on the clock, One with 72K on the clock .The 62 k burns a QT about every 1500 to 2,000 miles, the 72 k burns a QT about every 2,000 miles. This is considered normal for most every vehicle. Had a Le sabre with 27K which burned a QT every 1,000 miles.Had a caviler with 80K that burned a QT every 700 too 900 miles. Most all vehicles I owned through the years (all used ) burned a QT every 1,000 miles. Judging by this I think my Saturn's do pretty well. The only car which impresses me as much is my Geo. At 135,000 miles I burn a QT about every 1,500 to 2,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
s3nfo
s3nfo will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I've had a LOT of cars and the only one I've ever had burn any oil was the '57Chevy Belair I owned in high school, even my 100K LW300 burns zero oil. Burning oil is usually a symptom of worn piston rings or valve guides or seats. Model lines that burn oil usually have rings or valves made from sub-standard materials.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

I've owned 9 saturns and only one used oil. It was approaching 200,000 miles and consumed almost a quart between oil changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Every single car burns oil. Whether you notice or not is another matter. However, there are degrees of oil burning. I'd say that anything more than 1/2 quart between oil changes is excessive. Different manufacturers have different thresholds of what "acceptable" levels of oil burning are permitted before they will allow a warranty repair. I've seen that level go as high as a quart every 1000 miles.

The first order of business would be to determine that the oil is indeed being burned and that it's not leaking out. Have you checked the engine for signs of leakage? Any puddles or stains under your parking spot?

What kind of oil are you using? Have you tried using a good quality synthetic oil?

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhawk
I've owned 9 saturns and only one used oil. It was approaching 200,000 miles and consumed almost a quart between oil changes.
My '95 SC2 would use about a half quart between changes too and that was from the time I bought it new until the time I sold it at about 25k miles. It was always fed a diet of Mobil1 synthetic and the oil was changed every 5,000 miles.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

My sister and I both had 92 SC's and they both burned oil from the first day. They used to use a quart of dino oil every 1500 miles. It eventually became a qt every 1000 mikes after 125k miles.

I had a 85 Calais 2.5L that barely used any oil. It was about 1/4 quart down after 3000 miles. This increased to 1/2 quart after 150k miles. This was the lowest oil usage of any car I ever owned.

I wished I would have tried Mobil 1 oil in my SC. I was told by one Saturn mechanic that if you drive your Saturn swiftly, reving it high often, the dino oil vaporizes in the engine and is burned. This doesn't occur with Mobil 1 since it has superior high temp characteristics.

Some Italian engines like the Alfa Romeo's were designed to burn oil. They had 7.8 qt supply, and when it got doen to 4.75 qts your at the danger level.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

My car uses between 1/2-1qt. over 3000 miles. It's got 88,000 on the clock right now. My old SL1 used about 1qt. every 1000 miles at about the same mileage.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
SaturnManiac
Master Member

As far as I can tell my 2000 SL2 does not burn oil. YAY!!!! But yes, I do check my damn oil!!!! I was just sick of someone saying Saturns were crappy because they burned oil. So now I can spit back in his face and say "Hondas probably burn oil too." Does anybody know if the Hondas or Toyotas or anything Japanese burns oil?! This arse wanted to make it sound like Saturns are the only car on the face of the planet that burns oil......which I knew wasn't true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac
As far as I can tell my 2000 SL2 does not burn oil. YAY!!!! But yes, I do check my damn oil!!!! I was just sick of someone saying Saturns were crappy because they burned oil. So now I can spit back in his face and say "Hondas probably burn oil too." Does anybody know if the Hondas or Toyotas or anything Japanese burns oil?! This arse wanted to make it sound like Saturns are the only car on the face of the planet that burns oil......which I knew wasn't true.
There used to be some bonehead on the saturn USENET group about 5-10 years ago that constantly harped on that, though he never owned a Saturn. I find those kinds of people rather sad. It would be like you or I hopping on the Ducati group, having never owned one, and then lament about this 'n that. It gets tiresome.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 07-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
96GSL1
96GSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

My '96 burns a quart of xw-30 every 500 or so miles. Just changed it to Rotella T 15w-40; we will see what it does to consumption.

96 SL1 202k
98 Windstar 123k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96GSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96GSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96GSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GSL1
My '96 burns a quart of xw-30 every 500 or so miles. Just changed it to Rotella T 15w-40; we will see what it does to consumption.
It probably won't do diddly for consumption, but it may reduce your gas mileage a skosh. Unless you've got a leak, that's some serious oil consumption.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 07-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
It probably won't do diddly for consumption, but it may reduce your gas mileage a skosh. Unless you've got a leak, that's some serious oil consumption.

Cheers,
Yeah, really.

I guess the car is an oil alcoholic, LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Are Saturns the only car that burns oil?! I know they are wonderful cars, but what actually causes them to burn oil?! Would my 2000 SL2 eventually burn oil?!
No, Saturn's are not the only cars that consume oil. Check out a Mazda RX-8 sometime. Their rotary engine uses oil. a Saturn 1.9L may consume oil if/when it gets past the piston rings and/or valve guides. Your mileage may vary.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #15
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
No, Saturn's are not the only cars that consume oil. Check out a Mazda RX-8 sometime. Their rotary engine uses oil. a Saturn 1.9L may consume oil if/when it gets past the piston rings and/or valve guides. Your mileage may vary.
So I guess one day my 2000 SL2 will start burning oil?! Bummer. I was hoping Sexy wouldn't do that. Maybe he won't cause he's my baby....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #16
batmobile
batmobile is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

My 94 SL2 has been leaking/burning oil for a LONG time now, probably 100,000 miles at least (has 178K on it now). I have NEVER seen a puddle under the car but have seen oil covering many areas underneath. I often wonder if it just leaks when it is on the road or whatever. I suspect that my problem is a combination leak and burn off. I thought most was coming from a leaky valve cover gasket, but not much changed after I replaced that and now the thing leaks again!! I never spent much time trying to find out exactly where the leak was coming from it is has always been much easier to just add that extra quart every 1,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to batmobile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help batmobile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #17
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

You people havent even seen A car that burns oil,
our car has been going through a quart per 300 mi.
I too changed it over from dino to Rotella 5 w 40 full syn .
also put the big 400s motorcraft oil filter on
the oil has about 500 mi. and is really looking GOOD
also it is still full,and you dont need a prybar to pull the fill cap out now !
Wish us luck , I had already tried the mmo soak ect. with no change !

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #18
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr B
And this is a Saturn?!

Speaking of Saturns burning oil, again, is there a way to prevent them from burning oil?! Things you can do while the engine is still fairly young, and doesn't have many miles.....this is just out of curiousity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #19
danwhitney
danwhitney is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1998 SC2

Quote:
I've got a '90 Toyota pickup with 257k miles on the odo, and change my oil with Maxlife Synthetic every three thousand on the nose. I burn about a quart between oil changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danwhitney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danwhitney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #20
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr B
My 94 SL1 burned 1 qt/300 miles also. I think the Saturn gods decided I paid my dues and my 93 SC2 doesn't burn any (knock on polymer!) and so far, neither does my 99 SL2.

As for other cars burning oil - my dad's Hondas (he has like a million of them) all burn oil, some worse than others. My brother has had 2 Toyotas that burned oil. Any car with miles on it will usually burn oil, but some models are worse than others - the Cressidas were notoriously bad for burning oil and they were Toyota's top luxury model in the 80's and early 90's.

13 Chevy Equinox, 7k, built in Spring Hill!
93 SC2 purple, 204k, SBNO
99 SL2 Homecoming, 198k
94 SC2 aquamarine, 167k, for sale!
01 Mustang GT, dark red, 203k, SBNO

... I have too many cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote