SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
DiabloDan
DiabloDan is on a distinguished road

Default 1996 Saturn SL2's Power Windows quit working

one day my windows on my car just quit working...thankfully they are stuck in the up position. But i would really like to get this fixed because i would much rather have the windows down than have to run the a/c all the time. I took it to a repair shop and he checked it and said the fuses were all fine, but he wasnt good with electrical things and that i should take it to someone else. Well, before i take it to someone else who will actually charge me money, i was wondering if there is anything else that i can check myself that i might be able to fix. He said he thinks it might be a relay. Im not really sure what that is, or where its located. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!!

-*Dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DiabloDan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DiabloDan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DiabloDan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Re: 1996 Saturn SL2's Power Windows quit working

Looks like another person maybe tearing his door panels apart. Anyway, check for voltage at the switch before anything else, then start digging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
DiabloDan

where/what is the switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DiabloDan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloDan
where/what is the switch?
I'm assuming he's talking about the switch used to lower/raise the windows.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

If they've all failed, it's more likely something "upstream". A fuse, relay, etc.

You have checked every fuse in both fuse boxes, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
DiabloDan

ya, all 4 windows quit working at the same time. No, ive only checked the ones like, power windows, and locks....i suppost tommorrow, ill rip out every fuse in the box...im not really sure how to see if thos big gray blocks are good or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
ya, all 4 windows quit working at the same time. No, ive only checked the ones like, power windows, and locks....i suppost tommorrow, ill rip out every fuse in the box...im not really sure how to see if thos big gray blocks are good or not.
You can usually see if a fuse is blown. Or perhaps maybe an auto parts store you can borrow some kind of testing tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

A VOM set to resistance or continuity will do it. Cost about two gallons of gas ($6.00) at Harbor Freight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
just4fun
just4fun is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

[QUOTE= He said he thinks it might be a relay. Im not really sure what that is, or where its located.

-*Dan[/QUOTE]
The power window relay is located in the fuse panel on the passenger side of the console. Remove the panel and on the backside of it will be a diagram of all the fuses and relays. Right next to the power window relay is the rear defofroster relay.(if equiped) Swap the relays for a quick trouble shooting test (knowing your defrosters work). If you don't have defrosters, you can open the fuse and relay center located in the engine compartment. You can use the horn, foglamp, a/c, or fan relay to test. They are all the same. If this cures your problem, replace the bad relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to just4fun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help just4fun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
just4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
DiabloDan

ok...so went into the fuse box and replaced that gray square thing (the rela?) for the windows with the one for the defroster. and it still doesnt work. U said check ever single fuse? arent some fuses delicate, like...someone told me if u take out the airbag fuse, the airbag will go off....or is this not true? If its not...ill go ahead and rip out ever fuse and check them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:

Those big gray blocks are relays, and they RARELY go bad because of their design. I doubt that is your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Isn't there a wire that goes to all four of them?! In that case, couldn't that wire have gotten pinched or messed up somehow?!

Damnit, where is Low Saturn, he would probably know, he's stripped a Saturn plenty of times before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
DiabloDan

I checked all my fuses under the hood and under the dash...so....now what should i check?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
jollymoon
jollymoon is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

I have a 1991 Saturn SL. Where is the Electric Window Relay located? Passenger side? I checked the fuse box under the hood, and there was no place for the 1" square "relay" switch. Nor under the dash that I could find, just a large aluminum with fins heat thing with several large wiring plugs on it.

Still trouble shooting my Driver Side Electric Window. I don't know if it is the motor or the relay? I finally got the driver side outside door panel off ( great tutorial here: home.comcast.net/~David93SL2/regulator/ {15 Post Rule} ) and I drowned it in WD 40.

Thought it looked STUCK, like the teeth were off sync on the regulator, and I couldn't get it to move, but I suspect the motor. The console switch for the window still glows, but I don't know if the console switch is functioning either.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by jollymoon; 04-13-2010 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: update

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jollymoon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jollymoon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jollymoon is offline   Reply With Quote