SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #21
silentspoon
silentspoon is on a distinguished road

Attention Re: How-To: MMO Piston Soak + Oil Change

MMO is NOT a cleaner, it is oil, a lubricant. It cleans nothing. Pouring it into your crankcase only to drain it out several hours later is a complete waste of your money.

As a lubricant, MMO (oil) is intended to replace a quart or so of your oil until the next oil change. You can also use it as a fuel additive, again NOT to clean, but to lubricate. Marvel creates fuel treatments for these purposes.

I know this post is eons old, but for those that find this thread via google, as I did, I hope this saves someone some money. MMO is great stuff when used properly, and I believe the thread here is fantastic for first-time oil changers, but I strongly recommend replacing the MMO steps above with an actual flush cleanser (sorry, I don't have any endorsements) - and then at the end of the oil change procedure, go ahead and add the MMO.

For answers to MMO questions, visit their website

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silentspoon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silentspoon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
KevSC1
Advanced Member
KevSC1 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
1995 SC1
Default Re: How-To: MMO Piston Soak + Oil Change

The FSM suggests having the car level when changing the oil, so I jack the back up too (takes an extra few seconds, but is much less messy.

And when lubricating the o-ring on the filter, dip your finger in the nice clean new oil you're putting in, not the dirty, old nasty stuff you are taking out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #23
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevSC1 View Post
The FSM suggests having the car level when changing the oil, so I jack the back up too (takes an extra few seconds, but is much less messy..
I've found the cleanest changes I've had were when I made sure the little drip rail under the oil filter is nice and clean and the passenger side of the car is jacked a hair higher than the driver side and nothing else raised....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevSC1 View Post
And when lubricating the o-ring on the filter, dip your finger in the nice clean new oil you're putting in, not the dirty, old nasty stuff you are taking out.
Anyone ever done this?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #24
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentspoon View Post
MMO is NOT a cleaner, it is oil, a lubricant. It cleans nothing. Pouring it into your crankcase only to drain it out several hours later is a complete waste of your money.

As a lubricant, MMO (oil) is intended to replace a quart or so of your oil until the next oil change. You can also use it as a fuel additive, again NOT to clean, but to lubricate. Marvel creates fuel treatments for these purposes.

I know this post is eons old, but for those that find this thread via google, as I did, I hope this saves someone some money. MMO is great stuff when used properly, and I believe the thread here is fantastic for first-time oil changers, but I strongly recommend replacing the MMO steps above with an actual flush cleanser (sorry, I don't have any endorsements) - and then at the end of the oil change procedure, go ahead and add the MMO.

For answers to MMO questions, visit their website
Welcome to Saturnfans! You're right and wrong. MMO is a cleaner just as much as it is an oil. GM Top Engine Clean is a great solvent and would fit the bill for what you'd call a cleanser. MMO can be used without having to change the oil immediately after a soaking. The only downfall is you have to leave it in longer and may have to do several treatments to match the TEC's results.

To shed some light on the 'mystery' of the MMO, here's a link to a marine forum that if not correct, is the most reasonable guess as to the components of MMO. If you'd rather have the Cliff's Notes version, its basically a light machine oil with around 20% solvent (mineral spirits?), dye, wintergreen, and phosphorous.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

Last edited by FrozenPilot; 05-12-2008 at 11:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #25
KevSC1
Advanced Member
KevSC1 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
Anyone ever done this?
From the original poster's instructions: "Now on the new filters what I usually do, is I will take some old oil and dab some on my finger to lube up the rubber seal on the new filter."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #26
Denis Twosaturn
Denis Twosaturn is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1995 SL2

It's funny how we all do things just a little differently.
I usually fill my new filter to the top with new oil and let it soak in for a couple of minutes ....empty it out, and then install it. In my wierd way of thinking, it helps the filter fill faster and therefore starts providing protection sooner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Denis Twosaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Denis Twosaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Denis Twosaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
UsNsUbSoNaR
UsNsUbSoNaR is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I used this filter when I changed oil last, huge difference in size and seems to move oil better. Thanks for the tip! Also try the oil bottle funnel for taking the old filter off, saves a lot of cleanup! BTW, the motorcraft filter is cheaper than most filters out there (Fram).

1993 Saturn SL 145k miles 5spd (Sold)
2003 Saturn Vue 52k miles V6 AWD (Sold)
1999 SL2 152k miles Auto (Sold)
1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UsNsUbSoNaR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UsNsUbSoNaR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UsNsUbSoNaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #28
Frank2029
Frank2029 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psywar View Post
[b]Now its time to go back outside - Pop Open the hood and stuff some towels down the holes
It will look something like this

Now you will go in the car and turn it over for a few seconds 3 to 5 secs.

You will prolly see the towels launch out of the holes - Go put them back in the holes and turn it over 1 more time for a few seconds.

I dont understand this part. Can someone elaborate??

__

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frank2029's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frank2029 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frank2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #29
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

You need to purge out the MMO you poured in. If you don't cover the holes you'll end up "coughing" it out all over your engine, garage floor, and maybe the walls. The paper towels will soak up the MMO. I usually put the paper towels in the spark plug holes, then cover them all with an old bath towel. Just make sure the towel doesn't get close to anything moving/turning.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #30
HotLava-'94SC2
HotLava-'94SC2 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I just did an MMO piston soak. Great thread. Thanks to all the posters. Here is my observations for my 1994 SC2 DOHC with unknown but suspected +100k miles.

After pouring in 2 ounces in each spark plug hole I covered with towel and waited about 20 hours. I then stuffed towels in each hole and turned the car over. As mentioned, the towels were pushed out of the holes but no MMO was noted on said towels or around plug holes. I taped a q-tip to a straw and dipped it in the plug holes and there was no MMO present in any of the cylinders (small amount of black carbon on the q-tip). I replaced plugs and the car started right up with very minimal amount of smoke, if any. Drove fine and seams to drive a little better (less noise) after an oil change. Will probably do this before the next 3 oil changes and see what happens.

As for the missing MMO, it must have drained past the rings and into the oil pan. I checked the oil and it was about 1/2 quart high. Does this mean my rings are shot? Perhaps a compression check is in order. If I do I will post a follow up with the numbers in this thread.

Thanks all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HotLava-'94SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HotLava-'94SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HotLava-'94SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLava-'94SC2 View Post
As for the missing MMO, it must have drained past the rings and into the oil pan. I checked the oil and it was about 1/2 quart high. Does this mean my rings are shot?
Quite the contrary. If the MMO drained, it probably means the oil rings are NOT coked up, thus allowing oil to drain back into the sump, and NOT burn in the chambers.
Quote:
Perhaps a compression check is in order.
It might be informative, but it would be irrelevant to the topic at hand. A compression test tells you the condition of the compression rings. The MMO soak works on the oil rings. The only issue that would be common between them would be a damaged or excessively worn cylinder wall, and that's exceedingly rare. Saturn technicians who have torn down these engines after well into six digits, even ones with significant oil consumption, have seen cylinder walls with the original honing marks visible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #32
Lenny_ViDiViCi
Lenny_ViDiViCi is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ok in the process of doing the MMO soak ( started 4 P.M. ), and a spark plug change now. But I misread and poured 4oz. In each cyl. 1/2 hour later, after re-reading the how-to, I turned it over a few times to purge some out/ soak the valves too. I shined a flashlight down the tubes and saw a mirrored reflection in each of the lit plug tubes, indicating a fair amount of MMO is still left in each cly. Hopefully some will leak past the rings by early morning.

Otherwise I'll suction some out before installing the controversial dub plat plugs. That step is to quell my worries of hydrolocking (F.U.B.A.R.ing) the engine, which is, I guess, covered in the purge portion in the how-to. But the consequences of pouring in too much, and not properly purging, is not. Either that or I'm just as anal retentive as my boss says I am :-)

I'll post results, and maybe pics, when all curse words are said, and all work is Done.

Last edited by Lenny_ViDiViCi; 07-08-2009 at 03:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lenny_ViDiViCi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lenny_ViDiViCi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lenny_ViDiViCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #33
Dubs Films
Dubs Films is on a distinguished road

excellent write-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dubs Films's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dubs Films reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dubs Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #34
GOODY2SHZ
GOODY2SHZ is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
2002 SL

Would the instructions for an MMO soak be pretty much the same for a 97 SL?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOODY2SHZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GOODY2SHZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GOODY2SHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #35
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

thanks for the write up. It will be useful if my car ever needs it.

But one thing got me, why pour half a bottle of MMO (instead of saving for the next soak) into the crankcase only to ride around the block with it. I could see a few days or a few hours or driving, but just around the block.. Seems wasteful to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #36
rlhdghhmh
rlhdghhmh is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

hey guys will this filter work on the SOHC or will there be a different one but same brand let me no thanks.

2002 SL1 GO BIG OR GO HOME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlhdghhmh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlhdghhmh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlhdghhmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #37
GOODY2SHZ
GOODY2SHZ is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODY2SHZ View Post
Would the instructions for an MMO soak be pretty much the same for a 97 SL?
I guess I answered my own question cuz I did it anyway. It was pretty much the same on my 97 SL except I think the plugs are more deepset. I had to use a very skinny funnel to pour the MMO in. Got white smoke and other crud out the tailpipe the next day. Runs as good as it ever did, which is pretty darn good. Won't know if it burns less oil for a while yet. Oh yeah, we also did it on my husband's 94 Geo Metro. Huge amount of white smoke out the tailpipe! He says his gas mileage since then has very noticeably improved. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by GOODY2SHZ; 08-20-2009 at 10:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOODY2SHZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GOODY2SHZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GOODY2SHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #38
1997sw1
1997sw1 is on a distinguished road

All the posts talk about leaving the mmo in over night but would there be any problem with leaving in in longer, like a few days? I have to replace my radiator and it will be a few days before i can, I was thinking of doing an mmo soak and just leaving it sit for a few days until my radiator arrives. would this be bad? or will i not see a real benefit from any longer? instead of mmo over several days would atf or seafoam b better? thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1997sw1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1997sw1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1997sw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #39
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

You can leave it in a few days no problem.

02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolgreany's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolgreany reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #40
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

any of you every hold mmo and atf in your hand at the same time? they look, smell and taste like the same thing.

I'm waiting for mine to soak in, i put too much in as well it doesnt cough it up anymore but theres an 1/8 of an inch still in the cylinders and I know that enough to raise the compression 12.5 since .04 shave on the head raises it 1 point .125 added to the top of the piston should make just a tad over 3 points, unless my thinking is flamuxed.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote