SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 06-18-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
americanbulldog
americanbulldog is on a distinguished road

Default how to trell if my engine mounts are bad

hey every one,

i need to know how to tell if my engine mounts are bad.can i just open the hood and look or do i need to jack the car up,and about how much is it to get it done at a dealer.like parts and labor.

and can u tell me symptoms of bad engine mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to americanbulldog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help americanbulldog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
americanbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
BadAssSaturnSC2
BadAssSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: how to trell if my engine mounts are bad

I had the upper motor mount (torque axis mount) replaced earlier in the year at the dealer. I believer it was around 100$ for parts and labor. Symptoms were a somewhat rough idle and rough gear shifts. Just by visual inspection, you can tell if the mount is damaged or cracked.

-Jeremy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BadAssSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BadAssSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BadAssSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Jinjo
Jinjo is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

The Upper Motor Mount is the most visible mount when you pop the hood. You will see it on the passengers side of the car. It will be made of metal and rubber. If you can fit your fingers in the little space there (when you look at it, you'll know what I mean), then it's time for a replace.

Most common symptons is vibration. Mine was totally broken and my car shook so much that holding the steering wheel on idle would shake my entire body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jinjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jinjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to all

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

I've been wondering about the "space" people keep talking about. Is it the space on either side of the "hump" in the middle or the space in the middle?
The rubber part goes something like _____/------\_____ from what I can feel with it, w/o the extra tall sides of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
jmb127
jmb127 will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Check: this thread (condensed version here) for Saturn's official measurement procedure (with links to instructions on measurement and replacement with illustrations).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmb127's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmb127 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmb127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Fido, it sounds like you have the "second design" mount. IIRC, that was an undesirable mount to have anyway, and Saturn went back to the original design. So you may want to replace it anyway. Since you have the second design mount, you'll probably need new studs (the length is different between original and second design).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
bonfireking
bonfireking is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

While you stand to the side of the car with the hood up, have someone torque the engine. If it's an auto just put er in Drive, mash the brake and the accelerator at the same time. In a manual, pull the parking brake and act like your trying to go. (I advise to stand to the side of the car just in case something bad happens...) Whoever is helping you, have them push the accelerator repeatedly.

What you are looking for: if the mounts are bad, the engine will move a lot (watch the valve cover, if it moves more than two inches, you may have motor mount issues).

'97 SC2, 200k, rebuild in process
'00 Honda Civic EX, 180k
'87 GMC S15, 80k
'84 Mustang, can't wait to rebuild [again]
'03 Honda CrV, 80k
I'll find more when I mow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bonfireking's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bonfireking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bonfireking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to all

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Think a '97 SC2 would have the second design as well? I'm thinkin' I'll need a few gallons of PB Blaster with all the parts I'm wanting from it...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #9
Asinity
Asinity is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

My passenger-side dogbone mount was shot and I was getting a wicked knocking noise everytime I would downshift, come to a stop or start moving the car. After $115 for parts and $40 for labour I had a nice, knock-free engine again. You can see the drivers-side dogbone mount if you remove the air-intake box, if you've got a CAI or a Short-Ram, you can easily see it.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asinity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asinity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
mad_nigerian
mad_nigerian is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

crap i just posted something similar to this oh well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mad_nigerian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mad_nigerian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mad_nigerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
americanbulldog

stupid ?.so save the dumb **** i know already.lol.

what does the engine mount look like on my car.i have a 97 sl2.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help americanbulldog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:30 AM   #12
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

I just replaced mine about a month ago. It was $60 for the parts and $0 for the labor (I did it myself). If you have the time, do it yourself, it's really an easy job. It took me about 1/2 an hour. (Not including the time I had to spend running to the parts store because I didn't have the right size deep socket. It takes a 15mm socket and I had up to a 14mm socket or something like that. ) And the experienced members say to get the mount from a Saturn dealer, so that's what I did. The difference between the old mount and the new mount is amazing.

Here's a how-to guide by wolfman:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nt+replacement

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
'98GoldSL1
'98GoldSL1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
2001 SC2

I'm thinking one of mine are bad too, everytime I give my car a little gas *98SL1* it makes a clicky/knocking sound. it only does it when I'm accelerating, and it doesn't matter if I'm giving it a little gas or a lot AND it's coming from the right side.

I know it's not a CV shaft *which I thought it was originally* I replaced both because the boots were shot and the sound is still there. How would I be able to pinpoint it to an individual engine/tranny mount? I'm pretty sure it's the dogbone mount on the bottom right side of the engine, but I'm not positive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to '98GoldSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help '98GoldSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
'98GoldSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
fetchitfido

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

The upper engine mount on my parts SC2 looks like it's in better condition then the one on my DD SC1, would it be a safe thing to do to put it in my SC1?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Last I knew (I could be wrong) the SOHC mount is different than the DOHC mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #16
americanbulldog

hey every one

i finally opened my hood to see if my engine mount way bad.and i dn if what i was lookin at was the engine mount but it looks like a metal upside down u almost, but the inside has rubber inside.and i can stickinside the top part.so u figure its like a half inch mabe more between the metal and rubber on top.so is it bad.do u guys think and would that cause the car to shake becouse i get some wicked shaken sometimes .but when i drive it will go away.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #17
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanbulldog
hey every one

i finally opened my hood to see if my engine mount way bad.and i dn if what i was lookin at was the engine mount but it looks like a metal upside down u almost, but the inside has rubber inside.and i can stickinside the top part.so u figure its like a half inch mabe more between the metal and rubber on top.so is it bad.do u guys think and would that cause the car to shake becouse i get some wicked shaken sometimes .but when i drive it will go away.

thanks
Yes and Yes

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #18
americanbulldog

hey how much is the part and labor together.and is it something that i should goto a saturn dealer to have done or would a reg mechanic be good.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

To replace a TAM...

First of all, I don't car how car illiterate you are, it CAN be replaced as a DIY job. All you need is a good jack, a piece of wood, and a 15mm six point deep well socket... maybe a breaker bar.

Just put the jack under the oil pan, with the piece of wook between the jack and the oil pan (so as not to dent the oil pan), and jack the engine up just a little bit.

Remove the 3 bolts connecting the TAM to the head.

Remove the 2 nuts connecting the TAM to its chassis mount.

Install is the reverse.

This should cost you the 75 - 90 USD for a TAM and that's IT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:07 AM   #20
americanbulldog

hey

im not car illiterate at allk.i just never done this so i didnt know if it was hard or not.i dont have access to a flat grown.i live in nj and the roads sucks at least in wharton where i live,and the driveway is dirt and un even becosue there diggen it up so i dint know if it was a hrd job or anything.

thanks for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!