SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
Z34guy
Z34guy is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Who changes their timing chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
GM? What GM 4-cylinders, other than Saturn, are chain-timed?
besides the ecotec and Saturn engines? GM's OHV 4 banger ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_122_engine )

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - 3.4L DOHC 24 valve "Twin Dual Cam" LQ1 hemi V6 - bent valves
2004 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe Level 2 - 2.2L L61 ECOtec I4, 5 speed manual. The new DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Z34guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Z34guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Z34guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #22
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That business about the engine being "designed by Opel" is not correct That is a 100% Chevrolet/GMNA designed engine.

The 1.8 OHC engine that was offered later as an option was from Brazil and Opel designed. Opel split with GM over accepting GMNA's OHV engine for their version of the J Car. I don't remember what Vauxhall did. Opel deemed it too stone age .

A great account of the J car's development was written by Brock Yates called "The Rise & Fall Of The American Automobile Industry". The 122 was discussed at length in the book as an example of why the US lost it's dominance in the market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
KD5NRH
KD5NRH is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10W30 View Post
I've changed dozens of timing belts also. The fact "many engines will be blown" due to a timing belt breaking" is NOT the vehicles poor engineering, It's "OWNER NEGLIGENCE".
Using a part with a dramatically shorter maintenance interval, particularly one with catastrophic results at failure, and then blaming failure on negligent users is negligent engineering.

Might as well save a few cents by replacing the oil drain plug with a cork and then blame users for not changing it weekly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KD5NRH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KD5NRH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KD5NRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
notagearhead
notagearhead is on a distinguished road

2002 LW200
Well maintained, broken chain (and ruined engine) at 164,000.
I'll change my 2003 L200 Tchain at 100 or 125 k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to notagearhead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help notagearhead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
notagearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #25
OldGuy43
OldGuy43 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Idea Re: Who changes their timing chain?

It's an older thread, but I need the post count so I can post links, images etc, and it's a subject that I am well versed in;

I will not comment on gear driven vs. chain driven vs. belt because this forum is about Saturn's, and apparently they are all chain driven. There are multiple reasons the chain might fail:
  1. Age; Yes, they can just wear out, but should take quite awhile.
  2. Maintenance. Primarily lubrication, i.e Oil and filter changes.
  3. Driving style, The more frequently and harder you mash the skinny one on the right the more the chain will stretch. Laws of inertia.
  4. DOHC or SOHC. The more mass, the more force required to accelerate. Inertia again.
  5. Heat cycles. It's a piece of metal. It doesn't like temperature changes.
  6. Torque. The amount of force produced at the crankshaft.
  7. Speed of rotation. The faster it moves, the more friction, = more heat

Basically Physics 101.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGuy43's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGuy43 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldGuy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #26
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Having just had an engine head destroyed by a broken chain guide (slipped chain at 140K miles), and having two OHV chain design engines in my lifetime, I'd say that I would rather own belt driven vehicles. There is a lot less to go wrong and it is a lot easier to repair... however, you must change the belt every 100,000 miles.

I too was under the misconception that a chain driven valve train would last the life of the vehicle ... or at least 200 K miles. Had I known better, I would have replaced the chain between 100 and 120K miles.

The other OHV chain driven engine I had was a Mitsubishi 2.6. That was another nightmare chain driven engine and I had to replace the chains twice in the life of the vehicle (still running fine at 252,000 miles but along came cash for clunkers in 2009).

All my other vehicles (post 1978) were belt driven and I simply replaced the timing belt at 100 K. It was a nice clean job and an easy Saturday repair.

All pre 1978 vehicles I owned were not overhead cam, so they just had a short chain that never gave any problems.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #27
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Knock on wood- when my Ecotec engine noise changes, I'll park it and do the chain/guides/tensioner. AS yet, there's no startup rattle or whirring from the Vtrain and the engine is strong.

Until then,,, a diet of the best filters and oil that can go in it.

It still has the original TC...

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #28
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

Timing chains rarely completely fail, but they do get pretty sloppy over time. It's a 'while you're in there' type thing in my opinion unless you are on a budget.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sean R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #29
jrdonnellyjr
jrdonnellyjr is on a distinguished road

What's the torque for the timing chain cover and is there a sequence to tighten the bolts on a 1996 saturn 1.9 liter engine dual overhead cams

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrdonnellyjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrdonnellyjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrdonnellyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #30
mrbios
mrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonnellyjr View Post
What's the torque for the timing chain cover and is there a sequence to tighten the bolts on a 1996 saturn 1.9 liter engine dual overhead cams
22 ft lbs for the (14) 10mm bolts and 89 inch lbs for the (1) 8mm center bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrbios's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrbios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #31
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

I replaced the timing chain on my previously owned '99 SL2. I was rebuilding the engine anyhow so....why not?

The engine had about 126K miles and the tensioner was extended past the maximum suggested length....meaning that it NEEDED replacement. So chains really do stretch over time and require replacement. My current Saturn needs a new timing set soon (along with an engine rebuild).

I've also replaced a timing belt on a 1st gen Plymouth Neon. Personally, I prefer the belt over the chain. In both instances there was little room to work so close to the fender wall. But with a belt, there is no large oil seal that needs to be meticulously cleaned and new RTV applied and cover installed quickly to avoid RTV drying too soon. That's the main part I hate about the chain. Although I was successful with no oil leaks after replacing the timing chain, it is much easier to re-install a PLASTIC cover with only foam seals.

I would say a timing belt should last about 60K - 80K miles, while a timing chain will last anywhere from 100K - 150K miles depending on different factors (good or poor lubrication mostly).

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #32
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about2000sl1blue has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
2007 SKY Red Line

I only changed mine because I had to replace the cylinder head. I had 137,000 and when measuring the old chain, it looked like new

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote