SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Who changes their timing chain?

I always thought one of the best things about GM 4 cylinders is their unusual timing chain. Considering many engines will be blown due to a timing BELT breaking, (ahem…Honda) and knowing that many big V-8's have hundreds of thousands of miles on their timing CHAINS, I always felt secure knowing I had a chain instead of the belt.

Now I am rethinking. My L-200 with the 2.2 Ecotech is nearing 100,000 miles. Should I change the chain?

Some engines shut down when a timing belt/chain breaks to save the engine. Does the Ecotech do this?

Please let me know if you changed yours as a maintenance item, or worse: blew an engine due to one breaking.

Bob in Michigan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Who changes their timing chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertburns3
I always thought one of the best things about GM 4 cylinders is their unusual timing chain. Considering many engines will be blown due to a timing BELT breaking, (ahem…Honda) and knowing that many big V-8's have hundreds of thousands of miles on their timing CHAINS, I always felt secure knowing I had a chain instead of the belt.

Now I am rethinking. My L-200 with the 2.2 Ecotech is nearing 100,000 miles. Should I change the chain?

Some engines shut down when a timing belt/chain breaks to save the engine. Does the Ecotech do this?

Please let me know if you changed yours as a maintenance item, or worse: blew an engine due to one breaking.

Bob in Michigan.

There is no service interval for the timing chain. If you regularly change your oil, it will probably outlive the engine.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I rolled the dice and never changed the timing chain in my old SL2, and I put 220,000 miles on it without a problem. Still had the original alternator as well (and only the second battery).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

The main reason the engine stops with no damage is that most US engines, (before I get flamed, not ALL engines) are not interferance engiines. Meaning that there is enough room at the top for the valves to be open when the pistons come up. They stop because without the timing chain, the cam stops thus the valves stop and so on.

I don't know if the engines in the L cars is an interferance engine or not. If it is, if the chain breaks or fails the likelyhood of doing damage to the valves and/or pistons is good.

The engine in the S cars IS an interferance engine. But as posted, it is designed to last the life of the car provided the routine maintenance is kept up. Most imprtantly, the oil changes and oil level. Regardless of whether or not the engine is an interferance engine or not, keeping up with oil changes and level is paramount to engine longevity.

I have changed the timing chain in my SC-2 mainly because I had other reasons to be in there and at 100K miles it just didn't seem right to go back together without replacing what would be considered a wear item.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
I've changed my timing chain on my current Saturn, and it's no big deal. 4 hour job...max.
I've changed dozens of timing belts also. The fact "many engines will be blown" due to a timing belt breaking" is NOT the vehicles poor engineering, It's "OWNER NEGLIGENCE". A timing belt on any vehicle should be checked every 30,000 miles to see IF it needs changing. Then it's recommended to change it anyways at 70,000 miles.
Most people are stupid, ignorant creatures when it comes to cars. Most people WON'T do any kind of routine maintenance check ups if the "Idiot Lights" don't turn on.
I know alot of people who drive Honda's, and pretty much everyone I know says the same thing about them. They have this misconstrued notion that Honda's last forever. That's BULLLLLSH**. They only last a long time if you take care of them by doing the routine maintenance check ups when the handbook says to.
A vehicle does'nt last longer due to a timing chain, that's plain BULLSH**. I'll never believe it. Vehicles last a long time due to the owner being responsible towards the vehicles maintenance.........cut-n-dry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
I always thought one of the best things about GM 4 cylinders is their unusual timing chain.
GM? What GM 4-cylinders, other than Saturn, are chain-timed?

One other thing about chain- vs. belt-timing: a chain will usually give you some warning. And AFAIK, it's typically not the chain itself that goes, but the guides and/or tensioner. The result is the same, but there's considerable audible warning. When a timing belt snaps, it just snaps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

[QUOTE=madpogue]GM? What GM 4-cylinders, other than Saturn, are chain-timed?

All the old Saturn engines and all the 4 cylinders from the Quad 4 on to the current Ecotechs were chain timed I believe, but I could be corrected by a more knowledgable person.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
MGonzales
Advanced Member
MGonzales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10W30
Vehicles last a long time due to the owner being responsible towards the vehicles maintenance.........cut-n-dry.
Amen. That maintenance just cost more with a belt.

Mark
'99 Civic Si

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGonzales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGonzales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
GM? What GM 4-cylinders, other than Saturn, are chain-timed?

One other thing about chain- vs. belt-timing: a chain will usually give you some warning. And AFAIK, it's typically not the chain itself that goes, but the guides and/or tensioner. The result is the same, but there's considerable audible warning. When a timing belt snaps, it just snaps.
The 1.8,2.0,2.2 used in the J body for 25 years [except for the 2.0 in the Sunbird which was a Brazilain OHC that used a belt] The 2.5 Iron Duke used a timing "gear".
And I must agree about maintenance: once again my brother MURDERED a car by driving it without oil: the 95 SL1 that I fell in love with and prompted the purchase of my own. He sold it back to the dealer for $350.00. Started his serial killing with a 66 Corvair and continues to this day. Shameful. They're out there.
In general, timing chains don't need replacement except at overhaul. Honda started requiring this as a maintenance item in the early 80s when it was discovered that their CRX was snapping it's belt like clock work at 60,000 miles. They quietly added it to their owner's manual as a service item for the 60,000 mile service.Call it CYA [cover yer a**].Others seemed to follow after that.This was in an Auto Issue of Consumer Reports sometime in 83-84 or so in a report on "Secret Warranties", not something I am making up for entertainment value.
I do not remember any interval being suggested with the 2.3 Pinto engine or the Vega OHC of the 70s though.
Was there one on the Pontiac OHC 6, one of the first [if not THE first] engines to use a rubber timing belt ? It was pretty revolutionary at the time [for a US vehicle and a first for Pontiac [rubber timing belt] IIRC].

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Robertburns3: I always liked the yestertech GM 4s with their OHVs and timing chains/gears. Old fashioned but they worked and no $300.00 service every 60,000 miles [or 5 years]. And while that's not a lot of money saved over the life of a car...... NOT having to do it is a more satisfying option than fussing over it at any mileage.
On the older Hondas the valves had to be adjusted every 15,000 miles too. Doubt it's that way today, but just another area where people could screw up a car by not keeping up with the servicing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

This is one of the main reasons why i got rid of my honda prelude(91) the timing belt..if u can get it changed for 300 bucks then keep ur mech..ave cost around here and honda stealership was 500-800 dollars..of coarse they tried to do waterpump as well...but! timing belts in a very small car with small room to work is extremely difficult...one of the main things i fell in love with this car (VUE) was timing chain and the self adjustin valves..why havent honda switched to this is beyond me..u think if they are making saturns with chains why not hondas? everytime i see a redline or 05 v6 sometimes i get a little pissy...i wanted this great suv with an awesome honda reliabliy..(going by my honda exp..never had a saturn) but then i think about the timing belt and having to adjust the valves and that makes me more than ok with this 2.2lecotec...the one thing i will take my hat off to saturn for..just a little side note..are these 2.2l ecotec compared the same to the quad 4,s in the early ninties cutless? my dad found a nice silver early 90s cutless..small 2 door thang..it said on side QUAD 4. and omg did that car fly..i mean up against some muscle cars..was just wondering if the ecotec was the newer replacement for it..sometimes when i think my car has no balls..i rev it up past 4 grand then i feel the power!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
silvervu
silvervu is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1998 SW2
Cool Re: Who changes their timing chain?

Ihave a 04 vue awd 3.5 v6. AN aquaintance said he would do the jobb for me and got into it then flew the coop.Now i know he is educated enough to complete the job properly,but that be a moot point.I decided to tackle this job myself and am having a basic problem of deeing the location,exactly,where the various pulleys,idler,etc. .Surf is right it is a very tight job,however if you take the time to remove alot of the item,it's not so bad,thus far anyways.Icould use a good frontal view of locations(parts).Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvervu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
The 2.5 Iron Duke used a timing "gear".
Starting in 1990 on some of them, they used a chain. Those Iron Dukes also had a unique force balancer down low in the oil pan... they were smoother and had a unique sound, but still redlined at 5,500 RPM and sounded like death warmed over when being pushed over 4,500 RPM.

I had one in my first car... I loved that engine. Torquey and relatively refined when it was warmed up - and it had grunt when you needed it.

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy View Post
Starting in 1990 on some of them, they used a chain. Those Iron Dukes also had a unique force balancer down low in the oil pan... they were smoother and had a unique sound, but still redlined at 5,500 RPM and sounded like death warmed over when being pushed over 4,500 RPM.

I had one in my first car... I loved that engine. Torquey and relatively refined when it was warmed up - and it had grunt when you needed it.
My RWD '80 Sunbird (somewhat solidified stepchild of a Vega) had an Iron Duke that could chirp third gear. One of the few "double-duty" engines that was originally designed as longitudinal, but was re-purposed as a transverse engine. Friend had one in an '82 Citation; autotragic in it must've been a POS, because that motor sure didn't perform in that car the way it did in my Sunbird.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer13 View Post
one of the main things i fell in love with this car (VUE) was timing chain and the self adjustin valves..why havent honda switched to this is beyond me..u think if they are making saturns with chains why not hondas?
because honda = import. Imports in general = belt*.

*: I've read that newer Civics are actually CHAIN driven

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
ktthecarguy
ktthecarguy will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I just did the chain in my '96 SL2 It was a PITA, but doable in the vehicle. Worst part was getting the chain cover back in the car without smearing the RTV sealant. Other than that, not too horrible a job.

I think it failed because the tensioner seized up. My guess is that allowed the chain to start stretching. It does give ample audible warning when it starts to go... mine sounded like an out-of-tune diesel engine toward the end. Turns out the chain was rubbing against the upper chain guide, which BROKE OFF, and punched a hole in the valve cover, which shot oil like a geyser... god, what a mess!!! Now it runs nice and smooth - and much quieter!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ktthecarguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ktthecarguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ktthecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
because honda = import. Imports in general = belt*.

*: I've read that newer Civics are actually CHAIN driven
I've owned a few Nissans and they are all timing chain. Thank god!

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I laugh when I see the comment about all cars last forever with proper maintenance, and that the only reason why a Honda will last forever is because its owner changes the belt.

Well, the timing chain might last a whole lot longer on your Saturn, if you also don't mind changing the piston rings every 150-200,000 miles, 'cause you're going to start burning a whole lot of oil! ...And that's something a Honda typically won't do.

Also, regarding having to adjust valves, that's only if you let the oil get bad. In an OHV design, the valves shouldn't need adjusting if the engine is being lubricated properly. At 258,000 miles my friend's 1990 Civic's valves still measure factory clearances, and have never been adjusted. Hydraulic lifters start ticking and don't work properly with time, and need to be changed.

....But the timing chain is a nice idea. Still, if you retension your timing belt periodically, it can last a very long time. When it starts showing signs of cracking and wear, then it needs replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
madpogue

1996 SW2

Retension the timing belt? I've owned or worked on a dozen or so 1.7 and 2.2L Chryslers (well, the 1.7 was a VW, technically), and a couple of 1.5L Mistubishis (Colts), and not one of them had a timing belt tensioner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
ryankenn
ryankenn is on a distinguished road

My old GMC they just checked the stretch in it and if it was good, they put it back in. My Ford though I've changed the timing chain a few times as its a fairly simple swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryankenn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryankenn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryankenn is offline   Reply With Quote