SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Default How to remove wheel balancing weights?

Is there a way for me to remove the wheel balancing weights at home, and be able to re-install them? Does the tire have to be unmounted from the rim, or taken to 0psi? (breaking the bead seal)

I want to paint my wheels a gunmetal color using Dupli-Color Wheel coating, but I can't have the balancing weights on there when I do it.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: How to remove wheel balancing weights?

The wheel weights are put on AFTER the tire is inflated while it is on a spin balancing machine. While there is a "special tool" for just this purpose (removing and installing the weights) they can be worked off with careful prying with a flat bladed screw driver. To reinstall them, make sure the "U" shaped clip that goes over the tire rim is not opened up, place the weight in the desired location, and then TAP it on over the rim of the wheel with a small hammer, or hammer and a small flat bladed screw driver placed where the weight meets the clip. (The "special" installation tool is essentially just a small hammer with a narrow head.)

NOTE: Mark the TIRE first with a grease pencil or similiar marker so that you can be sure to get the weight(s) back on EXACTLY where they came off. DO NOT deflate or remove the tire from the wheel or it will need to be re-spin balanced.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
burnout
Master Member

Thank you VERY much.

I planned on marking where the center of the weight goes on the tire.

When Sam's Club mounted my new tires on (235/60R16 Goodyear Integrities for those that are curious) I kinda got a good view through the window of them hitting it in... Now I know that's basically what they were doing :-P

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

If you're going through that much trouble, why not pay the $20-30 to have them re-balanced and ask them to use stick-on weights instead. Then there won't be any weight on the wheel lip at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
burnout
Master Member

Ahhh I forgot about that!

Its probably fine to drive with unbalanced wheels to the tire shop, correct?

What sucks, is that even though the dupli color paint is pretty durable, I don't trust any wheel shop to be careful with it. I'll look into it though.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I painted the wheels on my SC gun metal with that Dupicolor paint. Let me just warn you that if you don't prep the wheels ahead of time really well, the paint won't stick. You may also want to prime them first (something I didn't do). Also, a clear coat would be a good idea (again, something I didn't do). My paint was easily scratched off and I eventually took a wire brush to and now they have that brushed aluminum look.

And yes, driving a little ways with no wheel balancing weights will be fine. If you don't ever go fast enough, you might not ever know they aren't there.

Good luck.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
burnout
Master Member

Yikes, I can't get the weights off with my trusty flat blade screwdriver...

Should I just take the car to a shop to get them re-balanced using the sticky-weights?

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout
Yikes, I can't get the weights off with my trusty flat blade screwdriver...

Should I just take the car to a shop to get them re-balanced using the sticky-weights?
Any garage/repair shop will have the $10 special tool to pop the weights off. Chances are that if you ask nicely, someone would just pop them off for you. Putting them back on can be done with a rubber mallet (or a regular hammer if you're CAREFUL).

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Mr Joe Handyman
Mr Joe Handyman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I used to work at a tire shop, and have seen this lots. the paint wil peel in a year or so. Unless you paint the entire tim. inside and out. Don't forget to rough the surface up so that the paint will adhere better, and be sure to put a couple of coats of clearcoat on after to protect it well. For best results your rims are going to be unusable for about a week. Painting rims is fun, but it's a lot of work if you want it to look good and last. if you don't have a spare set of rims, you might get some cheap steel ones at a junkyard. then you can swap to the steel ones while you are working on painting. Otherwise, have some blocks and another car to drive, get the tires taken off the wheels, (along with weights,) paint 'em up, and then go back and have them re-mounted. (Be sure to have them use the sticky weights so there's less chance of messing up your paint, also let them know that it's a newly painted rim and make them use coated equipment. It will cost a little more, and it's a bit of a pain, but it's the difference between your paint job lasting 1 year or 10.

Dont criticise someone till you walk a mile in their shoes.
Then you'll not only be a mile in front of them but you'll also have a new pair of shoes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Joe Handyman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Joe Handyman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Joe Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote