SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
bskicrash1
bskicrash1 is on a distinguished road

Location: Norwich NY 1993 Sukuki GSX-R 750 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

2000 SC2
1996 SL2
Default acceleration...

i have an automatic 96 sl2... when i push the pedal down all the way ... i notice the car pushes me back in the seat until about 3,500 rpm's then the car slightly hesitates, and then it takes off with even more power than before (lol... no its not shifting gears).... i understand dyno charts and what rpm's the torque and horsepower is at... my question is: Why does the car slightly hesistate at 3.500 rpm ? does anyone else's do this? is this common?

Oh, and the car is in second gear when it does this

Could this be a problem (like with motorcycles and having to rejet them?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bskicrash1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bskicrash1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bskicrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
tex89408
tex89408 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: acceleration...

I have a 96 sl1 and mine does the same thing in second gear sometime during the gear.. it is weird but it not that bad for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tex89408's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tex89408 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tex89408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Maybe it's the car telling you, "if you do that again, it might just cough and throw up oil all on the ground".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
bskicrash1

2000 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10W30
Maybe it's the car telling you, "if you do that again, it might just cough and throw up oil all on the ground".

LOL... wow, between your calvin image and you saying that...i just couldn't hold it back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bskicrash1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskicrash1
LOL... wow, between your calvin image and you saying that...i just couldn't hold it back!

Twin Cam Saturns begin to come into their power between 3500 and 4K rpm's. You probably feel the power band beginning.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

My '95 SL2 does the same thing-but I don't think it's the power band beginning because the revs almost seem to drop for a second before it starts accelerating again (this isn't when it's floored-I haven't tried that, just going up a very steep acceleration ramp).

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
bskicrash1

2000 SC2
1996 SL2

yeah, my revs drop from 3,500 to 3,100 and it kicks in with power!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

While this idea wouldn't apply in Tex's case, unless he/she has a twin cam engine in their SL1, isn't the hesitation then the other surge of power you all mention coming from the other set of valves coming on-line? I know that under 3,500 rpm, all four valves on the DOHCs open and close but only two of them work, one to let in the air and fuel, mix and burn them and then the other valve to exhaust it. Above that rpm range, the other two valves activate too, hence the extra boost in power. Or am I completely off-base? <shrug> Just a thought...

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys
While this idea wouldn't apply in Tex's case, unless he/she has a twin cam engine in their SL1, isn't the hesitation then the other surge of power you all mention coming from the other set of valves coming on-line? I know that under 3,500 rpm, all four valves on the DOHCs open and close but only two of them work, one to let in the air and fuel, mix and burn them and then the other valve to exhaust it. Above that rpm range, the other two valves activate too, hence the extra boost in power. Or am I completely off-base? <shrug> Just a thought...

Actually, it's just when they make their power. All the valves work all the time, period. S-Series do not have variable valve timing, or any fancy crap like that. Twin Cam's just make their power above 3500rpm's. That's all. These are not Lamborghini's. They're Saturns.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
sc2trapped
sc2trapped is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

i have a sc2 and kinda have the same problem, i was told that it could be the valvebody. When i put my car on reverse it doesn't shift for a few seconds and then it goes into reverse whith a kick, when it shift into second it does the same thing. i took it to saturn and they said that the presure is not releasing on time, thats why its doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2trapped's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2trapped reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2trapped
When i put my car on reverse it doesn't shift for a few seconds and then it goes into reverse whith a kick, when it shift into second it does the same thing. i took it to saturn and they said that the presure is not releasing on time, thats why its doing that.
That sounds like the very common "reverse slam" problem-look up wolfman's reverse slam fix procedure in the how-to library; it outlines a very simple cure for the problem.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
tex89408
tex89408 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

on my sl1 sohc it goes 4.2K then drops to 4K then goes up again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tex89408's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tex89408 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tex89408 is offline   Reply With Quote