SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
SVO4Turbo
SVO4Turbo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default How hot can she go?!?

Greetings All-

Just purchased a 95 SL2 with 143K on the clock. Car is perfect, save one thing I've discovered. If I have the A/C on, no problem. Temp stays at 1/4 of gague consistantly. If I turn off the A/C, Temp climbs. I actually let it climb up just shy of the red today (this only happens at idle), before turning on the A/C to kick on the fan and cool it down today.

About when should the cooling fan kick on by itself?

I'm sure I can put a switch inline to deal with this myself, but how could I get it to behave as it should? (I can see my wife not looking at the temp gague, and POOF!)

Thanks!

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SVO4Turbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SVO4Turbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SVO4Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How hot can she go?!?

As long as it is not IN the red zone don't worry about it. It is a common complaint about many Saturns, but it does not mean that it is overheating.

They were just a bit sloppy on the calibration of those guages..

See this thread http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75985

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

It will straddle the red zone until about a hair's width before the fan comes on. But I believe its 226 degrees until it comes on.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

You can change your ects LOL. Sorry I had to. But seriously since green didnt mention it you need a new brass ects if you havent already replaced it. My fan before it busted would kick on at 3/4 mark and go right back down

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agoldslsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
SVO4Turbo

1995 SL2

Good to know. I'll let it idle a bit longer and see what happens when she creeps into the "Red Zone". Thank you.

Also, I just noticed another post about this, and the guy totally got flamed for asking this question. Thanks for not giving me the same treatment

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SVO4Turbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
SVO4Turbo

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldslsaturn
You can change your ects LOL. Sorry I had to. But seriously since green didnt mention it you need a new brass ects if you havent already replaced it. My fan before it busted would kick on at 3/4 mark and go right back down
Speaking of being green, that's me With that being said, I'll just ask a couple questions and throw caution to the wind on sounding stupid. Without buying a manual, has somebody published a little engine pic that outlines the location of various sensors that are always discussed?

Also, what is the MMO thing that I've seen in about 50 threads?

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO4Turbo

Also, I just noticed another post about this, and the guy totally got flamed for asking this question. Thanks for not giving me the same treatment
Every question is a valid one. I blame Saturn for calibrating the guage on the older models to indicate so high before the thermostat opens.

If it was mine, I would check the coolant only with the engine stone cold, and make sure it is at the proper level. As they get older the reservoir cap fails to hold proper pressure and the system boils because of the lower pressure. Think about maybe changing out the cap or get it pressure checked at a parts store.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Speaking of being green, that's me With that being said, I'll just ask a couple questions and throw caution to the wind on sounding stupid. Without buying a manual, has somebody published a little engine pic that outlines the location of various sensors that are always discussed?

Also, what is the MMO thing that I've seen in about 50 threads?
It will all be explained in great detail if you buy my book.$$$ Just kidding, search the How-To forum for everything you wanted to know and even somethings you might not about the ECTS, and MMO piston soak. Look for threads by wolfman especially

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Everyones green! I want to be a green m&m when i die. Ok not really lol. Im green though but with my amount of posts yad think i know it all. Far from it

I dont know if anyone has published a pic, maybe in the how to sub forum? Im not sure ?

MMO soak is marvel mystery oil, you can also use Seafoam, or GM sells stuff called GM Top Engine Cleaner (I got some free, so i dont know how much it is, the mechanic likes me <snickers>) It "remoisturizes" (I think) and unsticks the rings which allow oil blow by, which results in lowering your oil consumption. If you have a major oil consumption problem this would probably be something to try to see if it helps. Another thing could be a cam cover gasket There is a how to on how to do it. Its easy though pour a bit in each spark plug hole (after removing plugs!) and allow to soak overnight, then cover the holes and turn the engine (it wont start you dont have plugs in). You may notice some mmo above still and that means your rings should be good (I believe, someone will correct me if I am wrong). You want to have those holes covered or you end up with MMO everywhere. Believe me, been there done that! You can also pour some in the crankcase and fuel tank.

You have a good car! I have the same car but the sohc. Apparently the 95's are a good car. Oh and you can use a paperclip to read your ses light so dont buy a fancy gimmick!

(AND of course since i typed everything out my post is last, LOL, green and uzzy covered it already)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
It "remoisturizes" (I think)
Ummm not exactly

Quote:
and unsticks the rings which allow oil blow by, which results in lowering your oil consumption.
Well that's more like it.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

OK, I said I believe. I couldnt remember! I knew it unstuck them, but it kinda does remoisurize the engine LOL.

OK sov ignore that part

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
iRBigN00B
iRBigN00B is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

My fan seems to come on just about half way between 2/4 and 3/4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iRBigN00B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iRBigN00B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iRBigN00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
MMO soak is marvel mystery oil, ...It "remoisturizes" (I think)...
Spoken like a true blonde...

(ducking to avoid chair flying up from FL)

To your question about the engine and its sensors, find a post by Wolfman, and click on the camera icon under his name. His gallery has a series of photos of an S-engine, with sensors, etc. identified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

This is about the most often asked question and sometimes people get testy, ignore 'em. This site is fairly lacking in FAQs and noob guides compared to some.

Wolfman has some good engine sensor pics labeled in his gallery, down on the bottom of page 3.

Oh and keep an eye on your oil dipstick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDuck
It will straddle the red zone until about a hair's width before the fan comes on. But I believe its 226 degrees until it comes on.
Define "straddle". It should NEVER actually go into the red. The fan comes on at 221 deg F give or take a degree. This is BEFORE the red.

Normal running temp, just below 3/8 indication, 85 deg C - 185 deg F
3/8 indication 94 deg C - 201 deg F
1/2 indication 101 deg C - 214 deg F
Fan came on at just below 5/8 105 deg C - 221 deg F
Fan went off at 97 deg C - 206 deg F
I allowed the engine to run long enough to go through 2 fan on/off cycles to verify the on/off temps. I then turned the Air Cond on to force fan on. I allowed the AC to run a minute or so then turned it off. The fan continued to run untill the coolant temp was below 85 deg C, 185 deg F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOTurbo
Good to know. I'll let it idle a bit longer and see what happens when she creeps into the "Red Zone". Thank you.

As stated by another, all questions are valid. Some get frustrated when questions are asked concerning subjects that have been discussed exhaustively in many threads and the answers are available if a search is done.

This subject has been hashed, rehashed, cussed, discussed many times and most times new threads on this subject ask the same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSC2
As long as it is not IN the red zone don't worry about it. It is a common complaint about many Saturns, but it does not mean that it is overheating.

They were just a bit sloppy on the calibration of those guages..
EXACTLY about the RED zone. I don't think I would agree with the "sloppy" adjective. I would actually describe it more as "accurate". Regardless of the calibration, RED is RED, and untill it gets to the RED it is not hot. The problem in my opinion is that most of these cars will normally run somewhere between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. If you check the actual temp of the coolant you will find that this equates to the temp that the thermostat operates around. The problem comes in when warmer weather comes around, they get in stop and go traffic with little airflow over the radiator, the temp starts to rise and they panic because they don't normally see it that high. There is a BIG "BUT" here, that does not mean it is OVERHEATED.

When you realize that the temp gauge is not marked off in actual degrees it is only there as a REFERANCE. The differance between my normal running temp and the "FAN ON" temp is only 36 degrees. BUT that 36 degrees represents a needle travel on the gauge from just above 1/4 to almost 3/4. A lot of needle travel for such a small temp change.

IMHO, the bottom line is, if it doesn't go into the red, the fan comes on with out the A/C on before the temp gets to the red, it DOES come on anytime the A/C is on, you are not loosing coolant, the system is fine, don't panic.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
Oh and keep an eye on your oil dipstick.
No need to call him a dipstick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Spoken like a true blonde...

(ducking to avoid chair flying up from FL)

To your question about the engine and its sensors, find a post by Wolfman, and click on the camera icon under his name. His gallery has a series of photos of an S-engine, with sensors, etc. identified.
sheesh! come on, everything needs a little moisturization (and some things need self tanner. You never truly know how white your legs are until summer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
SVO4Turbo

1995 SL2

Well, I tested it, and the fan does come on, albeit just an itty bitty bit before the red. While it's well beyond my "Comfort Zone", I'll trust that you guys know your stuff and call it OK.

Thanks for the help!

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

I can say one thing I know I am right on LOL.

You can add a manual fan switch and just turn it on when it gets out of your comfort zone. I turn mine on at 1/2 way but my manual switch is the only thing controlling my fan right now.

I am sure if you use an illuminating rocker or toggle your wife and/or you wont forget to turn it off

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #20
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Well, I tested it, and the fan does come on, albeit just an itty bitty bit before the red. While it's well beyond my "Comfort Zone", I'll trust that you guys know your stuff and call it OK.

Thanks for the help!
Seriously, it sounds like it is working like it is supposed to . As long as it works like this and you are not having coolant boil over, you are good to go .

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote