SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Jinjo
Jinjo is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Daytime Running Lights.

So I asked this question awhile ago, but I kinda let it die. I have been doing some research but to no avail.

So I have a 1994 SL. I live in Canada, so DRL HAS to be on ALL cars from the year 1990 and up. The thing is, my DRL's don't work. They don't turn on at all.

I have looked through my fathers Haynes and such, to look at the circuitry but to no avail. They did mention a Day Time Running Light module some where.

Again, I have no clue why they wont turn on. My highbeams work and everything else on my headlights work. (actually, one of my headlights is actually brand new too).

All the fuses are good. I heard of talk of relays but I'm not sure what that means or what a relay is. AND finally, the computer that is near the parking brake, (like underneathe it) there is one connecter that the previous owner disconnected. If I reconnect, the motorized seatbelts turn on but I'm not sure if that would have to do anything with controlling the DRL.

By reading through these books, I find that it has to do with the IGN fuses but these are all good. I am so stumped and I have no clue, on this older car, where to even look for modules or wiring and stuff like that. Thank you SOOO much for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jinjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jinjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Daytime Running Lights.

Only the Canadian "S" series built before 1996 had DRL's. They all got them in 96'. You might want to consider sending a Private Message to board member Ssicarman. He is a current Canadian Saturn Tech and familiar with the older "S" series DRL's (I have never even seen a pre 96' with DRL's here in the states)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Jinjo

2001 SL2

Wolf I'm not sure what you are saying.

I already stated that I live in Canada and the car was built here in Canada. My dad drives a 1993 SL that has DRL's on it. My car does too but I'm just not sure why they aren't working. There are quite a bit of older SL's driving around my city that have them working too.

And yes, I know that 1996 and up they were built everywhere with DRL's. Thats what Haynes said. But it still says that from 1991-1995, Saturn did put DRL's on Canadian cars. They had too by law (until it became a stock feature in 1996, then every saturn had them).

I am just trying to figure out what is wrong.

Edit: I sent a message to Ssicarman.

Last edited by Jinjo; 06-02-2006 at 12:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jinjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjo
Wolf I'm not sure what you are saying.

I already stated that I live in Canada and the car was built here in Canada. My dad drives a 1993 SL that has DRL's on it. My car does too but I'm just not sure why they aren't working. There are quite a bit of older SL's driving around my city that have them working too.

And yes, I know that 1996 and up they were built everywhere with DRL's. Thats what Haynes said. But it still says that from 1991-1995, Saturn did put DRL's on Canadian cars. They had too by law (until it became a stock feature in 1996, then every saturn had them).

I am just trying to figure out what is wrong.

Edit: I sent a message to Ssicarman.
Ummm..that is actually exactly waht I'm saying. (Oh and all "S" series were built in Spring Hill, TN USA,) Only the 92'-95' cars sold in Canada had DRL's the US versions did not. (91's were never sold in Canada)

In 1996 ALL the "S" series US and Canada had DRL's

I have never seen a pre 96' HERE IN THE US, that had DRL's, so I am personally unfamiliar with how they are wired in...

Hense my suggestion that you PM Ssicarman, a current CANADIAN Saturn Tech...who is.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Jinjo

2001 SL2

Ok thanks. I was just not understanding what you said but now I do

Still waiting on a reply though. I am going to my local parts place that has a program (Michell1). You can get all sorts of information with it (I don't know if you have heard of it before). I think it might help.

Any other help, though, would be greatly appreciated too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Just for kicks, does your "brake" dash light come on when you pull the emergency brake??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Jinjo

2001 SL2

Yes. At first, it didn't but then I did the most logical thing and just replaced the light. So, I'm using that as indication that the car knows when the e-brake is on or not.

My guess is faulty wiring somewhere but I have no clue where it's located at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Only reason I ask is that my DLR's are tied into the e-brake. When the brake is pulled, the DLR's go out. Make sure all the wiring to the switch is in order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
Jinjo

2001 SL2

Okay, yeah I knew that. I drove a 2000 Chev Malibu, and I put the e-brake on. That car cries if thats on (never ending dinging) and the DRLs didn't turn on.

Back to my car though

What am I going to have pull apart to look at the wiring?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
tmaugham
tmaugham is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1997 SW2

Maybe an obvious question but did your DRLs ever work in this car? If not maybe the car never had them to begin with. Maybe a car not intended for use in Canada?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tmaugham's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tmaugham reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tmaugham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
willfxp
willfxp is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

You're checking to see if the DRL are on while in Drive, right? I believe when you're in P the DRLs are off... Does your car have a light that tells you that they are supposed to be on (and does it work)?

1997 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to willfxp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help willfxp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
willfxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Jinjo

2001 SL2

I am not sure at all if they ever worked. I am the third owner to this car.

Oh and it's a five speed too. Umm, I know for a fact that they don't come on because if say I'm in first gear and I pull up to a big truck, I can see my headlights reflecting of the car/truck and there's nothing on at all.

My only guess is either something is wrong or something else. But how could (after 4 years since the bylaw was passed) this car not have DRL's?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

are you sure the car was orignally purchased from a dealer in canada?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

What's the more prominent unit of measure on the speedometer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #15
Jinjo

2001 SL2

Kilometers and it doesn't have the shift up thing. I think it would be cool if this car was american but since the instrument clusters points otherwise, I'm quite sure that this car is Canadian.

But, now that I remember something that might be a little more useful to finding a soloution.

Umm, so my seatbelts are disconnected because they were having problems with the battery. The previous owners tried explaining that the batter would be constantly dead and so they would take it in and the tech's would disconnect stuff(my guess is so there was less things taking power away) but instead, it needed a new alternator

So would it have been possible to disable DRL's on a 94 SL that doesn't have a relay for it other than a fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You certainly need the wiring schematics for your car's DRL's, its just a matter of acquiring them online (probably an exhaustive search), from someone's FSM, or someplace. I would try searching around until you get the wiring diagrams so you'll be at least able to poke into your car's wiring in the right direction. Just my 2-cents here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote