SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Rapsack
Rapsack is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default Clunk when in Reverse

Ok guys i have tried some searches on this problem but no one seems to have the same problem as me.
I have a 93 SC2 120,000 miles auto
Whenever i put the car into reverse there is a loud clunk noise from the front of the car. Sometimes it happens right when i put it into reverse other times it requires me to touch the gas before making it makes the noise. I had my brother shift it as i looked at it but i cant really see anything moving or jumping and i was wandering if anyone had this problem and solved it or if anyone could give me any ideas of what i could do.
any help will be helpful!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rapsack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rapsack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rapsack is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Clunk when in Reverse

You will find info if you do a search on Reverse Slam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I had the reverse slam a few times, but not since using Wolfman's cure. However, when I bought my Saturn I could hear a clunk going into reverse or after shifting into drive. I took it back to the dealer, they went through the gears while in park and said the clunk is normal, since Saturn uses gears, not bands in their automatic transmission. I still notice this clunck sound, especially in the morning when I back out of the garage, then shift into drive, and have heard it with other Saturns.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Rapsack

1993 SC2

Yeah only thing that got me thinking theres something wrong because it didnt always do it and i figured something broke.

I did do the search for "Reverse Slam" but most of them all said that it didnt clunk when they first started the car and mine does it all the time that's why i decided to post this one to see if i got any new ideas for things to check.

Last edited by Rapsack; 05-21-2006 at 10:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rapsack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I have no other ideas or info. My knowledge is very limited, but in time, some of the more knowledgeable members may better direct. I will sit on the sidelines and give moral support.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Rapsack

1993 SC2

lol thanks
i need all the help i can get. I been working on this darn problem for ages and still cant get it fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It's reverse slam even if it doesn't happen every time. Read this thread for a cure that sometimes works.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Rapsack

1993 SC2

well i was hoping you were right BarnOwl but i tried that today and it is still doing it. I have ran out of things to check and replace so i guess i might have to bit the bullet and take it somewhere if i cant figure this out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quoting myself from my own instructions....(a first for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
DO NOT MAKE UP YOUR "OWN VERSION" follow the instructions exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
YOU MUST CHANGE THE FLUID FIRST! Doing this with "dirty" fluid still in the transaxle may actually make it WORSE. Also "normal" transmission "flushes" WILL NOT cure this problem, as they don't feed enough "warm" clean fluid through the valve body for long enough.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
Rapsack

1993 SC2

I didnt make my "own version" i followed your instructions exactly and it still does it so that isnt the problem or its to bad for that to fix it.
I thank you all for your ideas and i hope they keep coming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!