SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
syxpac
syxpac is on a distinguished road

Default saturn transmission problem

I have a 2000 saturn sc1 automatic with 58,000 miles on it.The other day after driving it about an hour it seemed like it would'nt go out of 1st gear into second.Also when I put it in reverse it jerked really hard before it started moving.I pulled over and turned it off and restarted it and it drove home just fine.I changed the transmission fluid and filter and it seems to run fine but it still jerks into reverse really hard.Also idles high in park.Any ideas guys? I'm new to the forum,great place by the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to syxpac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help syxpac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
syxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
Default Re: saturn transmission problem

As I'm sure everyone else is screaming at this computers, its the valve body. What is the valve body you ask? Well, its a sqaure metal box that sits on top of your transmission and makes everything work. If you are a hardcore diy type of person like me, you can order a good rebuilt valve body and replace it yourself. In fact, I've been having many of the same issues that you have and recently ordered a rebuilt valve body to fix my problems. Heres were I got mine from, just fyi: http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=448

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Before going to the expense of replacing the valve body. Do a search in the How-To Library for Wolfman's reverse slam fix. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a try.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Tech134
Tech134 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1995 SL2

I'm new here as well. If Wolfman suggests removing end cover and inspecting input shaft nut to see if its loose, then I agree. The nut should be torqued down to 111ft lb, you also should replace the nut. If your wondering why the input shaft contains clutchs for second gear, the loos nut cause movement in input shaft and that movement wont allow second clutchs to apply with out slipping, harsh ingagement. Reverse uses second gear clutchs (and a counter gear). thats why you get a harsh ingagment into rev. and no second.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tech134's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tech134 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tech134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
mikewms
mikewms is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Try the reverse slam fix first with some prolong additive. That should work. Now for the high idle. What is the RPM at idle? Does it change when warmed up? Is it accompanied by an SES light? If you do have an SES light have you had autozone read the codes. If so what code or codes are you getting? I have a 2000 sc1 auto and have done a lot of work on it so maybe I can help.

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikewms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikewms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
mikewms

2000 SC1

BTW. The first thing you really ought to do is change the ECTS. See the how to libraby. That solved a few of my problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mikewms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewms
BTW. The first thing you really ought to do is change the ECTS. See the how to libraby. That solved a few of my problems.
^^^^^^ I agree. The high idle may also be part of the hard jerking.

If you want to inspect it to see which one you have before replacing, the one on the right hand side of the picture is the old style one that is prone to tip cracking and coolant slowly seeping into and ruining the connector.

The middle of the picture shows the newer style one which has a bulgy brass area that will help you tell them apart without removing the sensor.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
syxpac

Very good advice,thanks guys.To be more specific on the high idle,when I start the car it idles fine in all gears but after about ten minutes,it idles at about 1800 - 2000 rpms in park and neutral only.The others idle fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help syxpac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
mikewms

2000 SC1

Idle problem sounds like it is caused by bad ECTS. See this thread.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24003

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
syxpac

Today I tried the reverse slam cure to no success.It does seem to not slam as bad.I might try it one more time just to be sure.Another question - The service engine soon light stays on.Could that also be the ECTS causing it? And when I change it will the light go off? Thanks for all the help so far,very much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
kthane
kthane is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

If you are getting a SES light, go to autozone or something at get it read. It's free there. There is no point gessing at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kthane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kthane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kthane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #12
mikewms

2000 SC1

As stated in previous post, go to autozone or other auto parts store and have them hook up their obd II scanner. They will read the codes for you for free. Write them down and then come back and post them on the board. The SES light is most likely not associated with the ects. It might be associated with the transmission problem or other engine problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #13
syxpac

Went to advance auto today and had a scan done.Here are the results.

P0410 - secondary air injection system malfunction
P0732 - gear 2 ratio incorrect
P0733 - gear 3 ratio incorrect
P0734 - gear 4 ratio incorrect

Any ideas on how to fix these?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #14
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

If the trans hasnt been replaced it sounds like a valve body. Especially since the "reverse slam trick" helped but didnt cure...

If you are mechanically inclined, you can pull the top cover off, and see if possibly the valve body looks excessively dirty or gummy, and also be able to see if the second clutch piston is leaking..... if you get that cover off, you can do alot from up top. If not interested in trying, take it to a dealer.... they are most knowledgable about saturns unique transmission.... should be able to have it fixed within a day, two at the most.

Hope I could help, and if wolfman wants to add more, listen to him first!

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Any mods on this car like a header maybe? the P410 is the AIR (Air Injection Reaction) system. It runs air into the cat on start up to heat it up faster. With those codes, I doubt the reverse slam fix will do it. This is the transmission that came on the car right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
syxpac

As far as I know it's the same transmission that came with the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Most likely it's either the input shaft nut or the valve body. You can look in the How-To Library for information on the input shaft nut. There's a guy on here called rkuris that did a write up on rebuilding the valve body, but he's charging for it. You might want to send him an email. It was around $20. There are several places that provide rebuilt valve bodies as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
syxpac

I'm going to replace the ECTS in the next day or so.As for the other problems, the feeling here is I need to look into the valve body replacement and the input shaft nut.All that sound correct to you guys?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
357kevin
357kevin is on a distinguished road

syxpac, I had a similar problem, it happened right after power washing the engine compartment. Something got wet and it would shift so hard it felt like something was going to break. It took several hours before it started working properly again. I don't know if this is the problem with your car but it's something to consider.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 357kevin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 357kevin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
357kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
syxpac

Well, today I installed a new ECTS and the service engine soon light went off as soon as I started the car.The one I replaced was an old one and looked to be cracked so I'm very happy one problem is gone.Now onto the valve body and/or input shaft nut.Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and help,couldn't have done it without you guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!