SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn OLOA '02 Preview

For the third consecutive year, Saturn is entering Car and Driver's One Lap of America (OLOA) road race. Saturn has big plans this year, and will once again be entering two cars: a black 2002 SC1 and a 2003 L200. The L200 will be painted in the new-for-2003 color 'toreador red'. Both cars will be heavily modified, and Saturn promises they will be very competitive.

Saturn/GM has participated the previous two OLOA events with good results. This year the team is focused on winning in both classes, and finishing in the top 25 with the SC1 coupe and in the top 30 with the L200.

Read the Saturn '02 Preview here. See the L200 Saturn will be entering here. Check out the schedule to see if OLOA will be stopping at a track near you.

Go Team Saturn!

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2002, 10:58 PM   #2
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Cool! I was disappointed that they're not doing Virginia International Raceway this year, but now I see that Summit Pt in West Virginia is not that far away.

Maybe I'll have to visit with Team Saturn up there this year!

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:28 PM   #3
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

SHARP LOOKING CAR.

I have never seen a race car with a roof rack. Never ever.

-Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:50 AM   #4
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Happy

This probably is a stupid question,but is there no class in which the L300 would have a chance for a good showing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 07:30 AM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Happy

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug_E_95_SL2
SHARP LOOKING CAR.-Doug
I'm sure that this statement is open to debate however an impressive win might put some of the looks controversy behind us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 07:35 AM   #6
billdeebs
billdeebs is on a distinguished road

Default SPC to support Saturn OLOA Effort!

As we have for the past 2 years, the Saturn Performance Club will be attending the all day event at IRP on Saturday, May 4, 2002 and encourages all of you to show up and support the team as well. We will have a caravan leaving Chicago early on Saturday morning, around 5 am to head down to the track. The Saturn team members who are participating are genuinely excited and enthused about the project and put a lot of blood (well Berube did last year), sweat and toil into their effort. Please help show them your support!!! If you'd like to meet up with us at IRP, please drop me a line at billdeebs@aol.com. Thanks much and Go Saturn
John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billdeebs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billdeebs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 07:55 AM   #7
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by hugh
This probably is a stupid question,but is there no class in which the L300 would have a chance for a good showing?
Not a stupid question. Remember last year how they ran an "SC1"? Even though it had the twin cam engine, turbo, suspension mods, etc.? The criteria for what class you're in is based on the base price of the stock car. So you can spend $40k or whatever modifying a $12k SC1 and still get it in the economy class. This could be the reason they're using an L200. Adam (SCDYNE) has been saying for months now that GM is developing turbo and supercharging for the Ecotec engine, so maybe this car will have something like that. For a race car, a lighter weight, turbo 4 with a stick shift would probably be better than the V6.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:05 AM   #8
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Wondering why they don't use L100 and do modification instead, but this is irrelevant anyway.

Good thing is: Saturn shows serious interests into this OLOA event and despite of any 'Bad' styling cue of the '03 model year we were ranting, that OLOA L200 does LOOK GOOD for me....

Now I'm curious how 'Heavy' they modified the L.....SuperCharge or Turbo?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:32 AM   #9
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

This is the stuff they need to be advertising. I don't know who is in charge of the One Lap stuff at Saturn, but I think it is time we let him (or her) run the whole company. I like the way he (or she) thinks.

Would be nice to see one of these cars produced as a highly limited special edition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:38 AM   #10
Jeff P

Good point about the advertising. I don't even think they'd need to build anything (except for a sport model like we always talk about). But they should show film of the SC blowing by BMW M3's on the commercials. Or something like that.

It seems really dumb that the only people who even know Saturn does this, and does it well, are us and those who read every article in Car and Driver. The general public doesn't even know it exists, much less that Saturn participates in it.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:38 AM   #11
DAL
DAL is on a distinguished road

Did anyone else notice that it looks like that 2003 L still has the amber turn signals in the rear? Or is that a trick of the light?

Pretty color, wish it came on the 2002

I do wonder why they put a roof rack on a race car, that's odd.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the car performs respectably, at least!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DAL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 09:56 AM   #12
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if those stock looking rims are the ones they will race on?

Something tells me they won't swap on 17" rims.

-Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #13
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by DAL

I do wonder why they put a roof rack on a race car, that's odd.
Based on what I have seen in visiting with the guys the past couple of years, I'm certain they needed the rack for carrying all the stuff they have to bring on the trip. It's a long 9 or 10 days, and they have to be pretty self-sufficient, so they bring lots of their own spare parts.

It's a big chore for them to unload all their stuff, prep the car for the race (time trial) and then load it all back up in order to get back on the road for the next venue. And they can't accept any help from spectators, other than other competitors.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:28 AM   #14
DAL
DAL is on a distinguished road

Ahh...learn something new...

So, will you be posting to Marc Fisher today? Did you catch that "Mayor for Life" is running for the at-large seat? Clearly the man will never truly retire from politics.

At least he will always amuse, this time he will cost less than he did as "His Mayorship".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DAL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:30 AM   #15
LSLWSupplier
LSLWSupplier is on a distinguished road

Rumored power is a 315 hp SAAB derived engine with a 6-speed manual trans. Supercharged, I think.
Car also equipped with ONSTAR.

(Note- 315 hp should be more fun than ONSTAR)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LSLWSupplier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LSLWSupplier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:37 AM   #16
Jeff P

315hp Saab engine eh? To speculate on the possibilities, it could either be a seriously tuned turbo version of the V6 that the L300 and 9-5 share, or maybe it could be a turbo Ecotec, which we know will be appearing in the new 9-3. hmmm. Either way I doubt that any production Saab will be getting a 315hp engine. It would be sweet if that was planned for the new Viggen or Aero, but I don't see that happening unless they get AWD too.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2002, 11:42 AM   #17
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara
Wondering why they don't use L100 and do modification instead, but this is irrelevant anyway.
Probably because they don't make a L100 anymore for 2003 model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:45 AM   #18
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

315HP (V6 or Ecotec?) mated with 6-speed Stick?! Now that's interesting if it's actually a V6, as they always claimed that motor kept tearing apart the Stick and won't risk it to put in race. Now they're even using 6-speed for this '03 L200......guess they're really serious about this.

Unfortunately for us, other than watching and cheering this Kick-Butt L200 on the tracks, we may never have a taste on our own in its Production version. (315HP + 6-speed Tranny on a SATURN L is like a dream!) That's the problem of Saturn in Consumer level......Audi has S6, Nissan has Maxima, Acura has Type-S, Saturn has nothing.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:22 PM   #19
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff P
315hp Saab engine eh? To speculate on the possibilities, it could either be a seriously tuned turbo version of the V6 that the L300 and 9-5 share, or maybe it could be a turbo Ecotec, which we know will be appearing in the new 9-3. hmmm. Either way I doubt that any production Saab will be getting a 315hp engine. It would be sweet if that was planned for the new Viggen or Aero, but I don't see that happening unless they get AWD too.

jeff
300HP from the ecotech motor wouldn't be hard to attain pressurized-- but the Saabs aren't using that motor??? The 3.0L V-6 is common between the two...so that's a possibility. The 6speed sounds cool. Its rather annoying that turbocharged motors and 6speeds aren't something you can get right out of the box from Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-07-2002, 12:26 PM   #20
Jeff P

From what I've read, the engine in the new 9-3 (Epsilon version to debut soon) will be a turbo Ecotec. What the displacement, boost, hp, etc will be hasn't been made available. You got to figure since the A4, 330, IS300, etc are all pushing in the 220 range that the top 9-3 model should get at least that much.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread