SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 08:56 PM   #1
josh93sc2
josh93sc2 is on a distinguished road

Devil Best way to intentionally disable car?

Okay, I figure the best way to disable a car if you don't care about permanent damage is put a handful of dirt in the throttle body. Car starts, engine stops.

However if you don't want to do anything permanent, what's the best way to disable a car? You could do something simple like pull the plug wires, but what if someone has basic knowledge of cars? I figure removing the clutch sensor is the best because it causes no damage, car won't start, and it's not an obvious first place to look.

Don't worry I'm not out for vengeance, I'm just plum curious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to josh93sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help josh93sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
sweet2002sc2
sweet2002sc2 is on a distinguished road

pull the maxi-fuse for the fuel pump.... then it will even crank over!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sweet2002sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sweet2002sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2002, 09:03 PM   #3
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I would think that if you pulled one of the big fuses from the fuse box that this would likely stop it from starting or turning over (depending upon which one you pulled).

Of course up in Boca, all you'd have to do is have it not be a 2000 or newer Mercedes, Jag, or BMW & nobody up there would steal it anyhow...

Although, I do remember as a little tot hearing how my dad and his buddy poured molases in the crank case of a local kid who refused to slow down while on our street. His car lasted something less than a week after that. The molases probably saved his life or someone elses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:31 PM   #4
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Some people wiring kill switches ... not sure if you are looking for an extra step of security or what.

Even a little thing would really throw off someone trying to steal your car. Its a bit unexpected, takes too much time to diagnose the problem (afterall, you are stealing a car), no one wants to steal a broken car, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 08:56 AM   #5
djenning
djenning is on a distinguished road

Are you trying to stop the kids from taking the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djenning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djenning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:24 AM   #6
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

It would be easy to disconnect the connection going into the DIS unit. This is the equivalent of the Coil, and provides the spark for the spark plugs.

This is a rather obvious method.

You could also fit an empty plastic container into the air intake, stopping it up.

-Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:33 AM   #7
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Just let the air out of the tires....

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:44 AM   #8
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Bwaaaa! Ha haa! yes.

No tires? No go.

Can you imagine a car thief working really hard to get into a car, get it started then realize he has 4 flats?

Haaa!

-Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:07 AM   #9
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind resetting your clock all the time... mount your battery in the trunk and install a battery cable connection switch under the seat. My friend always wanted to do that with his Chevelle... not sure if he did. This might not be a good idea with newer cars... lol.

Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
josh93sc2
josh93sc2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by djenning
Are you trying to stop the kids from taking the car?
CLOSE! Actually a friend of our family's tried to do that (didn't work, I forget what exactly he tried) so it just got me thinking how I would do it if I had kids. Maybe just run a chain through the wheels and lock it? Simple, quick, effective....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to josh93sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help josh93sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:35 AM   #11
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

I would start by not giving them any keys.

Failing in that, Just put it up on jackstands, remove the wheels, and hide the lug nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:50 PM   #12
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Idea

Like Phil said:

NO KEYS! as simple as that, why need to go through all the hassles? Or simply Sell the car, as you already leave it on the driveway and let your kids take it. (Hint: You're not using it?)

If the No-key policy failed, simply remove both License Plates and lock it in some place. Let the police gives those kids a lesson, about responsiblity and liability.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread