SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Carriere
Carriere is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
Default Down Pipe/Header Pipe/Flex Pipe/Front Pipe

I dont understand how this can possibly make any sense. My 95 SC1 has 175,000 KM on it and is has been getting louder and louder. I took it to the muffler man and they obviously wanted to upsell me on a new muffler along with a new front pipe, they wanted to charge me 416.00 CDN.

I almost lost it when I heard that they would just be putting some aluminized crap on my car that would rot out just as quick as my mufflers always do, 2-3 years max. Without the muffler it was going to be $300.00, I decided to look around and see if I could find the parts cheaper and get them shipped to Canada, found rock auto to be the cheapest but shipping charges didnt make it worth my while. Then went to Napa they wanted 140.99 just for the pipe itself, talked to my buddy at Chrysler and he called the same Napa store and they said he could get it for 90.00, that is a 50.00 consumer mark-up on that piece of aluminized crap.

I would have had to get someone to weld it on and that would have cost another 50-75 dollars with tax would have taken me to $200.00 - 250.00 depending on if I got the chrylser price (which I would have)

In the end I decided to go to a custom stainless exhaust shop and they said that the would replace the front pipe for me for about $200.00 Cdn with a 10 year warranty, they said it may be a little bit more but 200.00 to 250.00 to get it done with stainless, needless to say I am taking it in there on Monday to get it done. With tax and I will pay cash, I will get 5 times the product for the same price as aluminized crap. So anyone that thinks the custom shops are too expensive like I though, there is no harm in taking it in, at least they will throw it up on the hoist and take a look at it for free.

Oh yeah my pipe has two holes in it where the one clamp holds in right before the flex pipe and the flex was starting to go as well, that what happens when all this Canadian salt in the winters gets in between the clamp and the pipe, eats, eats, eats it away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carriere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carriere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carriere is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Down Pipe/Header Pipe/Flex Pipe/Front Pipe

it pays to shop around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
jcs444
jcs444 is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind replacing the converter along with the front pipe you could buy a direct fit catco converter/front pipe (one piece) from discountconverters.com for your car for $138.50 USD. It is catco part number 4068 and is stainless steel. You could probably install it yourself if you don't mind working with rusty bolts, it is a bolt in installation with three bolts at the exhaust manifold and three bolts at the flange behind the converter.

Last edited by jcs444; 05-12-2006 at 02:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcs444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcs444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcs444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
DecayingOmega
DecayingOmega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs444
If you don't mind replacing the converter along with the front pipe you could buy a direct fit catco converter/front pipe (one piece) from discountconverters.com for your car for $138.50 USD. It is catco part number 4068 and is stainless steel. You could probably install it yourself if you don't mind working with rusty bolts, it is a bolt in installation with three bolts at the exhaust manifold and three bolts at the flange behind the converter.
Yeah, sounds like the pipe to me. My old 92 Honda Civic did that, it blew a hole if the pipe that just kept getting bigger. I got it fixed at Midas for like $150 (New stainless steel pipe).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DecayingOmega's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DecayingOmega reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DecayingOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
jcs444
jcs444 is on a distinguished road

Bad spelling, should be discountconverter.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcs444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcs444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcs444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Gbody403
Gbody403 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

The engine I bought from the salvage yard had a good down pipe and flex section on it. I guess I'll be hanging on to it after hearing your story. I live in Michigan so lots of salt here too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gbody403's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gbody403 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gbody403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Carriere
Carriere is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

jcs444,

that is quite an amazing deal, unfortunately i dont think they ship to canada.

But anyone else with the same problem, I would definitely replace the cat while i am at it, and being a do it yourself job, would be very nice, dont forget those pesky flanges, in canada they can charge you like 12.55 each one, that is such a rip off.

I am not 100% certain but I thought I read somthing on another thread telling people to stay away from catco for some reason or another, can someone chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carriere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carriere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carriere is offline   Reply With Quote