SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
agr1093
agr1093 is on a distinguished road

Default Replacing Vue Sway Bar (really)

I am in the process of replacing the front sway bar on my 04 Vue. And I mean the sway bar! Not the links, those are childs play. What I want to know is: are there any tricks to getting the G.D. twisty piece of steel bar out of the G.D. VUE?!?!?

My wife decided to go off-roading with the Vue and broke the sway bar link, bent the rack and tie-rod end, and bent the sway bar enough so i can't get the link back on. The Vue is not meant for off pavement, those sway bar links are cheesy! I got out the torches and straightened the rack, hopefully it can be aligned. I gave up on trying to straighten the sway bar, but I can't get the damn thing out. I think i do need to disconnect the steering link from the steering box on the rack, but that is stubborn too. I loosened the bolt, but it doesn't seem to want to let go.

So, do I need to disconnect the steering? (If so, how does it come apart, does it just slide apart after the clamp below the u-joint is loosened?) HELP!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agr1093's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agr1093 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agr1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacing Vue Sway Bar (really)

What the heck did she do to bend all of that stuff?
You're just bending back something as critical as a steering rack?

Not sure if the steering rack needs to be disconnected from the column or not. Did you loosen the bolt or remove the bolt? Make sure you remove it completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
agr1093

Yeah, I figured the shaft in the steering column must be notched... I don't know exactly what she hit, she claims it was a piece of wood stuck in the mud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help agr1093 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
D C

If you completely remove the bolt and it still won't slide off, you can separate the upper side a little by sticking a big screwdriver in there and twisting a little.

As twisted as that stabilizer bar is, you might have to lower the rear of the cradle in order to fish it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
Mr Joe Handyman
Mr Joe Handyman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I used to off-road a lot, serious stuff. The only way a Vue will work off-road, (true off-road, not a construction lot, or some old dirt road,) is by taking the body off the frame and dropping it onto an S-10 chassis. This would be a cool progect, but I don't think anyone's gonna drop the money into it. It's a lot easier to use photoshop.

Dont criticise someone till you walk a mile in their shoes.
Then you'll not only be a mile in front of them but you'll also have a new pair of shoes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Joe Handyman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Joe Handyman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Joe Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
agr1093

DC,

It looks like there is one big motor mount in the way in the middle above the rack and below the sway bar. Is this where I might need to disconnect and lower? This is getting kind of serious... I still can't remove the steering shaft, I did try the screwdriver trick... I'll have to hammer on it a little.

I did call my local saturn garage this morning, they said they might be able to fax over some repair book pages, too.

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #7
D C

I guess I could have checked the service manual

Should be no need to disconnect the steering at the column. They show it being removed from the left side of the car. You do need to disconnect both tie rod ends from the knuckles. The exhaust needs to be disconnected on a 4-cyl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
agr1093

So it should come out the driver side... It doesn't say anything about removing the exhaust on the V6 huh? Geez, I tried to pull it that way. I am pretty tempted to cut it in half in the middle, but then I won't know how to wiggle the new one back in!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement

Tools Required

J 44015 Steering Linkage Installer

SA91100C Tie Rod Separator

Removal Procedure
Turn the front to the full right position.
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the front tire and wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
If equipped with a 2.2L (L61) engine, remove the front exhaust pipe. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Pipe Replacement in Engine Exhaust.

Disconnect the stabilizer link from the stabilizer bar.
Remove the left outer tie rod to steering knuckle nut. Discard the nut.

Using the SA91100C , separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle.

Remove the stabilizer bar clamp to cradle bolts.
Remove the stabilizer bar clamps and bushings from the stabilizer bar.
Important: Take care not to catch the transmission shift cable or left wheel house plastic trim when removing the stabilizer bar.

Remove the stabilizer bar from the vehicle through the left wheel opening.

Installation Procedure
Important: Take care not to catch the transmission shift cable or left wheel house plastic trim when installing the stabilizer bar.

Install the stabilizer bar to the vehicle through the left wheel opening.

Install the stabilizer bar clamps and bushings to the stabilizer bar.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the stabilizer bar clamp bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 50 Nm (37 lb ft).

Inspect the stabilizer link boots for damage and replace the stabilizer link if needed.

Important: Hold the ball stud when tightening the nut.

Connect the stabilizer links to the stabilizer bar. Do not allow the boot to twist.

Tighten
Tighten the bar to link nut to 65 Nm (48 lb ft).

Connect the left outer tie rod to the steering knuckle.
Use the J 44015 to seat the ball stud taper to 40 Nm (30 lb ft).
Remove the J 44015 .
install a new tie rod retention nut.

Tighten
Tighten the nut to 50 Nm (37 lb ft).

If equipped with a 2.2L (L61) engine, install the front exhaust pipe. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Pipe Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
Install the front tire and wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
agr1093

OK, its in. I used that handy "blue-tip wrench" to get it out, in other words cut the f*&%er. Then the only way I could get the new one in was to remove the steering rack. When I did that, it slid in easily. The only difficult part of removing the steering rack was loosening and disconnecting the clamp that attaches the rack to the steering wheel shaft. If you use this method, remove the rack, slide in the sway bar and start the bolts to hold it in place, DO NOT tighten. If you tighten the sway bar all the way down, you won't be able to get the rack back in. Slide the rack in, tighten all bolts. Then get the universal on the steering shaft started onto the rack, get a long (3 foot or better) pry bar and tap the shaft back together from the engine compartment, works best with two people. Voila, it is back together!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!