SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
creepyrat
creepyrat is on a distinguished road

Default saturn stalls after it gets warm?

hiya im sure this is a repeat many times over but here are the specifics,

96 sl2 works fine for a few days then the check engine light comes on steady, rpms start to fly all over the tac and it stalls or i can keep it at 3k + and not stop the car.

if i turn the car off when the tac is jumping it wont start for 15 to 25 minutes.

i previously replaced the ects and air temp intake sensors but its been a few years.

tonight i decided to swap relays also and i think they are both fubar my cooling fan never turned on.

any suggestions? clogged fuel filter maybe? bad ects again? i checked my plugs, wires coils they are all good.

its happening every few trips now i drive about 42 miles a day for work its been good for all or half of that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to creepyrat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help creepyrat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
creepyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: saturn stalls after it gets warm?

Get the codes read (AutoZone, et al, will do it for free). Never mind the interpretation, come back with the actual codes.

ECTS may be fine, but the connector may be fubar. How is the temp gauge behaving?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
creepyrat

codes, i will get those tomorrow if i make it there lol.

the temp gauge goes a bit past half but not much farther.

ects or thermostat should be checked im guessing

maybe i wont have to work a 12 tomorrow that will realy help things out.

edit, thanks madpogue for looking this site has been a great help in the past sooner or later ill do more than lurk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help creepyrat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
96SaturnSc1cp
96SaturnSc1cp is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

check your o2 sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96SaturnSc1cp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96SaturnSc1cp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96SaturnSc1cp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
creepyrat

thanks, ill check that to, car cooled down check engine light went away again lol.

relays are fine so's the cooling fan, my brain finaly kicked in a little and i rememberd how to check them the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
96SaturnSc1cp

1996 SC1

yea my buddy had a 95 sl1 and his car would die when ever he stopped at a light if he didnt keep the R's up. turned out he needed all new sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 96SaturnSc1cp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

My 97 SC2 was shutting off when it got warm. It wouldn't restart until after it cooled off. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it's been fine ever since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
creepyrat

a better explination now that it didnt catch me off guard.

ill be driving along and the engine starts to stumble, while it stumbles the tac drops the temp gauge drops and i hear a loud clicking like a relay.

next i will go get my codes as soon as i find my dang book.

gona go search later

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

I am guessing that you have a bad ground connection where it comes from the battery and hooks onto the engine, or flakey battery connections, or loose connector to the PCM.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
creepyrat

i would think that to but the radio and lights dont dim or flicker, ill check all that anyways though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
96SaturnSc1cp

1996 SC1

when i first got my saturn, there were some electrical problems. id touch teh brake and all the gauges would shut off. and then one morning i came out and it was sitting there clicking really fast. it was the relay for my fog lights, but they werent on and the car wouldnt start. so i had to push start it. then i replaced the relay, disconnected my battery for about 10 min to clear computer. after i tightened everything down it all worked out fine. my car even started chiming when id leave the lights on after i got out. didnt do that before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
creepyrat

i dont supose i can paperclip this car for codes can i, obd I or obdII?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Your '96 is an OBD-II, so no paper clip, sorry. But a local chain auto supply will either read the code(s) for you, or lend you a scanner to do it. DON'T get their interpretation, or go to any "book", get the codes themselves and report them back here. The techs can diagnose much more from the actual codes.

Oh, and disconnecting the battery WON'T clear the computer. It'll only clear the presets and time on your radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
creepyrat

thanks very much, now my next question lol, i hope to stop asking before i annoy anyone to much more.

will this scanner work worth a darn with saturns? or does it have any known difficulties with saturns, specificly 96 sl2's lol

thanks agian for all the help

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46030

Last edited by creepyrat; 05-10-2006 at 04:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
madpogue

1996 SW2

That's exactly the kind I have. Cheap as dirt, but it works. Doesn't read stored "history" codes, and the only way to clear a code with it is to leave it plugged in long enough to cycle thru the code(s) three times. But for $40, it does as advertised.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
96SaturnSc1cp

1996 SC1

actually when you disconnect your battery for over 2 min. it resets your computer, and clears all your codes. I know this from experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 AM   #17
bromeoSC2
bromeoSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyrat
a better explination now that it didnt catch me off guard.

ill be driving along and the engine starts to stumble, while it stumbles the tac drops the temp gauge drops and i hear a loud clicking like a relay.

next i will go get my codes as soon as i find my dang book.

gona go search later
Do all of your guages stop reading or just the tach and the temp gauge? Maybe you have an issues with a main relay or the ignition switch has some resistance in it which is causing it get hot and eventually open the "ignition run" circuit, which would explain the engine stumbling and gauges going out. It should not affect your radio since it is on the "accessory" circuit, and the lights will work with the keys not even in the ignition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bromeoSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bromeoSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bromeoSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #18
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

By what you have stated, sounds like you have a Crank Pos Sensor dying. Tach jumpy, wont restart, and start on cool down usually = CKP sensor bad magnet.....

But get the codes read already!!! LOL

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #19
creepyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromeoSC2
Do all of your guages stop reading or just the tach and the temp gauge? Maybe you have an issues with a main relay or the ignition switch has some resistance in it which is causing it get hot and eventually open the "ignition run" circuit, which would explain the engine stumbling and gauges going out. It should not affect your radio since it is on the "accessory" circuit, and the lights will work with the keys not even in the ignition.

just the tac and temp gauge, its a miracle i will actually get saturday off i ordered a code reader but im still going to wander to autozone for some code reading friday or saturday

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #20
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Start with the crankshaft position sensor. I paid $7.99 at Murray's and had it installed in 15 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote