SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
green_sc2man99
green_sc2man99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Wet trunk anyone??

Before you go through and modify the seals and all that kibosh.. I may have a quick fix. Check on the sides of the car. (inside the trunk) On my sc2 there is a drain hose on each side and they were not connected to the body of the car. So the water was just draining into my trunk. I'm not sure if the drain hoses are only with cars with sunroofs but it pays to check it out if you have this problem. It fixed my problem and maybe could be the answer for yours..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to green_sc2man99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help green_sc2man99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
green_sc2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Wet trunk anyone??

I already replaced the seals on my '02 (NOT under warranty ) and I haven't checked to see if it completely cured the problem. It did help, but I haven't had time to make sure it dried properly and monitor it further. I'll take at look at what you found as well, thanks. But I think it might be only for cars with sunroofs.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

I've had a wet trunk...

I threw some silicone insulation everywhere I thought water maybe coming from.
Still unsure as to whether it worked.... though, tomorrow I shall search for these drain hoses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Where exactly are these drain hoses located? I can't seem to find mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3qu3t
Where exactly are these drain hoses located? I can't seem to find mine.
Do you have a sunroof? I'm quite sure now, that thaey're in sunroof equipped cars.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

No sunroof.... What would cause my wet trunk?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
briansnoopy
briansnoopy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 SC2

my 01 SC2 did not have a sunroof, and i had this problem too. i would find water in the driver's side cubby hole on the side, under the carpet and everything. the best i could come up with was either the seal was not caulked properly or the little round rubber boot / valve-looking-thingy was letting it in. i never did figure it out.

2015 Honda Civic Si
2006 Ion3 2.4 Coupe 5-sp "Orion"
2001 SC2 "Sharky"
1997 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to briansnoopy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help briansnoopy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
briansnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Yeah could be the seal, and in extreme cases it is a bad ot broken weld in the trunk under the polymer. I haven't rules that out yet for mine, hopefully this week, i'll get to the bottomof it for sure, and hopefully that new truck seal cured mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
aquariumgirl
aquariumgirl is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_sc2man99
Before you go through and modify the seals and all that kibosh.. I may have a quick fix. Check on the sides of the car. (inside the trunk) On my sc2 there is a drain hose on each side and they were not connected to the body of the car. So the water was just draining into my trunk. I'm not sure if the drain hoses are only with cars with sunroofs but it pays to check it out if you have this problem. It fixed my problem and maybe could be the answer for yours..
is there an illustration somewhere or can you describe where I would find these drain hoses?

This sounds exactly like what's going on in my car (97 SC2). Sunroof equipped. I know there's a problem with the sunroof seals (a fix for another day), but I would love to see if this is what is causing the problem with my trunk leak.

When it rains my car's nickname becomes "ol swampy"

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aquariumgirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aquariumgirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aquariumgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

Ran into this with both my son's '94 SL2 and my '95 SW2. He had a problem with the car dying off every time he stepped on the brakes; turned out that the drivers side well where the ground is was full of water and corroded the ground junction bar. Cleaned up the ground and drained the water, but no idea where it is coming from. On my SW2, I drilled a hole and put a rubber drain from a VW Beetle headlight bucket to let the water drain out. Again, no idea where the water is coming from, but at least now it has someplace to drain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #11
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumgirl
is there an illustration somewhere or can you describe where I would find these drain hoses?

This sounds exactly like what's going on in my car (97 SC2). Sunroof equipped. I know there's a problem with the sunroof seals (a fix for another day), but I would love to see if this is what is causing the problem with my trunk leak.

When it rains my car's nickname becomes "ol swampy"

thanks
You need to drop the headliner to expose the frame of the sunroof module. There are probably instructions on here somewhere but, basically, unscrew the sun visors, take out the map light module (it has tabs on it...pull it out gently), remove the moulding around the tops of the doors and the cover for the top brake light above the rear window. You shouldn't need to take off the dome light. The headliner is held up with Velcro and you'll be able to feel those spots and pry it apart.

Once you drop the headliner, you'll see a hose nipple coming off each of the four corners of the sunroof frame. Inspect these to see if any of the hoses are not attached. There should be a black rubber drain hose from each one running down the roof frame. The front to go down the front A-frame in front of the doors where they drain out. The rears go down the rear A-frame along the trunk wells and drain out there.

If any of the hoses are not attached, water will drain out of the sunroof onto the headliner. Also, even if the hoses are attached to the nipples, take each one off and blow some compressed air through them. They occasionally get clogged and will back up when filled with water. A small air compressor or can of compressed air should work sufficiently.

Put all the cleared hoses back on. Some put a clamp or zip-tie on each to hold it on the nipple but this shouldn't be absolutely necessary.

Put the headliner and mouldings back in place and see how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #12
AltF4
AltF4 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
1999 SL1
Happy Re: Wet trunk anyone??

Actually, for the trunk drains of the sunroof, you don't need to pull out the headliner. I found mine (96 SC2) in the right and left trunk space. Just pull back the grey liner on the wheel well thingys and look for the black plastic cover. It looks like part of the body, but its just a rubber fitting. Pull (peel) it off. Then reach in and grab the 1/2 inch black rubber hose and the bottom of the hose will have a weird little slitted cap on the end. Pull off the cap, clean it out and put it back on. Then do it on the other side.
Woila! It's like a 10 minute job!

2000 sc1 blackberry
1999 sl1
1996 sc2 *sold*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AltF4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AltF4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AltF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
AltF4

2000 SC1
1999 SL1

Quote:
No sunroof.... What would cause my wet trunk?
After I cleaned my drains, my trunk still leaked on one side, and I found that the water running down the back edge was leaking into the trunk (the trunk is a little cockeyed by about 1/4"). I siliconed the plastic in the trunk rim where the skin meets the metal, so the water that leaks into the truck edge will run down the chute and into the space between the frame. So far, it works like a charm.

I suppose I should figure out how to adjust the trunk lid so it sits perfect, but that's a job for another day.

2000 sc1 blackberry
1999 sl1
1996 sc2 *sold*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AltF4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
SundancerSC2
my trunk still leaked on one side, and I found that the water running down the back edge was leaking into the trunk
Here are some pictures of my dilemma. Is this the problem you had?
Might I have to remove the body.panels to locate the source of the leak?

No Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
AltF4

2000 SC1
1999 SL1

Quote:

No Sunroof
Hmm, I didn't have to remove any panels. I just siliconed the gap between the skin and the metal on the trunk edge lip and then siliconed the inside corner of the trunk near where the rear light connector is. In the 1st pics attached, the brownish deposits are the rain chute where I siliconed the skin to the metal. The 3rd pic is the inside corner. It rains like crazy here and I actually found the leak path during a heavy rain.

My car looks filthy (ugh) becuz I have a mickey mouse plexi drivers' window til next week...and I can't take it thru the carwash, but the dirt trail on the trunk edge shows right where the water drains off the outside roof and was leaking into the gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drainage trail.jpg (88.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg siliconed.jpg (68.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg inside siliconed.jpg (74.9 KB, 60 views)

2000 sc1 blackberry
1999 sl1
1996 sc2 *sold*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

I have narrowed it down. The water is coming in from the rear-side windows, at the point where the side window meets the body panel. I have attached a picture.

Has any one seen this before? What's the fix? Are the body panels going to have to be removed? Or do the windows need re-sealing? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunkleaks1.jpg (49.7 KB, 63 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:

No Sunroof

On the first pic what is that dark black rubber looking square piece along the side? The one on my car is cracking and falling apart, Is that dark square piece important? The first pic is where I am always getting puddles of water when it rains.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #18
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

I am also quite unsure as to what that piece is... and its importance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!