SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
vaman4215
vaman4215 is on a distinguished road

Default Ignition lock cylinder rekeying

Am looking at getting a Saturn that was abandoned, do not have any keys to it at all, but car is unlocked. How hard is it to replace the ignition lock cylinder without having a key??? Would it be easier to change out entire steering column with one that has keys?? I know a locksmith can change the door locks easier than the ignition...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vaman4215's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vaman4215 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vaman4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 will become famous soon enoughjambra1 will become famous soon enough

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Ignition lock cylinder rekeying

No need to go through all that hassle. You can take the VIN to a Saturn dealer and have them cut a new key for you. However, you'll probably need some kind of proof of ownership (title, registration) in your name for them to do it. That's just a security measure to make sure you're not having a key made for someone else's car without authorization.

BTW, just what's the deal on this "abandoned" car? Is this a police impound or just sitting by the side of the road or what? Before I'd even breathe on that car, I'd make sure I knew something about it and had a possibility of getting a clear title. Otherwise, you're asking for potential trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
vaman4215
vaman4215 is on a distinguished road

The "story" on this car is that a person got evicted from the apartment and neglected to take the car with them, as such the management of the apt. complex had the car towed and it was put in storage. The owner wanted his saturn back but was unable to come up with the necessary $$ to pay the fees for towing and storage. So the towing company placed a lein on the car for the fees incurred...After 60 days I think it is, the towing company can legally sell the car. It's kinda like the police auctions they have for cars abandoned on the side of the road...Paperwork has already been filed with DMV to secure a new title according to the person at the towing company I spoke with...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vaman4215's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vaman4215 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vaman4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 will become famous soon enoughjambra1 will become famous soon enough

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

If it pans out, the towing company should have legal possession of it after the time period elapses or when this DMV paperwork clears. They should be the ones to get a key for the car since anyone buying it at auction will want to know if it runs or not. If you are seriously interested, talk to them about getting a key made. It's not all that expensive and I think they'd increase the auction price of the car by many times over the few bucks they'd spend for a key since prospective bidders can see the actual condition of the car while running.

IMO, you should not be the one to have to go get a key in this situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote