SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #41
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Newbie Guide!

I'd like a carbon fiber hood but the hood is actually pretty light and just wouldn't shave enogh weight to be worth it. I think the hood is made of aluminum. The hood on my Eclipse is heavy steel. A CF hood would be of more benefit to that than the Saturn. Besides, the $600 for the hood could buy a nice set of cams.

You can take out the spare and the jack for a 25-30 pound reduction FOR FREE!

Of course, Saturns handle and corner well to begin with. I have lowering spring (Eibach Pro Kit), aftermarket struts (KYB GR-2), lightweight wheels (Konig 15" Heliums), and wide sticky rubber (Kumho Ecsta 711 215/55-15). It'll take any corner. I had -1 degree of camber dialed in and the car feels like it's on rails in a hard corner.

Put on some basic bolt-ons like an intake, a header, and catback exhaust, and it's FUN. The 5-speed is recommended for maximum enjoyment. That's just my opinion, though.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #42
ToolSoldier10
ToolSoldier10 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Sorry all, the search function isn't helping me with this question:

I'm finding some info for a freind, anyone know the wheel hp of a stock SC1 and stock SC2? much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToolSoldier10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToolSoldier10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #43
ewalani
ewalani is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you so much for posting this. I have had a difficult time finding mods or anything for my Saturns to say the least. I want to "customize" my Saturn because it's not as common as the european or japanese cars with their body kits, turbochargers etc. For now, I would like to be a little unique in my choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ewalani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ewalani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2005, 05:42 PM   #44
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2
Default Re: Bump

In reference to the audio system suggestions, my 6.5" speakers only weigh 1.7 lbs each. I made sure of that. What weighs a lot is the sub. Amp only weighs 5 lbs. Sub weighs 37 in it's box. Head unit weighs 8 lbs. That's around 56.8 lbs. Which I compensated for by removing the passenger front seat, visors, headliner, and the "oh crap" handles above the doors. Works well for me. Good sound at lower than stock weight. Also chopped my a/c system out of the picture, and a few other goodies. But I was just saying, you can have a good system, and not compromise your power/weight ratios too bad.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #45
Blaze
Blaze is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

ok, as i am new here on this site as well as to saturns and a racer at heart, this thread was Extremely helpful, the only real thing that should be put in here now, its how to control that power you can make for you car IE being Brakes and suspension, but you know it was great!

Remember that the phoenix although firey, is cool and controlled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blaze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blaze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #46
A.D.
A.D. is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garland
Incidentally I'd REALLY appreciate any input, suggestions, comments flames so I can update this doc. I've gotten a few but I want to update them all in one shot.

Thanks again!
None of your 'links' for turbo's work.........not a damn one. I have been look9ing, and the only one I found is custom mad and costs more than the car did (in my case-$700 SC-1, $2500 turbo kit)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A.D.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A.D. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #47
Garland
Garland is on a distinguished road

I wrote this article like... 3 years ago?

Somehow it ended up being posted as a sticky a few months ago long after I'd forgotten about it. Search the board. You can find alot of links to whatever you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garland's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #48
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

gah! scdyne? 6th planet? twistek????? holy hell. talk about outdated advice. i realize the thread is old but noobs dont always realize.

no www.turbosaturns.net ??

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

Last edited by mars_volta; 10-13-2005 at 01:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars_volta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #49
Garland

I never wanted this thread to come back from the dead to be honest. But the will of the people overrides my authority I suppose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #50
StyLs2Nc
StyLs2Nc is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I found your guide to be extremley in formative, Thank you I just wanted to know though, Do you know of a site or someone who knows where i can get a Carbon Fiber Hood for my ion, I would really love to get one of those,. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StyLs2Nc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StyLs2Nc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #51
obd
obd is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

my 95 sc1 smoked a miata and a couple of civics and a taurus. This of course was completly legal sactioned racing.And thanks for the guide but I still cant find a body kit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to obd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help obd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #52
Garland

The 95 sc1 has a great body style. Don't change it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #53
obd
obd is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

yeah it does look kinda cool maybe just a spoiler, the paint is peeling of the stock one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to obd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help obd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:00 AM   #54
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

http://www.livejournal.com/users/you...ns/2005/10/29/

Might help too. Feel free to comment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #55
NorCalSL1
NorCalSL1 is on a distinguished road

Anyone have the basic kit from this place?

http://www.scdyne.com/supercharger.html

I'm kinda interested in it, not a bad price...

1991 SL2 1.9 ltr DOHC Auto. Magnaflow exhaust, K&N drop-in. Alpine/Image Dynamics Stereo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NorCalSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NorCalSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #56
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

www.sixthsphere.com

look for garfer03

better prices for centrifugal to roots kits

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:04 AM   #57
sickcallawayc12
sickcallawayc12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyLs2Nc
I found your guide to be extremley in formative, Thank you I just wanted to know though, Do you know of a site or someone who knows where i can get a Carbon Fiber Hood for my ion, I would really love to get one of those,. Thanks
www.saturnmotorsports.com

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT
all stock for now (nothin' wrong with that either)

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sickcallawayc12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #58
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garland
I never wanted this thread to come back from the dead to be honest. But the will of the people overrides my authority I suppose.
Maybe ask (Charlie?) if you can edit your original post as vBulletin supports this feature we just have that ability turned off after a few seconds here.

Even though it's three years old I learned a lot from reading it the other day so it didn't deserve to be buried.

Thanks

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #59
sickcallawayc12
sickcallawayc12 is on a distinguished road

this needs to stay. It is very informative and detailed. if EVERY newbie reads it, they will find what they're looking for, no need to post a thread and probably will be easier on the servers of this great site. Just update the links or someone list most of the links for saturn parts and other forums (someone's got them bookmarked, come on). A sticky with all the possible parts for looks and performance probably would be good for newbies too (or anyone too lazy to run a search).

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT
all stock for now (nothin' wrong with that either)

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sickcallawayc12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #60
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_sl-2
By the way, another cheap but GREAT alternative to buying an intake is go to you local parts dealer and Buy the APC cone filter (open end would be the best choice ) they're like $20 then go to the hardware store and get a peice of PVC piping ( I used the 2.5 in adapter fitting and bored it out w/ the dremel) take the factory air box and such out BUT LEAVE THE BLACK INTAKE TUBE. (that's the large peice of hose that connects to the Throttle Body).
Next, take you Air filter and connect it to the PVC using the hose clamp they gave you.
Finally attach the "assembly" to the factory hose. Vualah you have an intake. You'll notice the power difference right away and you get that *lovely* intake growl we all love
If indeed you do get the open end filter you can hook yourself up w/ cold air ram intake by investing in some aluminum heating duct hose while your getting your PVC. Attach the hose to the open end how ever you see fit then run the hose where ever you like ( I would suggest one of the "fog light opening" in the facia (grill). Obviously I don't have dyno figures but with nothing more than this set up and weight reduction (the radio and air conditioning where still in along with Driver airbag but the rear seats and door panels where taken out which equals out to be about the same) I ran a 15.71 w/ a .601 R/T (it was my first time racing at a track) I suggest giving it a try and see how you like it after all it's less than $30 for every thing.
Hey, I'm new here, and I have a couple questions:

Why buy a piece of PVC... Er, ABS plastic or aluminum... piping when you can just use the stock pipe that is sticking out of the air box(before the filter)? It fits pretty well and you get to keep the Air Temp Sensor... If that matters.

How did you secure said intake to the airbox mounts? Or did you just leave it free to wiggle around the engine compartment?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Monkius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Monkius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread