SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 03:28 PM   #21
wingnut
wingnut is on a distinguished road

Default loose strings

PVC pipe will release arsenic and clorine gas if it gets hot enough even though it doesn't look like it is melting. I'm currently working on one based on the DIY setup using aluminized steel tubing from JP Whitney. I'll let you know how it goes.

also... I have seen it several times now and "vuala" is really spelled VOILA. It is french and means "see there."

Ok. I'm done now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2002, 10:55 AM   #22
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Bump

This should stay on page one. Can you do that for us, Charlie?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #23
veritasconnor
veritasconnor is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Saturn Newbie Guide!

i just read the whole guide and as a new proud owner of a saturn, i must say thnx in a really big way! it definately provided me with some answers and idea's towards making my saturn a definate honda killer

thnx again for the info and help! -mike

R.I.P 98 sl2 (she was traded in and retired 05/25/2006)

my pearly white car...

118,000 miles (15,000 of which were mine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to veritasconnor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help veritasconnor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 PM   #24
Dimundave911
Dimundave911 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1998 SC1

Yay, this thread is three years old and counting.....

Dave

2002 SC2

"Did you ever Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dimundave911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dimundave911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #25
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Yeah but it has some good links in it that I never knew about. Plus Garland is still around so we're not bringing back a lost member's thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #26
Garland
Garland is on a distinguished road

It's still kind of embarrassing :P

Anyways, you can get the updated version at www.midpennmotorsports.com under the articles button. I rewrote it a year ago and put it on the site because I knew it was out of date. Looks like I cut out about half the content too and spliced it into other articles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garland's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #27
John97sc
John97sc is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1991 SC

Someone needs to update this, as some of the suppliers listed have closed up, such as XRC, which was formerly known as SRC performance. I am now producing short throw shifters for the S-series.

John D
97 SC2

You may need earplugs when riding in my car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John97sc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John97sc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #28
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
www.procarparts.com
A friend of mine found this, and ever since itís stayed a permanent bookmark. Not because itís notable quality. Rather because they have unique parts for Saturn, and theyíre CHEAP. I donít think Iíve found lower prices anywhere (including on ebay). Most of their parts go in without too much trouble (the gauge faces took some work, but when donít they). Most notable is their 30 dollar strut tower brace and 65 dollar intake. If you want to get started but donít have a lot of money, this is the place to start!
uh oh. they're selling parts for the: "2003 SATURN S SERIES (SC, SC1, SC2, SL, SL1, SL2, SW)"

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #29
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
uh oh. they're selling parts for the: "2003 SATURN S SERIES (SC, SC1, SC2, SL, SL1, SL2, SW)"
Don't they have them for the late 90's L-Series', too? I thought I remembered seeing that once.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #30
Garland

OMFG .. that's hilarious!
How many 2003 s-series in the hizzy?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #31
Phonespider
Phonespider is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_sl-2
...the fact is air bags are dangerous and unreliable. THEY DO WORK but only if you are a test dummy (ie. perfect driving position, height, weight, and distance from bag) you can get seriously hurt from airbags......Mazda Miata in you rear view!
This reminds me of the guy who won a darwin award for tring to demostright the "break proof" windows on the 40th floor by repeatedly running into them. Removing safty features and then driving recklessly is a great way to die.

As a high school driving instructor I see this attitude all too often. Let me give you some real facts (from AAA and based on real traffic collisions):

Accident survivibilty:
seatbelts alone (regular and aftermarket 'racing' ones)-> 30% more likely to survive
air bags alone -> 20%
seat belts and air bags -> 50%

Air bags are effective, it may brake your nose if you get hit when your hand is between the bag and your face when it goes off, but it will save your life. You need a proper driving postion. If you are too short from the waist up: a booster seat. If your legs are too short: petal extenders. Holding the wheel at 9&3 or 8&4 will help avoid air bag injuries too.

I love my Saturn, gets great gas milage, fun to drive, easy to repair, and cheap replacement parts. They are daily drivers not street racers. The reason why you get laughed at is because going to an autoparts store and asking for performace upgrades for your Saturn is like walking into Sears and asking if they carry jet engine mounts for your lawn tractor.

Before you flame me please try to look at this objectivly. Maybe you can get a good deal on a used Saturn on ebay. Then add a CAI, borred out TB, rebuild the engine, new headers, catback exhaust, new PCM, turbo/nitro/fairy magic +20hp chip, remove sterro, remove a/c, remove safty equipment, ect ect. Now you can beat a stock Miata, super-dooper.

Or you could have saved up for a few months more and gotten your own Miata (or tbird, camero, eclipse, z...) And you won't even need to make the car totally unsafe in order to race it! This is why the Saturn proformance market is so small, because serious racers don't drive Saturns. I love my Saturn but it's not a racing car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phonespider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phonespider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #32
Garland

The date on the post you responded to was may 8th, 2002!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #33
Phonespider
Phonespider is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1992 SL1

I know, but it's a well read thread and I'm afraid somebody is going to read it and think it's a good idea to remove the airbag.

If somebody wants to spend enough money to turn their Satty into a racer (or a pickup truck, or a cherry picker) more power to them. But if the only way left to you to improve the p/w ratio is to remove the airbags then you need a new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phonespider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phonespider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:30 AM   #34
virtueoftresx
virtueoftresx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Great Post... Most informed post I have read thus far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virtueoftresx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virtueoftresx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #35
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Haha... sweetness. This thread got itself a sticky! Good job Garland!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #36
model50s2
model50s2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

It's great to go fast, but at some point I'll need to stop. Are there any great brake modes out there? Bigger rotors? multi-piston calipers? What and where do I start when it comes to stopping.

Thanks for all the great help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to model50s2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help model50s2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #37
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Best bet: Standard size rotors that are slotted, high-quality pads, standard calipres. With a car as light as ours, stopping shouldn't be that big of a deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #38
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

What about handling?

Yes, our stock Saturns turn, stick, and brake well, but...

1) Tires - they've already been mentioned, but they have a profound impact on handling, fuel economy, road noise, etc. ; get an appropriate size and type for your driving needs (15's seem to work well for racing)

2) Wheels - get lightweight forged wheels to reduce unsprung weight, resulting in improved turning response and braking; ditto above regarding sizing

3) Front strut tower bar - Vibrant offers a cheap one, SPS is more expensive, and there are others; reduces bump steer

4) Rear sway bar - 16mm or 17mm (with reinforcements); reduces understeer

5) Springs - Eibach or H&R, real coilovers if you want to blow money

6) Shocks - KYB, Koni or see above

7) Bushings - get harder rubber or polyurethane (harsher ride); also, changing motor mounts won't make a lot of difference unless yours are old or you do a lot of drag racing

8) Exotic stuff - rear strut tower bar, adjustable suspension parts, Quaife differential, etc.

That's about it. You can buy handling parts that take your ride from mild (streetable) to extreme (track). It won't be too expensive to make your Saturn corner flat and tight... just add power and drop weight to create a "different" race car.

The Saturn platform is great for autocrossing, club racing, etc. but will have the inherent limits of a FWD, front-engine design.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #39
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

Regarding various other bits:

A good short shifter can reduce your shift throws and improve the stock looseness, but will usually be accompanied by increased shift effort.

The stock LUK clutch is generally good for up to 180 lb/ft, get an ACT for anything over that.

Some people claim that a lightened flywheel helps with low-end torque and throttle response.

Replacing the metal hood, roof, and trunk with carbon fiber parts could help you lose weight, but the cost is exhorbitant. I haven't heard of any places that make carbon fiber Saturn roofs or trunks, so they would need to be custom made.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #40
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Simply on the wheel deal (hehe), inching up isn't always a bad idea. 16's on my car are heavier, so straight-line performance might be hurt. However, I find handling to be a tad bit better, though it might be that they were 205/50's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread