SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
jc123
jc123 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default A/C not working and get low humming noise when turning on the heat.

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 L300 with about 78,000 miles. Just this week when I went to turn on the A/C for the first time this year, but noticed it was only blowing out warm air. So I made an appointment to get it looked at to see if there's a Freon leak somewhere. I also noticed that there is a definite humming sound coming from the front of the car when turning on the heat. I never noticed this hum before when turning on the heat/fan before. Any thoughts from anyone on what the hum might be?

JIM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jc123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jc123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: A/C not working and get low humming noise when turning on the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc123
Hi everyone. I have a 2001 L300 with about 78,000 miles. Just this week when I went to turn on the A/C for the first time this year, but noticed it was only blowing out warm air. So I made an appointment to get it looked at to see if there's a Freon leak somewhere. I also noticed that there is a definite humming sound coming from the front of the car when turning on the heat. I never noticed this hum before when turning on the heat/fan before. Any thoughts from anyone on what the hum might be?
What selection you have for the heat? If the selection is both the floor vent and the dash then the compressor kicks on. My AC died yesterday with no hum. Spoke to my mechanic who said when the compressor goes in many cases you hear noiese. He thinks mine my be a leak and the unit needs charging. The compressor will not kick in if the Freon is low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
jc123
jc123 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C not working and get low humming noise when turning on the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksLS1
What selection you have for the heat? If the selection is both the floor vent and the dash then the compressor kicks on. My AC died yesterday with no hum. Spoke to my mechanic who said when the compressor goes in many cases you hear noiese. He thinks mine my be a leak and the unit needs charging. The compressor will not kick in if the Freon is low.
RicksLS1,

Hmm.. I just tested turning on the heat with both the floor vent and the dash (windshield) vent and the humming DOES kick in. The humming is also occurring when the windshield only vent is on. However, when I switch the vents to the front vent and the floor the humming DOES NOT occur.. humming also doesn't kick in with the front vent only is selected..

If you think it's the compressor how much will it cost to fix? And would the compressor ever effect the heat?

Thx.

JIM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jc123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jc123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jc123 is offline   Reply With Quote