SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
orbit
orbit is on a distinguished road

Question Traction Control Active Light Always On

I just got my '94 SC2 back from the shop. They replaced the PCM with a reconditioned one. The auto transmission is now functional again, but the Traction Control Active Light on the dash is on continuously, even when the car isn't moving. It's normally off unless the wheels are slipping. The Traction Control push button switch indicator light is always off, even if the button is pushed. It's normally on by default. Also I didn't hear the normal ABS pinging sound after the vehicle starts moving. The service engine light has not come on since they replaced the PCM.

Does this mean the PCM was flashed incorrectly for my car's configuration? Or did they neglect to hook up the ABS speed sensors correctly? The ABS and traction control were all working fine before I took it in. The only problem was the transmission not shifting, which is now back to normal.

I'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow. I just thought it would help to have an idea what is the problem.

I am not a number!

Last edited by orbit; 04-11-2006 at 05:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orbit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orbit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
orbit is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Traction Control Active Light Always On

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit
I just got my '94 SC2 back from the shop. They replaced the PCM with a reconditioned one. The auto transmission is now functional again, but the Traction Control Active Light on the dash is on continuously, even when the car isn't moving. It's normally off unless the wheels are slipping. The Traction Control push button switch indicator light is always off, even if the button is pushed. It's normally on by default. Also I didn't hear the normal ABS pinging sound after the vehicle starts moving. The service engine light has not come on since they replaced the PCM.

Does this mean the PCM was flashed incorrectly for my car's configuration? Or did they neglect to hook up the ABS speed sensors correctly? The ABS and traction control were all working fine before I took it in. The only problem was the transmission not shifting, which is now back to normal.

I'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow. I just thought it would help to have an idea what is the problem.
The traction active light it probably on to let you know there is a problem. I expect it's a speed sensor (or multiple speed sensors). If this was the problem, however, I think you should also have the ABS light on (which you didn't mention).
Is the ABS light on (if not, does it come on when you turn the key)? How is the overall drivability of the car (does it drive like normal (except for the lights being on)?

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock
The traction active light it probably on to let you know there is a problem. I expect it's a speed sensor (or multiple speed sensors). If this was the problem, however, I think you should also have the ABS light on (which you didn't mention).
Is the ABS light on (if not, does it come on when you turn the key)? How is the overall drivability of the car (does it drive like normal (except for the lights being on)?
Just the TCA light stays on, not the ANTILOCK light. The ANTILOCK light does come on before cranking. The car drives and shifts normally, as far as I can tell just driving it a few miles. Again, there was no problem with the ABS or traction control before I took it in. Also the ABS doesn't make that ding/clicking noise after the car starts moving anymore.

I am not a number!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help orbit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Sounds like they gave you the wrong PCM or the ABS controller isn't plugged in.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
orbit

Actually, I was wrong about the ABS. I heard it initialize the last time I drove it. The Traction Control appears to be the only feature not working with the TCA indicator light staying on. If it's the PCM, can't they be flashed for different models or configurations?

I am not a number!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit
Actually, I was wrong about the ABS. I heard it initialize the last time I drove it. The Traction Control appears to be the only feature not working with the TCA indicator light staying on. If it's the PCM, can't they be flashed for different models or configurations?
Yes. You may want to take it back to the shop though.. and they should fix it for free.

Or pay a dealer to flash it

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Sounds like they gave you the wrong PCM or the ABS controller isn't plugged in.
The PCM is probably not programmed to work with traction control. You can have it reprogrammed but likely only by a Saturn dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1
The PCM is probably not programmed to work with traction control. You can have it reprogrammed but likely only by a Saturn dealer.
How can this be, if the ABS works?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
audettetractor
audettetractor is on a distinguished road

Idea Re: Traction Control Active Light Always On

I had the same problem. Harsh shift repaired with a harness splice at the top cover of the trans and one actuator.
This left me with a bum processor that the dealer said could be replaced to the tune of 595 dollars. I got another processor from the salvage yard $25 with the same service oem # BUT the vehicle did not have Traction control.
The dealer in question stated he could not reprogram the processer to "see" the traction control. So I took the car with everything functioning except the tracton active light remained on.
Two other dealers stated they could reprogram the PCM to get my traction control corrected.
I ended up getting another pcm($30) from the junkyard that had the identical part number but the donor vehicle HAD traction control.
THIS solved the problem and the traction control works as it is supposed to and the traction light is off!
The thing that is disturbing to me is 3 saturn dealers had conflicting opinions on whether the pcm can be programed with my particular options.
Beware and try to find a pcm that comes off a car that has your options EVEN IF THE OEM SEVICE NUMBER IS THE SAME!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to audettetractor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help audettetractor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
audettetractor is offline   Reply With Quote