SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default Exhaust resonator and MPG

I have been driving my 01 Saturn SC2 with a cracked exhaust resonator for about 3,000 miles now. I finally have saved enough money to get it fixed. I have an appointment this Friday $300 at Saturn. Anyway my car has been getting the best gas mileage that it's ever gotten in all of its 87,000 miles. For the last 6 fill ups Ive gotten 32MPG for all city driving. Could this cracked exhaust resonator be the reason for my terrific mileage? Another question is my car under the hood the plastic air intake(I don't know what this is called) right up on the front where it say"Saturn Power Module" is very loose. What is this piece and could this be causing some wierd lound droning noises coming from under my hood under hard acceleration?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
adhhaahok
adhhaahok is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2
Default Re: Exhaust resonator and MPG

the plastic thing in the front is the intake routing. this is where your car gets air from. dunno about the whole noise thing, though. as far as your resonator goes, i have never found a reason for one, its an emissions thing. you are probably getting better mileage because it is getting warmer outside.

if i were you, i would ask a certified emissions mechanic if you need the resonator on your car at all to pass emissions testing. if not, i would have them cut it off and weld in a piece of exhaust pipe. easier and cheaper. i doubt if it will have any bearing on emissions testing, but it is different in every state. some states dont even have emissions. i live in NC and emissions tests are ran on 1996 and newer cars. check it out and see what you can get away with. a little research is worth $300, to me at least. hope this helps!

If you baby your car, it will baby your wallet...If you abuse your car, it will abuse your wallet.

1993/1995 SC2. You decide. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2234915

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhhaahok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhhaahok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhhaahok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Threadjack???

I noticed my mileage has improved as the weather gets warmer. Today, I went to College Station and back. It was sunny and in the 80's. I topped off before leaving and right after coming back. I got 35.4mpg. Not too bad coinsidering there's some city driving mixed in and flooring it to pass slowpokes on a 2-lane highway.

Maybe one reason your mileage is up is because the cracked resonator may be helping reduce exhaust backpressure. That's why a car with a performance cat-back exhaust will gain power and rarely lose much, if any, fuel economy.

If that intake piece is the plastic jug thing that sits in the middle over the fan shroud, that's the intake resonator. It's supposed to quiet down intake noise and that could cause that droning under acceleration. Personally, I like the intake noise. It sounds so sweet with my AEM cold air intake.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

Last edited by 98greenSC2; 04-06-2006 at 12:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98greenSC2
Threadjack???

I noticed my mileage has improved as the weather gets warmer. Today, I went to College Station and back. It was sunny and in the 80's. I topped off before leaving and right after coming back. I got 35.4mpg. Not too bad coinsidering there's some city driving mixed in and flooring it to pass slowpokes on a 2-lane highway.
Brings back fond memories of HWY290 between Houston and College Station (partying with the Aggies were you?)

Reduced exhaust back pressure can result in better MPG, especially if your cat is getting clogged up. It may however just be due to a switch to "summer" gas. (Happens earlier in the south) The "loose" box is the resonator. It does not need to be "tight". It does not really "need" to be there at all. It just mellows the sound of the engine's air intake system.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
98greenSC2
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Brings back fond memories of HWY290 between Houston and College Station (partying with the Aggies were you?)
Nah, I was pawn shopping. I buy guitars and resell them on eBay for profit. That paid for half of the Saturn and all of the Eclipse! I also hit up Conroe on the way there so I never got on HWY 290. I took SH 105 to Navasota then up SH 6 to College Station. Two lane highways try my nerves. You can go only as fast as the slowest person (there WILL be someone). Throw in some hills and curves and there's nowhere to pass! At least some people move onto the shoulder to let people by. That must be a Texas thing. For the record, I set the cruise to 75 on SH 6 and, if I'm lucky, on SH 105.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

$300?

Wow, that's exspensive.

The entire 3inch exhaust for my GLH is less than that, I love a friend who can weld.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
98greenSC2
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

Yeah, my whole custom exhaust cost me less than $300 and that's including bending and installation. Just get an equivalent aftermarket resonator or delete it completely and go to a muffler shop. You'll save some $$$.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
slv01sc2

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I guess that I could just leave it the way it is right now. The car does sound a little louder than usual. Could the switch from winter to summer make that much of a difference?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
travman514
travman514 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

from what many people on this site says ,yes.

97 sc2 5speed MPG 30mpg @75-95 mph
97 mirage 1.5L 42MPG
95 neon auto 32mpg
93 ford ranger 2wd auto 18mpg

WHEN IN DOUBT....CHANGE YOUR ECTS!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travman514's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travman514 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travman514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
slv01sc2

Well I went to Midas and they gave me two options. The first is for $186 to install a new universal resonator. Will this work as well on my car as the genuine Saturn part from the dealer, or cause any complications? Option 2 would be to remove the resonator and run a straight pipe which would be even cheaper. How much louder would my car sound if I just ran the straight pipe? Would this do anything to my emissions or trigger a SES light? Please comment because I'm scheduled tomorrow morning at Saturn.

The people on this site are the best!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Just run a universal resonator.

Anything AFTER (except the o2 sensor)the catalytic convertor willl not affect emission or set SES light off.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote