SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2
Default Outlook VS Pacifica

Does anyone know the specs/features/etc on these and can accurately compare them for me?

I really love the pacifica, I used to rent a car very frequently and the pacifica is always the one I would get, I pretty much refused to rent anything else. I decided though that I wanted to stick with saturn so I would get the vue. Well I see the outlook and saw someone made a comparison to the pacifica. I was curious on how they really compared. If they honestly do then I will be holding off for the outlook.

Id appreciate it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agoldslsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Outlook VS Pacifica

Saturn.com go to the vehicle you want to compare then select "compare" and pick the model. I'm sure you could do the same at chrysler.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

From what I've heard the Pacifica is dead after this model run. I live in the city that produces them and that's he rumor around here. They will be re-tooling the plant for the next gen minivans which will include a VW van (it's an unusual partnership, but they're both German conpanies I guess) soon. There have been spypics of the new van posted on here and fromt he looks of things, the gap the Pacifica filled in Chrysler's lineup will be negligable. With the Aspen, and the new mini-van, the Pacifica will likely be left by the way-side. As for the Outlook, we don't know a whole lot about it yet, but it seems it would be a Pacifica competitor. It's a Cross-over SUV since it rides on a car-like archtecture, but looks like an SUV. It will have a 3rd row like Pacifica, and the trim of it will likely be more high end. I think Saturn should be the lower-end of the Saturn/GMC/Buick triplets. The high initial price of the Pacifica really hurt from the start. For some reason they decided to build only high-end models to begin with so there was a lot of sticker shock, and it became a joke around here that they were giving them away to loyal employees because they couldn't move them at first. (There was an aweful lot of them parked in the employee parking lot in front. ) When the lower priced/featured models came out the sales picked-up. I thought the Pacifica was really sharp looking when it first came out, but now Ithink it looks quite outdated. So if things go as they are rumored, and you're buying a new SUV in a couple of years, don't worry, the descision won't be hard, there won't be any Pacifica's, maybe.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor
Saturn.com go to the vehicle you want to compare then select "compare" and pick the model. I'm sure you could do the same at chrysler.com.
There won't be anything there for a long time to come. It hasn't even made a debut yet.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

WEll thanks, you just ruined my dreams LOL. I really really want a pacifica, I love them sooooooooooo much. I guess if the outlook looks good then I will be going with that. I dont like wagons but I dont like the boxy suvs, The pacifica is a bit big for my taste but its not too big.

Gerry, if the outlook was not an extreme of a concept as it is now then I would do that. However since it is still in the non production concept stages I have nothing on it. Thanks for letting me know about that though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Give it about a week, and then there'll be Outlook info and pics. It's coming out at the New York auto show.

The 3rd row in the Pacifica is definitely a kids-only deal. The 3rd row in the Ford Freestyle (similar type of crossover) is much more comfortable.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Cdp- I had my sister in the third row and a friend they said they didnt mind it, they are both over 18... I do like the freestyle but I love the look of the pacifica more.

WOOOOHOOO, dang I wish I could go to NY, I have two weeks vacation to use....I just dont think I want to drive up there just to see the outlook lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

Uzzy, I think you're wrong. I just read that the Pacifica will be getting a mid-life refresh either next model year or the year after, cant remember which. It may be phased out in 3-4 years, but not anytime in the near future. The new vans are coming out for '08 (I think?) and the Pacifica will continue on beyond their release. Also, it's a fairly new model, how can it look dated? Bland, maybe, but not dated.

cdp, have you sat in the 3rd row of a Pacifica? I'm almost 20 and I fit fine, with room to spare....and the Freestyle is kinda ugly, lol.

agoldslsaturn, I think the Outlook will be similar to the Pacifica, but probably a bit bigger. From what I've read, these new GM crossovers are HUGE. That's probably a plus for most though. My mom has an '05 Pacifica and loves it. If you really want one, get it. I dont think the Outlook is going to be as upscale/classy as the Pacifica. I see it as more of a Honda Pilot competitor than anything else.

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KrgION03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

The Pacifica's are built on the same assembly line as the Minivan's here at Windsor Assembly. Windsor builds all variations, and the other Chrysler mini-van plant (I forget where, Alabama maybe?) builds the short wheelbase only. The Plant here will be re-tooled for the next gen minivan, which is supposed to be a completely new platform, not just a freshening. As well there will be a VW variant. It's only a rumor, or assumed that it will be killed right now, but I don't see Chrysler only freshening it while revamping it's platform siblings, unless the platform is not as different as we've been led to believe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
KrgION03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
The Pacifica's are built on the same assembly line as the Minivan's here at Windsor Assembly. Windsor builds all variations, and the other Chrysler mini-van plant (I forget where, Alabama maybe?) builds the short wheelbase only. The Plant here will be re-tooled for the next gen minivan, which is supposed to be a completely new platform, not just a freshening. As well there will be a VW variant. It's only a rumor, or assumed that it will be killed right now, but I don't see Chrysler only freshening it while revamping it's platform siblings, unless the platform is not as different as we've been led to believe.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Pacifica does not share it's platform with the current minivans, so that would be irrelevant. It shares some componenents, but the Pacifica is on its own platform.

I know they're built in the same plant. I think I read that it's some special assembly line that enables them to build the Pacifica and the minivans together, even though they're on different platforms.

Kyle

Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrgION03
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Pacifica does not share it's platform with the current minivans, so that would be irrelevant. It shares some componenents, but the Pacifica is on its own platform.

I know they're built in the same plant. I think I read that it's some special assembly line that enables them to build the Pacifica and the minivans together, even though they're on different platforms.
I'll look into that. I was sure they were on the same platform. I know there was plenty of press on the flexibility of the line at W.A.P. Either way, word around the plant is it's dead, but nothing concrete about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 04-07-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
KrgION03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
I'll look into that. I was sure they were on the same platform. I know there was plenty of press on the flexibility of the line at W.A.P. Either way, word around the plant is it's dead, but nothing concrete about it.
Alright, just checked it out...

The 2001-2007 minivans ride on the "RS" platform.

The 2003-2007 Pacifica rides on the "CS" platform, which is unique to the Pacifica, but shares some components with the "RS" minivan platform.

It could be dead after '07, who knows. After owning one for about a year though, I think it's an excellent vehicle. I'd be sad to see it go.

Also, I gotta give credit to the people at that Windsor plant. Our Pacifica has flawless build quality.

Kyle

Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

The 2003-2007 Pacifica rides on the "CS" platform, which is unique to the Pacifica, but shares some components with the "RS" minivan platform.

It could be dead after '07, who knows. After owning one for about a year though, I think it's an excellent vehicle. I'd be sad to see it go.

Also, I gotta give credit to the people at that Windsor plant. Our Pacifica has flawless build quality.
Oh ok, well then it might survive to fight the Outlook. I always liked it but I think the styling is a little 'bulbus' I like the grille and whatnot, just the proprtioning of it could be sleeker.

I'l let them know. Must've been built on a Tuesday or Thursday before lunch (buncha drunks )

Last edited by Uzzy; 04-08-2006 at 12:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 04-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

The pacifica is nice, however if saturn will have somethingthat is going to be of comparable quality and looks then I am willing to look at it. I would love to stay with saturn because of this experience and they are great cars.

Hopefully the pacifica will still be in production so that I will be able to make a sound decision. I can say the pacifica handles great, and rides great. Gas mileage is not that bad. I had the one i usually got and it gt like 25mpg which is what my car gets sometimes..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
04AWDV6VUE
04AWDV6VUE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

From a noteable source, I have heard that the Pacifica isn't going anywhere. There are powertrain changes for the next generation.

'04 AWD V6 VUE - For Sale!
'00 SC2 (Former)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845871#post845871

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04AWDV6VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04AWDV6VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04AWDV6VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #16
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

The Outlook is about the size of a Trailblazer and its clones. It is longer from bumper to bumper than the 203-inch-long Relay. If anything, the Outlook would be better suited in comparisons to the Honda Pilot, whose dimensions should be similar, but does not offer a V8.

As far as Pacifica goes, it has a future and that future involves a new six cylinder engine that should also find its way to the redesigned DCX minivans. I do not dislike the Pacifica, but I think its most direct competitor is Toyota's Highlander, not GM's Lambda crossovers.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

If anyone is going to the ny show and can get pics of the outlook i would love them!

longer than the relay? I dont think thats what I want. Man I dont want to leave saturn...Ill just have to wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #18
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

I think what we'll see in the future is current midsize full unibody SUVs like the Highlander, Pilot, and Murano becoming longer and lower, making them crossovers like the Lambdas, Freestyle, and Pacifica.

agoldslsaturn...The Outlook is going to be a debut at NYIAS, so there'll be press photos before any regular people get there.

Yes, I have sat in the 3rd row of the Pacifica, twice. Comfort and leg space are not the problem; there is not enough headroom in it. I'm about 5'8", 5'9", and my head touches the top edge of the roof. The Freestyle is more comfortable, and safer (has adjustable headrests).

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #19
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Those press photos better be online pretty dang soon! Im getting anxious about it.

You really found that you had no headroom? I think my sis is same height as you and my brother is definitely taller, he found the backseat fine. If I go with the pacifica over the outlook I want 2 bucket 2 bucket and the back as the folding bench.

I actually looked at the fx 45 (muranos luxury sister) because I really liked the look of it. Then I saw the pacifica and well it was more in my price range and seemed to fit me better. Im still not above the inifiniti but it is out of my price range at the current moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #20
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:

It also shares parts with the defunct LH cars and it got a few things from the Mercedes parts bin.

Its due for a refreshing next year and a redesign in 2008. At least that's what I've read in 2 or 3 different future vehicle articles in various car magazines and industry websites, like Automotive News, Motor Trend and Car & Driver.

I think it'll be around for awhile. Its not a minivan, which a lot of people wouldn't be caught dead in, and its not an SUV, which is starting to become almost as stigmatized as a minivan.

Personally, I want one as a second car, a hauler to supplement a regular sedan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote