SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Jetfixer10
Jetfixer10 is on a distinguished road

Attention 98 sl2 - turn signals not working / hazards working normal

I have a 98 Saturn sl2. All 4 turn signals aren't working. Both turn signal indicator lights in the instrument panel don't work as well.

I checked all 4 turn signal light bulbs and they were good. All fuses in the engine compartment were also good. When the hazard switch is pressed all 4 turn signal bulbs flash and both turn signal indicator lights in the instrument panel flash.

If the hazards work and the turn signals don't, could the combination flasher unit (relay) be bad? Also could it be a bad turn signal stalk switch? Another thing I noticed was the the hazard switch sticks and is hard to turn on and off.

Thanks for the help everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jetfixer10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jetfixer10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jetfixer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 98 sl2 - turn signals not working / hazards working normal

I'd start with the flasher module. Is the 98 a 3 or 4 pin module? I may have to check my 98 FSM's when I get home.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Don't be baffled that the hazards work and the turn signals don't. They are completly different circuits. Start with checking the turn signal flasher unit.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Jetfixer10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
I'd start with the flasher module. Is the 98 a 3 or 4 pin module? I may have to check my 98 FSM's when I get home.
Mike, The 98 has a 3 pin combination flasher unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jetfixer10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Jetfixer10

I just installed a new combination flasher unit. The turn signals still don't operate. The flasher I changed was located behind a panel inboard of the driver floor pan area. Basically below the center console/shifter. I believe the flasher controls both the hazard lights and the turn signals. What next?

Thanks for the help everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I'd double check the two fuses. IGN4 30amp maxi fuse in the underhood fuse box or the 7.5amp mini fuse in the interior fuse box.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
or the 7.5amp mini fuse in the interior fuse box.
Bet he missed that one....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
Jetfixer10

Mike,

I found the interior fuse panel and sure enough there was a blow 10amp mini fuse marked turn sgnl. Changed the fuse and everything works fine. In the trunk I found 2 bare turn signal wires which had been cut and then twisted together with no insulation. I'm sure one of them had just shorted out. My friend just got the car loaned to her 2 days ago. It was my first time working on a Saturn so I didn't know about the fuse panel on the passenger side of the center console. Also the fact that the glove box was missing the owners manual didn't help matters either.

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Cool. At least it was something simple.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!