SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
mrbios
mrbios is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pictures

Updated: 03-21-2006
Make: Saturn SW2
Model: SW2
Year: 1997
Body Style: Station Wagon
Miles: 111,000
Location: Southern California (6 years), previously Northeast “rust belt” for 3 years.

Photos:
http://www.wecandobetter.com/images/...humbnails.html

Repair: Maintenance, How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pictures
================================================== ========

Benefits:
Less noise and smoother locking unlocking, longer life on power door locks which wear out as locks get more difficult to move.

Torx screws will be lubed so then won’t rust and seize. If that happens the door is much more time consuming to remove.

Remember, the door needs to be removed: 1.) if a side window breaks, lock is damaged or needs repair, rear door inner metal

panel rusts or rots away; fun, you want to install new or replace broken stereo speakers in the doors.

How to proceed: Assuming the car is 3 years or older and maybe rusty.

NOTES:
On Saturn, unlike most cars, you access the door "guts" power lock motors, lever, windows, etc from the outside by removing

the plastic outer door panels.
Preparation:
purchase 5 or more clips and several push button door handle push-pins from Saturn Dealer and have a drill and bits ready to drill

out a rusted bolt. Cordless drill, White Lithium grease Spray ($3 most auto stores) . Torx T-30 & T-?? bits (I bought a whole set

for $12). Needle nose pliers ($3). Razor cutter or Mat knife (safer). Safety glasses - the pressure of the lithium spray can cause it

to splash back in your eyes! It happened to me but I had my safety glasses on.

Working on one door at a time.

1. Loosen with a hand tool / break the large main bolts free Torx bit size T-30. Why do any other step until you determine that

your Torx bolts aren’t so badly rusted that you need to replace the clips they screw into?

2. Finish removal with cordless drill. This saves a lot of time as you will screw and unscrew almost 30 bolts. Place Torx bit in drill

chuck. Remove all Torx bolts. You don’t need to unscrew any interior screws near the handles, etc.

3. Remove the handle as follows: Lift up handle and stick a pry bar or screwdriver etc to keep handle up. Look to right mount

point and split the plastic push button pin. Pull out center piece with pliers and entire pin will pull out easily. The system works

like a dry-wall screw & plastic anchor.

4. Slide handle to Left about 1/2 inch. If it won't move hit it gently.

5. Lift door panel from bottom upward but don't try to remove yet.

6. Grab rubber strip at the base of the window and lift up / back when things are right it will lift straight off then remove the outer

plastic door panel.

7. Optional - front doors - you could remove the mirrors - I didn’t and save some time.

8. Remove the plastic panels bu lifting from the bottom and working top off . The two pins tend to hang on like a hinge.

9. Pull plastic with one hand and cut the old glue with razor cutter. Remove the top 1/2 of the plastic.

10. LUBE: Now spray Lithium Grease on everything the moves. Move the door lock back and forth and spray, lift what's left of

handle manually, roll window, etc. Spray Lock tumbler, door hinges top, bottom inside, out, etc. Spray all threaded holes with

grease etc. This will speed up reassembly.

11. Reassembly: Spray adhesive spray on plastic - follow the old glue as a guide. Spay on metal but keep can spray nozzle no

more than 1 inch off surface so it doesn't spread. Make sure all screw holes etc line up so black plastic won't interfere with outer

door skin. DON'T SEAL ENTIRE BOTTOM EDGE! Water must be able to drain out when it goes between the window and

rubber strip.

12. Place top of door on first - use the plastic that sticks out towards the top front of door as a guide. Keep door pressed in tight

and lift up from bottom. Place a large Torx bolt in the whole closest to the door lock and screw in. Now place on in the opposite

side. Open and shut the door throughout reassembly to make sure things are lined-up correctly.

13. Put rubber strip on and tap gently down to seat.

14. place black plastic vertical piece on. Turn power to lowest setting on cordless drill. You should be able to hold the drill

chuck from moving with your hand. Now install all Torx screws and tighten up. Test door opens and shuts correctly.

15. Done. Optional, you might want to spray degreaser on the overspray, if any, from the lithium grease, and use glass cleaner on

windows to clean off finger prints.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrbios's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrbios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pict

Hey, ask Charlie to move this to the How-To section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
mrbios

1997 SW2
Default Re: How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pictures

thanks, I did'nt know about the How-To section. I actually have a slightly improved version below:

Thanks to this forum I didn't know to get the handles off and when I did I thought why not photo and type

------------------------------------------------------------

Updated: 03-21-2006,

Admin Please make sticky, feel free to use the pictures and this text as you wish for the forum. It may be reworded and updated and or corrected this way there wont need to be tons of replys of corrections.

Posted: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73445
Miles: 111,000
Location: Southern California (6 years), previously Northeast “rust belt” for 3 years.
Photos:
http://www.wecandobetter.com/images/...humbnails.html
Repair: Maintenance, How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pictures
Benefits:
Less noise and smoother locking unlocking, longer life on power door locks which wear out as locks get more difficult to move. Torx screws will be lubed so then won’t rust and seize. If that happens the door is much more time consuming to remove. Remember, the door needs to be removed: 1.) if a side window breaks, lock is damaged or needs repair, rear door inner metal panel rusts or rots away; fun, you want to install new or replace broken stereo speakers in the doors.
How to proceed:
On Saturn, unlike most cars, you access the door "guts" power lock motors, lever, windows, etc from the outside by removing the plastic outer door panels.
Preparation:
purchase 5 or more clips and several push button door handle push-pins from Saturn Dealer and have a drill and bits ready to drill out a rusted bolt. Cordless drill, White Lithium grease Spray ($3 most auto stores) . Torx T-30 & T-15 bits (I bought a whole set for $12). Needle nose pliers ($3). Razor cutter or Mat knife (safer). Safety glasses - the pressure of the lithium spray can cause it to splash back in your eyes! It happened to me but I had my safety glasses on.

Working on one door at a time.
1. Loosen with a hand tool / break the large main bolts free Torx bit size T-30 and the two smaller ones on the upper gloss black plastic piece T-15. Why do any other step until you determine that your Torx bolts aren’t so badly rusted that you need to replace the clips they screw into?

2. Finish removal with cordless drill. This saves a lot of time as you will screw and unscrew almost 30 bolts. Place Torx bit in drill chuck. Remove all Torx bolts. You don’t need to unscrew any interior screws near the handles, etc.

3. Remove the handle as follows: Lift up handle and stick a pry bar or screwdriver etc to keep handle up. Look to right mount point and split the plastic push button pin. Pull out center piece with pliers and entire pin will pull out easily. The system works like a dry-wall screw & plastic anchor.

4. Slide handle to Left about 1/2 inch. If it won't move hit it gently.

5. Lift door panel from bottom upward but don't try to remove yet.

6. Grab rubber strip at the base of the window and lift up / back when things are right it will lift straight off then remove the outer plastic door panel.

7. Optional - front doors - you could remove the mirrors - I didn’t and save some time.

8. Remove the plastic panels bu lifting from the bottom and working top off . The two pins tend to hang on like a hinge.

9. Pull plastic with one hand and cut the old glue with razor cutter. Remove the top 1/2 of the plastic.

10. LUBE: Now spray Lithium Grease on everything the moves. Move the door lock back and forth and spray, lift what's left of handle manually, roll window, etc. Spray Lock tumbler, door hinges top, bottom inside, out, etc. Spray all threaded holes with grease etc. This will speed up reassembly.

11. Reassembly: Spray adhesive spray on plastic - follow the old glue as a guide. Spay on metal but keep can spray nozzle no more than 1 inch off surface so it doesn't spread. Make sure all screw holes etc line up so black plastic won't interfere with outer door skin. DON'T SEAL ENTIRE BOTTOM EDGE! Water must be able to drain out when it goes between the window and rubber strip.

12. Place top of door on first - use the plastic that sticks out towards the top front of door as a guide. Keep door pressed in tight and lift up from bottom. Place a large Torx bolt in the whole closest to the door lock and screw in. Now place on in the opposite side. Open and shut the door throughout reassembly to make sure things are lined-up correctly.

13. Put rubber strip on and tap gently down to seat.

14. place black plastic vertical piece on. Turn power to lowest setting on cordless drill. You should be able to hold the drill chuck from moving with your hand. Now install all Torx screws and tighten up. Test door opens and shuts correctly.

15. Done. Optional, you might want to spray degreaser on the overspray, if any, from the lithium grease, and use glass cleaner on windows to clean off finger prints.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mrbios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Katie
Katie is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pictures

On the 93 (esp if its old), the strip above the plastic panel that you so easily removed on your car requires a pretty good pry from a flat screw driver to remove. Word of caution. Don't pry against the plastic body panel as you will scratch it badly (Don't look at it wrong either...it will scratch too . Place a peice of leather or a thick piece of cardboard under the screw driver before prying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Katie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Katie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
mrbios

1997 SW2

Katie,

That's a good tip. A few of mine were kind of difficult to move so I slid them back and forth then lifted. I sprayed them with silcone (the magic spray for plastic and rubber parts).

A former roommate has a 1993 and 3 yrs ago it had 180K on it and the car was losing tons of anti-freeze. He had the head gasket replaced. When I saw him a few months ago he was still driving the car and now it has about 210K on it!

Have you had to replace the alternator? He had to replace his ever 2 or 3 yrs.

Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
proton777
proton777 is on a distinguished road

This is great. Very helpful, thanks. I have been trying to remove the outer driver door panel to see why my power window (93 SC-2) makes an awful noise as it gets to the bottom when opening.

So, two questions. On item #2, do you have any suggestions on getting to the Torx bolt that is at the bottom right corner of the door? It's the one under the hinge. I've tried everything to get that thing out without success. Now it is in pretty bad shape.

On item #3 about the pins that hold the handle in. When you say to "split the plastic push button", are you actually breaking them? They must be broken in order to be removed, and, thus, replaced?

Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proton777's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proton777 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Re: How To Remove Outter Door Panels & Lube locks etc - Step by Step 1997 SW2 w/ pict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton777
So, two questions. On item #2, do you have any suggestions on getting to the Torx bolt that is at the bottom right corner of the door? It's the one under the hinge. I've tried everything to get that thing out without success. Now it is in pretty bad shape.
Yea that one is a PAIN. I believe i used a ratchet and a socket torx bit and squeezed in there. You could probably try a "universal joint" and an extention.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
mrbios

1997 SW2

First, a common complaint of power windows is that they break when they get old. Manual windows, like my car, get harder every year to roll down. As cars age this is common and because you can't "feel" the problem with power windows / locks it cause the motor to burn out. Someone has suggested that the rubber in the windows tracks hardens over time making it harder for the glass to slide.

Second: removing the torx. This is touchon the saturn. If the head is damaged I recommend:

1. buy a hand impact tool:
"Ampro Impact Driver Set" Part Number: T71566 $19 at Kragen or same basic thing at Sears.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=T71566

This tool works by striking it with a hammer, it can take sockets or screw tips on the end including a torx socket. The harder you hit it the more force it twists with - up to 200 foot pounds! The saturn poses a special problem because it the torx goes into a metal clip that clips to plastic. You might break yours. Mine was broken by a so called professional window installer. The door still stays in place and you could rig up something with metal pipe hanger strap - home depot. It it is a metric bolt and stripped badly buy the closes torx bit in SAE "american size" - I did this on my bmw when I stipped an allen bolt - work like a charm. You can alos drill the center of the bolt then grab the head with pliers. Always, use torx bits that go on a socket set don't try to do it with a scrw driver style. Check Harbor Frieght if you need cheap tools.

Third, > "Item#3 ... split the plastic push button", No I don't mean literly split but rather separate the parts. The "Head" is so think that you almost need a razor to seperate if from the the lower part of this two piece plastic pin assembly. See the first picture on my site:

http://www.wecandobetter.com/images/...dlePushPin.jpg

I found it was best to "grab" the top piece with a thin nosed pliers, not needle nose which is too sharp, and pull down to take that inner pint out. These plastic pins can be reused but are probably designed for only one use. This job takes time so bring a small box or stool to sit on and a piece of carpet to set tools on and a tray to put the parts in. Good luck. Also, price parts and availablity in advance at the dealer. So when you find worn out parts you can just replace them and do the job right. My car had no noises or problems it was just a general preventative maintence. When I take something apart I check things out and and look for potential problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton777
This is great. Very helpful, thanks. I have been trying to remove the outer driver door panel to see why my power window (93 SC-2) makes an awful noise as it gets to the bottom when opening.

On item #3 about the pins that hold the handle in. When you say to "split the plastic push button", are you actually breaking them? They must be broken in order to be removed, and, thus, replaced?

Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
mrbios

1997 SW2
Default UpdaHow To Remove Inner Door Panel - Step by Step 1996 and newer SW2 SL2 SL1

Updated: 06-02-2009
Miles: 132,000

I just replaced the two front factory upgraded speakers with Rockford-Fosgate P1653 6.5" round speakers.

Don't try to remove the inner door panel without reviewing this excellent youtube video by Richpin:

Saturn SW1 SW2 SL1 SL2 1996 and Newer front passenger side door panel removal

Removing the inner door took about 12 minutes. I was able to replace the factory speaker in an average of about 1.5 hours per speaker in the front. The video does not show reassembly - the most trick part for me was reinstalling the two hooks that open and lock the door. I pushed the metal rod throught and used a screw driver to rotate the plastic holder until it locked on the rod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
wjr
wjr is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Thanks for all of your input- it was all very helpful. I second the need for the clips and the push pins for the locks- get them ahead of time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
mrbios

1997 SW2

Your're welcome and thanks for the positive feedback.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr View Post
Thanks for all of your input- it was all very helpful. I second the need for the clips and the push pins for the locks- get them ahead of time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
MariaLittle
MariaLittle is on a distinguished road

Oh Wow! I never knew they fenced in pool areas and locked them. Do they do this at all the value hotels? The most I've ever had was a wrist band at Stormalong Bay and had to present my room card to get that.

[url=http://www.smyrna-locksmith.com]Smyrna locksmiths[/url]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MariaLittle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MariaLittle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MariaLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
loubell
loubell is on a distinguished road

pic link dead

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loubell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loubell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
mrbios

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubell View Post
pic link dead
I just fixed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!