SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 10:51 PM   #1
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Alarm/Door Switch/Dome Light Problems

OK, this problem has been discussed before, but no solution was ever reached.

Today my car started acting strange. While driving down the road, the dome light (set to "door") would flicker. We opened and shut every door, and a few minutes later it did it again. I came out of a store, and my dome light was on, and hitting the unlock button caused the horn to honk three times (what does that mean?). I came out of Wal-Mart later to find my alarm going off. I got home, and my alarm went off twice within an hour.

I turned off the dome light and locked the doors using the door lock button (I assume this will not arm the alarm).

I wiggled every door switch. Didn't help. Alarm still went off.

Any solutions? I'm kinda discouraged since I bought this car three weeks ago ('97 SL2) and just got a new fuel pump put on yesterday at the retailer.

Thanks for all the help!

-Spencer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2002, 04:14 AM   #2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Since the dome light and alarm are set off by open doors, it sounds like you have one or more bad door pin switches. I'd start by inspecting the rubber boots over the switches to see if any have cracked, exposing the switch to the elements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

The only variable out of ordinary was getting my fuel pump replaced on Friday and getting a car wash yesterday. Maybe the high pressure wash shot water into a switch?

The dome light has the delay off, so it's very hard to wiggle a door pin switch to see if it's failing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Like Heartbeat said one or more of your door switches is bad. The most likely one is the drivers door (gets used the most) then the passenger door. The horn beeping three times indicates that the security system is not setting due to an open door or trunk. Try the wiggle test on the switches with the engine running or the key in the run position, this should eliminate the delay feature. Worst comes to worst you'll have to pull out the switches to do a visual inspection on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:18 PM   #5
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like it's demon possessed--I'll help perform the exorcism!

Matt:o:

If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:37 PM   #6
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by ssicarman
The horn beeping three times indicates that the security system is not setting due to an open door or trunk.
It beeped three times when I returned to my car and pressed unlock. I had successfully armed it when I went into the store. I assumed that it mean that the alarm went off in my absence.

How do I remove the door switches? Do they just rotate off?

I don't like this problem in that is is intermittent. I don't want the alarm to be going off all night, waking the neighbors. I don't want to leave the car unarmed, since I have an aftermarket CD player that theives may want. It was cheap, but still a possibility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2002, 03:08 PM   #7
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

well if you unlock the car with the remote and it beeps 3 times, that's a sign that the alarm went off since it's been armed. A least that's mine, but I don't know if the changed them at all in the 2000 refresh, I doubt they did though.

If I were you, i'd go to the dealer and to see what's wrong, until then, you might have to lock it with your key from now on (not arming the alarm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swizelman45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swizelman45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:29 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

I'm excited, because I think I've found the problem. Since it's intermittent, I have to wait until it surfaces. Today I didn't have any problems, so I thought I was in the clear, but at the last minute decided not to arm the alarm tonight. Good thing, because I would have woken the neighbors (my carport is 20 feet from the next door neighbor's bedroom window).

Just before heading for bed, I peered out the window to find my dome light on! Yeah! I turn the car on, and first tried the driver's door switch. Nothing. Next was the passenger's door. As I opened the door, the light (which has not gone off yet) flickered. I pressed the switch a few times, and it began to work fine.

My problem does seem to be the passenger's door switch. Now, how do I fix it? I can't seem to figure out how to remove the switch (I didn't try real hard, though). Tomorrow I'll call the Saturn retailer that I just visited on Friday to check on the part price. I hope they can mail it to me; I'm an hour away. And I hope it's cheap.

Oh, and I did turn the dome light off to prevent a dead battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2002, 11:17 AM   #9
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Update:

I talked to my retailer, and the part (door jam switch) costs $5.36. I talked to a tech about how to replace the switch. It has a plastic retaining clip on either side. I'll probably just destroy the switch that's installed now since it's bad anyway. Once I get the part I can also see exactly how it's made (they are shipping it to me).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

The easiest way to get the switch out is to use a small (1/4 wide) flat blade screw driver to pry the switch up and out of the hole. Once out just disconnect it and plug the new one in and push it into place to reinstsall. Don't loose the connecter into the door or you'll be doing some disassembly to retrieve it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread