SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #41
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Why are people butt backwards when it comes to Oil Changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
so no, I don't see any evidence to support that modern oils are any better than they were 25 years ago as far as allowing a motor to last any longer than they have in the past.

but I do agree with following the manufacturers guidelines.
And what of all the coked up rings in hot motors of many a SAturn, in these fine forums , and the talk of synthetic oils not sludging up the works anymore?...

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #42
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
that's an interesting question, as it actually relates significantly to the CR study.
if all these fancy oils made any difference, shouldn't we be seeing a large percent of cars with a half million miles or more on them?
The highlighted question is really a canard. The great majority of car owners do not keep their cars long enough to find out if they'll last up to 500K miles. I understand your argument and you may be correct, but this question does nothing to strengthen it. I'm hoping to get my car over the 300K mark and I take care of it as well as I can so that that may become a reality. I think it unlikely that I will own my LS1 long enough to see 500K miles on the odometer. At this pace it will take at least another sixteen years before that happens!

When it comes to clean oil I've discovered something recently. Since acquiring an '04 Acura MDX for my wife I've found that the OE brand filter is exceptionally good. I've never seen cleaner oil prior to an oil change like I've seen it on that vehicle for a year now. I wish I could get a filter as good as theirs to fit my car! The oil type used is a synthetic blend.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #43
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
The you're not looking hard enough, or did you miss my post on my 25,000 mi OCI in this thread?
I don't see where you've mentioned that in this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #44
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
The highlighted question is really a canard. The great majority of car owners do not keep their cars long enough to find out if they'll last up to 500K miles. I understand your argument and you may be correct, but this question does nothing to strengthen it. I'm hoping to get my car over the 300K mark and I take care of it as well as I can so that that may become a reality. I think it unlikely that I will own my LS1 long enough to see 500K miles on the odometer. At this pace it will take at least another sixteen years before that happens!

When it comes to clean oil I've discovered something recently. Since acquiring an '04 Acura MDX for my wife I've found that the OE brand filter is exceptionally good. I've never seen cleaner oil prior to an oil change like I've seen it on that vehicle for a year now. I wish I could get a filter as good as theirs to fit my car! The oil type used is a synthetic blend.
maybe so, but on the other hand traditional oils are good enough to get a car to a couple hundred thousand with no trouble.
it's kind of like "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound". only instead, it's if no one drives the car long enough, does it really matter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #45
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
maybe so, but on the other hand traditional oils are good enough to get a car to a couple hundred thousand with no trouble.
it's kind of like "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound". only instead, it's if no one drives the car long enough, does it really matter?
I'm not sure which part of my statement from post #42 that this is a responce to. Would you clarify that for me, please?

I think it's useful to have some historical perspective on this issue overall. My father was a master mechanic for Union 76 when there were service stations with active repair bays and vehicle hoists. He's really amazed at the improvements in modern engines which allow them to go over 200K miles. Why? Because he recalls a time, some fifty to seventy years ago, when it was considered a big deal when an engine had gone 100K miles without needing a valve job. This was at a time when engines were all cast iron and aluminum wasn't yet even available under the hood.

Apart from improvements in oil, and there have ben many formulation improvements since the mid-20th century, other factors have had a positive impact on the longevity of an engine's service life. There have been ongoing improvements in the metals used in building engines and their internal components. Next, a major improvement in the cooling systems has reduced engine wear. We all know that excessive heat is a major reason for premature engine failure. (The cooling system on my LS1 is excellent! GM and Saturn developed a winner there.) Lastly, many more motorists are taking better care of their vehicles in general. This has been especially true of foreign car owners for the last forty plus years. Their dealerships had tended to be more owner friendly and did a better job of convincing their customers of the need to follow scheduled maintenance. I saw this for myself while working for dealerhsips and at independent auto parts businesses.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #46
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
The you're not looking hard enough, or did you miss my post on my 25,000 mi OCI in this thread?
Quote:
I don't see where you've mentioned that in this thread.
Look at post #31, it's there for all to see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #47
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

I put full synthetic oil in everything. For the cars, that's historically been Rotella T6 5W-40 (European cars and Saturns). Everything else has gotten either Mobil1 0W-30 or Mobil1 0W-40. That includes my Deere tractor, Generac 17.5KW generator, power washer, etc.

The cars get oil/filter changes every 7500 miles, tractor/generator every 50 hours, and other stuff is once a year.

I gave the last Saturn I owned (and likely will ever own) to my mother when she needed an extra car to knock around in. It's a 97 SC2 with about 100k miles on it now and doesn't use ANY oil. I always fed it Rotella T6 and used cheap Fram Toughguard filters (one step up from the orange can of death).

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #48
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Amsoil has made leaps and bounds with there line up offering 25k oil changes, and at $10.70 a qt you really can't go wrong. There is a reason why truck driver switch to it (although god awful pricy for the equipment and initial startup cost) because it's much easier change oil filters then oil, they'll keep running the same oil till it hits 100k miles before possibly thinking about changing it because that is how long it last.

The guy who originally owned my car before hand (the first owner) is a CAT mechanic/engineer and even he told me amsoil (pretty much anything full synthetic) is the way to go for these LL0 engines. Oldnuc also mentioned heat issues, 275+f in oil pan after a short hard accel for 15min.+ before cooling down, with the oil in these motors (namely DOHC) which is why the pistons gum up with conventional oil and start burning it.

Take it for what it is, but changing the oil every 3k miles is more costly then $12 a qt oil every 10k miles (unless you are buying very very cheap oil) even more so with today's oil every 15k miles or more (depending on brand).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #49
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
at $10.70 a qt
That's retail pricing.

ANyone that buys oil/other car care products, for a vehicle or two, can knock off about 50% of that price by becoming a preferred customer ( or better) .

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #50
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
That's retail pricing.

ANyone that buys oil/other car care products, for a vehicle or two, can knock off about 50% of that price by becoming a preferred customer ( or better) .
Retail is actually $12.xx... oh wow Amsoil lowered their prices again , now its $11.10 a qt from them, i got mine from a dealer that buys it in bulk, they resell it at $10.70. I would like to be preferred customer but i don't buy near enough, what i have in car now will last 3 years before 20k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #51
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
The problem is that's is extrememly difficult to prove "better" oil is actually, better.

I know this is an old thread, but you can prove one oil is better than other.

Here's my blackstone oil analysis on my 345xxx Volvo. I now have 388xxx on the same engine. I use AMSoil OE.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote