SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
Default Why are people butt backwards when it comes to Oil Changes?

I know alot of people that always have to buy brand name over generic when it comes to anything that they put into their mouths. They buy the most healthy, the less fattening, the leaner meat, the better brand name cereal, and soda pop.
Well for something that gets more of a beating on a daily basis (our vehicles). Why do people nickel and dime their oil changes? I see people lining up in herds to get their oil changed by places that use the crappiest oil.
The average life expectancy for a vehicle is about 10 years, sometimes less. You would think that since oil changes have to be done at least 4 times a year, people would try to use the best oil that they can get in their vehicles.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Why are people butt backwards when it comes to Oil Changes?

Well, most people only keep a car a few years nowadays. They don't care if the care is going to make it to 100K miles.

Plus, people are just cheap and 99% of car owners aren't mechanically inclined enough to even tell you why your engine even needs oil in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatabbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

My guess is that people aren't as educated with oil as they are with food.

If you change your oil at the correct intervals, any decent oil that's certrified with the correct rating will be fine.

but on that note..a 2 for a dollar special in a dusty white can that says 'OIL' at a dollar store would probably not be a good choice..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I buy generic cereal. It tastes the same.
Generic milk. Same.
Generic green beans. Same.
Generic chicken. Same.
Generic rice. Same.

That's why I believe generic oil is the same as long as it's API certified.

The problem is that's is extrememly difficult to prove "better" oil is actually, better. Some tests have shown "cleaner looking" engines or "less wear." That may be all fine and dandy, but what we need to conclude is that oil brand X will or will not result in increased performance, economy, or longetivity. Bob can gloat about how Mobil 1 oil got his car 200K miles, but on the other hand, Joe got 200K out of Wal-Mart oil in the same model car.

If an engine fails, how many times can it be proven that it was due to using a particular brand of oil? Speaking of, assuming oil is changed on schedule, what potential engine failures could be due to generic oil? Specifically, why is generic oil "bad" for your engine? And I'm speaking of the attributes listed above: performance, economy, and longetivity.

I have yet to see proven, quantitative data showing that a particular brand of oil is better for my car. That's why I use the cheapest I can find.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token
I know alot of people that always have to buy brand name over generic when it comes to anything that they put into their mouths. They buy the most healthy, the less fattening, the leaner meat, the better brand name cereal, and soda pop.
I'm one of those that buys the best oil and filter I can find, but to answer your question - Because I can buy a new car if I blow this one up but I'm kinda stuck in this body.............

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Wow imagine that.....I agree with you Token!!!!

I guess everyday brings a suprise huh?

a good oil change program is the cheapest insurance for your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dschrader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dschrader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

The name on the can is not as important as the writing thats on the spine.If it meets manufacturers specs than its safe to use.IMO is more important to do changes at proper intervals DEPENDING on the kind of driving you do than picking a name brand thats 75 cents a quart more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt
The name on the can is not as important as the writing thats on the spine.If it meets manufacturers specs than its safe to use.IMO is more important to do changes at proper intervals DEPENDING on the kind of driving you do than picking a name brand thats 75 cents a quart more.
If thats the case, then why do people spend twice as much for clothing? It's the same stitching, it covers your arms and butt. But people will still spend 2-3 times more in price for clothes rather than the generic that they could buy at the cheapy Wallymart.
They buy brand name:
Clothes, Shoes, Food, Watches, Shampoo, Toothpaste, Soda Pop, etc. etc.
But they buy Generic oil.......I don't get it?!?

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
If thats the case, then why do people spend twice as much for clothing? It's the same stitching, it covers your arms and butt. But people will still spend 2-3 times more in price for clothes rather than the generic that they could buy at the cheapy Wallymart.
They buy brand name:
Because, the good expensive oils don't come with a sticker to put on your back window so that everyone can see. I use good oil becuase I buy my shirts off the bargain rack. Or they just spent all their money on the other expensive crap. I want a Mobil1 sticker to put next to my K&N sticker. That would be sweet!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They buy brand name:
Trust me, walmart jeans are NOT the same as some of the nicer jeans out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

It's not the oil that wears out. It's the additives that they put in it. The cheaper ones may not even have certain additives that help prolong engine life. So while I agree that you should spend some money on oil for your car, the reasons are for the additional benefits from the additives.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Funny thing is that although I always buy name brand oil to add if I'm running low, I have my oil changes done at Saturn service and I have absolutely no idea what brand or quality of oil they use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatabbot
Well, most people only keep a car a few years nowadays. They don't care if the care is going to make it to 100K miles.

Plus, people are just cheap and 99% of car owners aren't mechanically inclined enough to even tell you why your engine even needs oil in the first place.
I love this. Are those cheap people the same ones buying a new car every few years? If you didn't buy a car every few years you could afford decent oil.

I always use the yellow jug, Penzoil. For the most part that's the only oil the car has gotten, much like Shell gas.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

If you do your oil changes every 3,000 miles and keep the engine oil level full
if it burns some off, I think your engine will live longer.
I do an oil change every 3 to 4 weeks because of the mileage I put on.
Sometimes I go to jiffy lube, or another garage that can do it as I'm on the road. I run Valvoline, or castrol oil in it.
I used to change my oil myself but then I had more space to work.
I don't have a garage where I'm living now and out of respect for my landlord I don't want to spill oil on the driveway. Plus there's the problem of how to properly dispose of the oil. When I lived in NY, any garage would take it off your hands. Here in Massachusetts I don't have a clue but I'll put it to you this way-I'm not dumping it somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #15
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

I buy Valvoline or Quaker State engine oil when I change it myself. Otherwise I have my Saturn retailer do it for me. my 96 SC2 had 170,000 miles when I traded it in for a 2002 SC2 and my 92 SC had over 180,000 miles when I replaced it with the 96 SC2.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #16
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=John10]Funny thing is that although I always buy name brand oil to add if I'm running low, I have my oil changes done at Saturn service and I have absolutely no idea what brand or quality of oil they use.[/QUOT I think they use what they can get the better price for. Years ago when I worked for Jeep we had our oil pumped into a tank in the ground.It had some off name brand and I can assure you it was not Quaker state,but it meet or exceeded manufactures warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #17
walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
I buy Valvoline or Quaker State engine oil when I change it myself. Otherwise I have my Saturn retailer do it for me. my 96 SC2 had 170,000 miles when I traded it in for a 2002 SC2 and my 92 SC had over 180,000 miles when I replaced it with the 96 SC2.
And I would bet if you had used exxon motor oil or Hess motor oil you would of achieved the same milage out of both vehicles. IMO Its you oil changes that saved your engine,not the Quaker State label.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #18
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Pennywise....pound foolish.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #19
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Just like someone else said, one they don't know much about oil....and another thing someone brought up is about the "advertising" thing, if they wear "fancy designer clothes" they advertise say Tommy Hilfiger and they supposedly look more classy, which is so stupid that people are so stuck on labels.....who knows what kind of oil someone uses, LOL, it's not like you get a free sticker to put on your car.....oh, and it's not like what brand of oil you use is the happening thing to talk about or "show off".

But anyways, when I had my Satty before it got wrecked, since it was older and had more mileage, I used high mileage Valvoline.....but another reason I think people use a certain oil is because of what they were around growing up. I use Valvoline because that's what my dad and his dad used.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
2SL's&1SC
2SL's&1SC is on a distinguished road

In my experience I don't see a reason to use expensive oil. I use the cheap oil and filter from Walmart and have not had a problem. I've got a 91sl bought brand new, that's got over 195,000 miles on it, a 95sc2 that's got over 198,000 and a 98sw2 with 85,000 and have owned three other Saturns with no problems. Of course I change oil and filter every 3000 religiously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2SL's&1SC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2SL's&1SC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2SL's&1SC is offline   Reply With Quote